Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STOCK motor forum

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 07:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Monster Stock

I still like the Monster stock. I use F-Brushes and green+, Blue- springs. The motor will perform better after a few runs just don't over gear. If the brush turns purple on the ends they are toast. Run it in practice then a lite skim on the comm. Wipe the brush face with motor spray the reassemble. Run 1 min. at 2 volts and your ready to go. Don't forget to do all the other tricks you would do to your stockers. Hood align, ream, center arm, balance, straighten, ect.

My 2 cents
Jack
Old 12-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Im looking for some gearung advice for a Monster Stock for a medium size carpet track. I have a TC3 with a 72T spur in it. I had a 24T pinion in it but I figured the 24 would be too small. Any ideas?
Old 12-03-2006, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Can somebody measure the diameter of the screw that attaches the endbell to the can for me?

I don't have my stuff with me!

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2006, 01:29 AM
Tech Initiate

The screws that attach the endbell are 2.5mm metric and are usually 6 to 8mm in length. Dubro and rcscrews should have them.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

Looking for info on the Epic X-stock motor. Pros/cons? Gearing for sedan rubber car on asphalt medium track. Never run the motor before. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:30 PM
Tech Initiate

I usually use red and purple springs on my CO27 and Monsters. they are quite strong and I find i usually only get about 3-5 races out of a set of brushes. If I went to lighter springs, say green and red or lighter again what would be the result and performance changes?
Old 12-08-2006, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by edseb
Looking for info on the Epic X-stock motor. Pros/cons? Gearing for sedan rubber car on asphalt medium track. Never run the motor before. Thanks.
Anyone?
Old 12-08-2006, 12:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Well, the X-stock motor is what we ran at our regionals. The spring combo everybody (all stock classes) was given was red and purple with F brushes. I did not run that combo in my 12th scale. I found out that the brushes ended being run only once. So I ran a green/ green combo with 766's. It gave me plenty of power and the brushes lasted longer. You might want to gear it alittle lower by 2 or 3 teeth lower than the monster stock. The motor is a screamer and also has alittle more bottom end torque. I hope this gives you an idea on ow you need to setup the motor with respect to weight ratio on a TC to a 12th scale. Also you might want to ask some of the motor guys like Hyperform-Racing, EA Motorsports, Team Brood and etc... They will most likely be able to give you more direct help on setup for the motor.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:49 AM
Tech Adept

What is normal amp draw from a epic stock 27t motor? I am running f brushes with red and purple springs and when I ran it at 2v on my ICE, it topped out at 10amp(which brought up errors on my ice data screen) thanks and please let me know
Old 12-20-2006, 06:59 AM
Tech Champion

Ok I switched to a 29 with a P2K2, but I still could use some advice for a Monster. I don't have springs in either of mine and I want to get the right combination
Old 12-21-2006, 02:34 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by edseb
This is the newer version of the Epic ROAR stock. I only had 1 of them. Good for big tracks and smaller ones with flowing sections. I found I had to be smoother to get the most from it. Actually helped my driving. Went back to CO27 for carpet.

Comments posted on our local club forum:
"McSmooth 08-18-2006 11:44 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Epic X is a high RPM motor, hence the red/green spring combo. It can be used on big tracks. This is just the newer version of the Epic Roar stock.
However, for touring car racing you need to switch to purple pos/red neg springs, and put F brushes in there. This is pretty much THE stock motor setup that you'll run 90% of the time...."

I have found it to be pretty high rpm, smooth motor. You need to drive smooth in the infield because it seems to lack some of the low-mid range grunt of the CO27. But that makes you faster anyway.

Apparently this motor likes to be run, cleaned and run again on same brushes. A local sponsored driver who likes the Epic ROAR motors agreed he has seen this himself before, the good motor keeps getting better for 6-8 runs if you clean it and run it again without disturbing the brushes.

I remember the pro driver telling me gear it like the old Epics which I never ran. I don't see any notes on my gearing, but if I recall correctly, Mo Denton told me 1.08 to maybe 1.12. I think the 1.08 was spot on fast. That's inches. Or 27.4 to 28.5 mm on a medium to large track (112 x 76 range). Probably would be close to 1.0 rollout on med to small carpet track (36x72), maybe a bit lower, but that's just a guess.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:39 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jeffbhhs
What is normal amp draw from a epic stock 27t motor? I am running f brushes with red and purple springs and when I ran it at 2v on my ICE, it topped out at 10amp(which brought up errors on my ice data screen) thanks and please let me know
5 to 12 amps. Usually 6 to 8 for normal motors, maybe 9. Sometimes you get 9-12 range. Top national drivers will get 12-13 on a good one. Just make sure it is well lubed, not binding, centered, etc., bushings ok, etc. so the amp draw is not faking you out due to friction. Also if you have one, check spring tension on the springs with a spring thing.

10A is probably a good motor if everything is good on it. But the motorcheckers we use are limited in usefulness anyway. Best way to check is lap times or maybe get someone to run it on a fancy motor dyno if you know anybody with one. But if it drives fast times on the track, keep it for the big heats and mains, you know it's a good one.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:25 PM
Tech Adept

I checked everything on the motor and did make sure to lube it up...It seemed to run good... hopefully it will be a fast one like you said, I have yet to get it on the track lol
Old 12-21-2006, 06:59 PM

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

What should I start at rollout for a 12th on a med size track using a CO27 motor? Brushes? Springs?
Old 12-22-2006, 07:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

same question..... 40x60 track, new carpet, Monster Stock Pro.... Spring? brushes? Rollout?

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.