R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-08-2005, 09:08 AM   #2056
Tech Apprentice

Has any one found you have to gear way up when running F line brushes? Most fast guys were I race are running stock sedan at a 28mm rollout or lower. My car was a dog at 28, and the motor was cold. I had the motor checked on a friends dyno, and it looked ok, so I tried gearing it up. I am now 4 teeth bigger on the pinion (about 31 roll out). It just keeps getting faster, and is now slightly warm, still not hot. Is it normal to have to gear up, or am I going down some strainge road?
ukeejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 10:02 AM   #2057
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default F-Brush

How long do the F-Brushes last?

Someday, I hope to be the man my dog thinks I am.
StewartFan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 02:16 PM   #2058
Tech Rookie

Default Noobie to stock motors

Hello,

After learning much about stock motors by skimming, polishing bushings, aligning bush hoods, I have finally decided to play with spring tension. I managed to get a integy xipp spring dyno, and a bunch of trinity springs. I found the stated values on the packets (like 9oz) to be way off - some were more like 6oz.

I have recently bought a Monster type motor and a P2K2 and was planning on using the old polarised brush technique like red on the positive and green on the negitive, but I can't really trust the packet values. Has anybody else had this experience ?

Also I run on a large flowing track. So I am thinking about using the monster with a green\blue trinity spring combo with 4499 brushes - would this be too weak a combo (I am wanting revs here)? - and when would I use a much harder combo like purple\red - would this be for tight tracks ?

Thanks

Al.
Al Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 02:36 PM   #2059
Tech Rookie

Default Fiddle Stick

Anybody know what a Big Jim Fiddle Stick unit equivalent is in ounzes or grammes ?
Al Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 03:52 PM   #2060
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Fiddle Stick

Quote:
Originally posted by Al Williams
Anybody know what a Big Jim Fiddle Stick unit equivalent is in ounzes or grammes ?

Take a fiddle stick and press it down on a scale until you get to 1 oz or 1 gram and take the reading off the fiddle stick.
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 04:10 PM   #2061
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Proteus

Quote:
Originally posted by ukeejim
Has any one found you have to gear way up when running F line brushes? Most fast guys were I race are running stock sedan at a 28mm rollout or lower. My car was a dog at 28, and the motor was cold. I had the motor checked on a friends dyno, and it looked ok, so I tried gearing it up. I am now 4 teeth bigger on the pinion (about 31 roll out). It just keeps getting faster, and is now slightly warm, still not hot. Is it normal to have to gear up, or am I going down some strainge road?
Gearing depends alot on your driving style too. Also given the same motor there can be as much as 3-5 tooth difference. Don't worry too much about how others are geared. If I'm going to a new track I use the "Locals'" rollout as a reference point and go up or down as needed or I'll just gear my car for the longest straight and go down from there. One of the fast guys at our track runs a 2mm higher rollout than most of the guys. Everytime we try to gear the same way as this guy, we end up with a motor that is dead after about 3 minutes. So don't worry too much. You're doing the right thing as far as gearing until the motor starts to get hot.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 04:32 PM   #2062
Tech Regular

Default Re: brushes

Quote:
Originally posted by crACkeD ChaSsiS
kmorast-were did u get the F-brushes from? and wat springs were u running and on wat side did u run them on>?
I've gotten f brushes from both express motorsports and EA motorsports you can also get them at rc4less. I was running a red spring on + and a green spring on -. The fiddlestick said 6.5 on + and 6.0 on negative.
kmorast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 07:22 PM   #2063
Tech Addict

Default I still do not have a cluse on gearing

"So don't worry too much. You're doing the right thing as far as gearing until the motor starts to get hot"

What is considered overheated?
If you gear so you hit max speed on straightaway, then are you really going to have enough torque on the twisty part of the track?
Even if you lose a few feet to another car coming down the straight cause you are undergeared, won't you make it up with better acceleration on the next couple turns?

For me the gearing is a crap shot, I guess I have never found away to accurately guage what ratio is best.
imjonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 08:16 PM   #2064
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to micros_rock
Default Re: I still do not have a cluse on gearing

Quote:
Originally posted by imjonah
"So don't worry too much. You're doing the right thing as far as gearing until the motor starts to get hot"

If you gear so you hit max speed on straightaway, then are you really going to have enough torque on the twisty part of the track?
Even if you lose a few feet to another car coming down the straight cause you are undergeared, won't you make it up with better acceleration on the next couple turns?

For me the gearing is a crap shot, I guess I have never found away to accurately guage what ratio is best.
Ask the fast guy at your track
micros_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:59 AM   #2065
Tech Regular

Default Re: I still do not have a cluse on gearing

Quote:
Originally posted by imjonah

I use a tempgun. Right after a full length heat I check motor temp at the endbell. For me running outdoors on asphalt I usually want the temp around 170-180F. That is really hot but its not too hot for stock racing. Any serious asphalt racer should have a tempgun anyway to check the track temps for tire selection.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:57 PM   #2066
Tech Fanatic

I agree.
Charlie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 12:21 PM   #2067
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Ive been reading people talking about the big jim fiddle stick. Is it very accurate? Exactly how does it work. Ive never seen a picture of it.

cheerz
Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 02:40 PM   #2068
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Obsidian
Ive been reading people talking about the big jim fiddle stick. Is it very accurate? Exactly how does it work. Ive never seen a picture of it.

cheerz
The fiddle stick is not made by Big Jim,he just endorses it.It gives you a refrence point which is all you need to measure your motor springs,as long as it is the only tool you use you'll be fine.I've had mine for several years now and it works fine.If you get one make sure you take some 2000 grit sandpaper and go over the end with it to remove any burrs that it might have and apply a little lubrication and it will be as smooth as glass.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:59 PM   #2069
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Know of any pics I can check out.
Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 03:26 PM   #2070
Tech Fanatic

http://rc4less.safeshopper.com/43/203.htm?424