R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-07-2005, 08:53 AM   #2146
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mafiaracers Send a message via MSN to mafiaracers

All motors are good to go unless you're racing at a ROAR sanctioned event....in which you have to run ROAR approved stuff.

The Binary 2 motor has 4 magnets but the same arm as the Monster.....so it's essentially the same motor, but w/ 4 magnets. They don't work as much as they're hyped up to.

I'd stick with the Monster.

MAFIA MOTORSPORTS
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/168239-pit-board.html

TEAM WAVE
www.teamwaveonline.com

TQ Racing Wire
www.tqracing.com
mafiaracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 08:55 AM   #2147
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DirtyDog3375

Thanks for the quick replies fellas. Much appreciated.
DirtyDog3375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 10:24 AM   #2148
Tech Regular

are the trinity monsters good??
cars.cars.cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 10:31 AM   #2149
Tech Elite

did you read through the previous posts or just post that question?

It depends for what car, and what you are looking to acheive. THe monster is a good motor.
BritRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 12:01 PM   #2150
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to micros_rock

The Binary2 is a little different than just having 4 magnets compared to two. The armature is lighter than the Monster one because it has less laminations and shorter wire (not 100% positive on the last one, but pretty sure)
All of the above make it ROAR illegal.
Some people have put the Binary2 arm in a Monster can and have good results.
micros_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 03:57 PM   #2151
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to TeamPink91

Quote:
The Binary 2 motor has 4 magnets but the same arm as the Monster.....so it's essentially the same motor, but w/ 4 magnets. They don't work as much as they're hyped up to.
I use the hell out of the Epic ROAR stock motor and have great results, and I had to replace the arm today with a regular monster arm and it just completely fell on it's face. SO it does show that the lighter arm makes a difference. And yes I changed the gearing to compensate for the gain of torque and rpm loss.
TeamPink91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 08:15 PM   #2152
Tech Regular

just wondring this because i saw this when looking at motors. whats the difference between round and flat wires.
cars.cars.cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 08:51 PM   #2153
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by micros_rock
The Binary2 is a little different than just having 4 magnets compared to two. The armature is lighter than the Monster one because it has less laminations and shorter wire (not 100% positive on the last one, but pretty sure)
All of the above make it ROAR illegal.
Some people have put the Binary2 arm in a Monster can and have good results.
There are 5 motors

Revenge of The Monster - 40 lamination stack, legal wire length, 2 magnet can - green in color - EPIC27 on tag - Drill balanced arm

The Epic Roar Stock - 36 lamination stack, legal wire length, 2 Magnet can - Gold/Bronze in color - EPIC27 on tag - Drill balanced arm

The Binary 2 Outlaw Stock - 36 lamination short stack, does not meet required wire length, 4 magnet can - Satin/Silver looking can - Epoxy Balanced Arm - EPSTK27 on tag

The Trinity Monster handout - Purple endbell, Chrome can - 40 lamination stack, meets required wire length - Epoxy balanced arm

Then the Epic BRCA stock - not sure what specs this meets as I have never ran one.

Hope that helps.
erock1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 08:52 PM   #2154
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiaracers
All motors are good to go unless you're racing at a ROAR sanctioned event....in which you have to run ROAR approved stuff.

I'd stick with the Monster.

Actually that is wrong read my post above
Old 08-08-2005, 04:40 PM   #2155
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

What do you guys do to your stock motors for everyday type of maintenance? Just spray the heck out of it with motor cleaner until it runs clear?
Aries326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 07:19 PM   #2156
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO
Well, if you don't mind alittle less power and more difficult tuning, the Orion or Reedy stocks have the better FB9 magnets....so they won't suffer from the fade you see in the trinity stocks, which use the cheap wet press magnets.

You should just buy a Much More Motor cooler or use the ice trick.....start the motor out cooler and it won't have problems on those hot days....in fact, any day they are worth using.

Later EddieO
Eddie O-

Does this analogy work (better magnets) with regard to the 19T "spec" style motors from Trinity and Reedy (C2 and Flame)???

And which of the two would you recommend for 4 cell 1/12th touring (as well as brush/spring combos)???

