R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-25-2005, 11:14 PM   #1966
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by James Nguyen
You guys believe too much in the numbers. Numbers can all vary from dyno to dyno and calibration. I buy motors that I can't even look at the numbers and run them out of the package. I ran an out of the package motor at the last big race. It had 59 watts on the sticker. Stickers are nothing on the track. Just make sure everything is running smooth and aligned. You can give me or Aaron any stock motor you have and we will make it fast.
American (r/c) idols you both are...I should start pitting next to you guys...

And...if I could carry the speed you two have through the corners, I wouldn't be bothering much about my motors.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 11:16 PM   #1967
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by JRX-S Bill
American (r/c) idols you both are...I should start pitting next to you guys...

And...if I could carry the speed you two have through the corners, I wouldn't be bothering much about my motors.
Or you could just come up to us and ask us for help. We don't bite. I am always willing to give out the setup I am running on my car. If I am at the track I will always help anyone dial their cars in, but you have to come up to me as I don't really watch people practice too much.
James Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 11:48 PM   #1968
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by James Nguyen
Or you could just come up to us and ask us for help. We don't bite. I am always willing to give out the setup I am running on my car. If I am at the track I will always help anyone dial their cars in, but you have to come up to me as I don't really watch people practice too much.
You know...I've always had this fear of pink...

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 11:53 PM   #1969
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

James you racing down here this weekend? I want you to make me fast!
tboned_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 11:53 PM   #1970
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by JRX-S Bill
You know...I've always had this fear of pink...
Then I guess you won't be racing for a while then
Old 01-25-2005, 11:54 PM   #1971
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by tboned_2002
James you racing down here this weekend? I want you to make me fast!
I'm gonna try to get the day off by switching shifts with someone but I'm not sure if that's gonna happen.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:38 AM   #1972
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default binary

mccbri, small tracks run a purple positve and red negative..on large run red /green combo ....serrations are always better..run 767's or aggresive tech brushes..
AARON YOUNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 12:44 AM   #1973
Tech Addict

Default watts?

you guys say 63 was good ?thats average the best were 67 to 69..should of bought all the ones i sold for 10 bucks..
Old 01-26-2005, 05:38 AM   #1974
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to Essnowyt

Hello there motor guys. I race stock rubber touring cars with Monster HP motors. What have you guys found to be the best spring combo for 767's and a small track? Thanks for all your help.
Snowy.

Drive it, Dont slide it!
Essnowyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 06:54 AM   #1975
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by out_to_lunch
Any thoughts on spring combinations for carpet 1/12th scale stock 4 cell? Would that purple spring be too much for this class?

Thanks,
Joe
lunch,

For 1/12 scale, try green springs all around. Because of the lower voltage and amperage in 1/12 scale, purple and red springs are simply not needed. The reason for going to heavier springs is to stop the brush from being blown off the comm by the arcing that occurs. The only thing that heavier springs do for 1/12 scale is increase the drag on the comm. I have experimented with a blue spring on the negative but didn't have much success. Hope this answers your question.
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 10:53 AM   #1976
Tech Adept

I'm confused. Is it good to have a high motor amp draw or not? My motor only pulls about 7/7.5 amps and an experienced racing friend of mine says his motors draw 9/9.5 amps which he says is better. However, some of the posts in this thread suggest that a high amp draw is bad.

Is a monster or P2K2 better on a tight indoor track?
ralph_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 12:20 PM   #1977
Tech Addict

essnowyt the red/green combo is the best all around for the 767.

ralph c ...amp draw is good if their is nothing wrong with the motor ...but an oversprung motor or a bushing binding or shimmed to tight can cause high amp draw..
Old 01-26-2005, 12:24 PM   #1978
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by ralph_c
I'm confused. Is it good to have a high motor amp draw or not? My motor only pulls about 7/7.5 amps and an experienced racing friend of mine says his motors draw 9/9.5 amps which he says is better. However, some of the posts in this thread suggest that a high amp draw is bad.

Is a monster or P2K2 better on a tight indoor track?
Ralph,

First, lets answer your second question. It's been a long time since I have run a P2K2. From what i've seen, they produce more torque than a monster. So it might be a better motor for touring car. But if your running a 1/12 scale, that much torque is not needed to move something so small and light. Go with the monster. Maybe. Here's something i've read in Big Jim's Motor Black book that has helped me when tuning motors or buying new motors. "Always go with the motor that produces the highest power number. You can always compensate for the lack of rpm or torque with the proper gear ratio." Here's why. Power (watts) = rpm x torque. It doesn't matter if the motor has a little less rpm as long as the amount of torque makes up for it. The reverse is true for torque. If the motor is down on torque, such as the new Epic ROAR stocks, the rpms should be high enough to bring the power number up when multiplied times the torque figure. Does this answer your question about the monster vs. P2K2?

As for the issue of how many amps the motor pulls. Generally speaking, the higher the amps, the more power it makes. This idea is fine for touring car, where the cars are heavier and making run time in a race doesn't really come into play. For 1/12 scale, run time definitely matters. I run 1/12 scale, so my good motors usually pull between 9-9.5 amps during break-in. If your motors are pulling 7-7.5 amps, they may need to be rebuilt or you may need a new one all together.

Hope I helped some.
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 12:37 PM   #1979
Tech Apprentice

I assume you guys are talking @ 5 volts for the above amp readings, please correct me if I am wrong
Jim D.
ukeejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 02:30 PM   #1980
Tech Adept

I got my amp rating at 3v I think on my friends turbo CFX during break in. I've just skimmed it and put in new brushes (4499's) so maybe the motor needs replacing. Still keeps up with the others well enough though. (need to improve driving before it will win me races anyway)

I've always run a monster up till now, but I was just looking on the Trinity site where it says the P2K2 is more torgue based so just wondered.

Thanks for the help.
ralph_c is offline   Reply With Quote