Thanks,
JB

P.S. I realize this is a "stock" forum, but 19T are just hopped-up stockers, right?
out_to_lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:48 PM   #2157
Tech Regular

In regards to EddieO's statement re: the FB-9 magents in the MVP. He is absolutley correct.Think of it like this...
The armature produces a field, (electromagnetic) and the magents produce a field as well. If the field the arm produces is stronger than that of the magnets, the arm will demagnetize or kill the magents. If the magnets field is significantly greater than the field the arm produces, it will "choke" the arm from spinning. The key is to get as close balance in strengths, with the magnets being a bit stronger to prevent them from becoming demagnetized.
Trinity/Epic stocks and C2's utilize an FB-6 magnet. Perfect for these applications, since the arm field is somewhat weak.
Trinity/Epic mods, Yokomo/Reedy mods, (and the MVP stock),Checkpoint mods as well as the TOP Peak / Orion V2 Mods all utilize the stronger TDK FB-9. Great magnet for modifieds, a bit too strong for stocks running on 4-6 cells.

JB: The FB-6 magents are better for 1/12th stock. These can be found in any of the current Trinity/Epic based stocks.
My suggestion for a brush/spring combo for 1/12th is our #EFB-180 Brushes with our 7.0/Green springs. We've used this combination to win the Snowbirds the past 3 years in a row as well as the Cleveland Indoor Champs and the ROAR On Road Carpet Nats this year.

Hope this helps,
Todd Putnam
Putnam Propulsion
www.putnampropulsion.com
518-452-0422
Todd Putnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 10:13 PM   #2158
Tech Elite

I may be missing something, but the efb-180 dont appear to be on your site?
BritRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 06:10 AM   #2159
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries326
What do you guys do to your stock motors for everyday type of maintenance? Just spray the heck out of it with motor cleaner until it runs clear?
If you really wanna deep clean the motor take it apart. Take the can and endbell and spray with some lysol tub and tile cleaner. Use an old toothbrush on it. The rinse it off with water and dry it off.
I typically clean the arm by spraying it with motor spray and taking and old toothbrush to clean the wire. then spray off with motor spray and use compressed air or my compressor to blow it off real good.

Spray some motor cleaner on a Q-tip and put the Q-tip in each brush hood. Do this until you can stick a clean Q-tip in and make it come out white, not dirty, this way you know everything is out of the hood.

Cut the com, put new brushes in, break-in for your desired amount and run it.

For general track maintenance. I will take the motor apart. Cut the com, spray out the can with motor spray, re-brush it, clean the hoods out with Q-tip, break it in. Run it. Then if I plan to run it again I just normally hook it up and run it a 2volts for 20 seconds and spray it out with motor spray. Then spray out with compressed air real good, especially the hoods. I dont like to leave any motor spray in there.

If I run the motor a 3rd time, before I do that, I will take the brush out and put some motor spray on a Q-tip and roll it around the face of the brush. If the brushes look okay I will run them again. If the serrations are gone you can try re-serrating but I normally just replace them. Make sure if you use the same brushes, put them in the same way you took them out to avoid having to break them in again and re-seat them.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:06 PM   #2160
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Putnam
In regards to EddieO's statement re: the FB-9 magents in the MVP. He is absolutley correct.Think of it like this...
The armature produces a field, (electromagnetic) and the magents produce a field as well. If the field the arm produces is stronger than that of the magnets, the arm will demagnetize or kill the magents. If the magnets field is significantly greater than the field the arm produces, it will "choke" the arm from spinning. The key is to get as close balance in strengths, with the magnets being a bit stronger to prevent them from becoming demagnetized.
Trinity/Epic stocks and C2's utilize an FB-6 magnet. Perfect for these applications, since the arm field is somewhat weak.
Trinity/Epic mods, Yokomo/Reedy mods, (and the MVP stock),Checkpoint mods as well as the TOP Peak / Orion V2 Mods all utilize the stronger TDK FB-9. Great magnet for modifieds, a bit too strong for stocks running on 4-6 cells.

JB: The FB-6 magents are better for 1/12th stock. These can be found in any of the current Trinity/Epic based stocks.
My suggestion for a brush/spring combo for 1/12th is our #EFB-180 Brushes with our 7.0/Green springs. We've used this combination to win the Snowbirds the past 3 years in a row as well as the Cleveland Indoor Champs and the ROAR On Road Carpet Nats this year.

Hope this helps,
Todd Putnam
Putnam Propulsion
www.putnampropulsion.com
518-452-0422
Actually, that pretty much confirms what I'd suspected for some time about why the MVP design wasn't producing the kind of power I was hoping for. I wondered for awhile if those magnets in it were simply too strong for the arm, though I didn't have the level of education to confirm it(just figured it from my own tinkering with them & Epic-based stocks with my Robitronic dyno), & I also wondered if that also had something to do with why MVP's always seem to run hotter than Epics, even though they didn't seem to suffer as much from it.....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote