R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-14-2014, 06:33 PM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)
Send a message via AIM to RCaddict0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eivind E View Post
I've just sat here trying to think of anything made in the USA, that I've used in this hobby the last 10 years, and I've been completely stumped.

Is there anything still made in the USA? Maybe Novak?
Novak electronics and castle creations ESC' s only. CC motors are made in China. But they are made by Castle Holdings LLC
RCaddict0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:17 PM   #32
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLunsford13095034
I don't buy from China if all possible...
Pay a little more and buy Made in the USA.
Speedmerchant, BSR tires, Protoform bodies, CRC, Exotek, Pro-Line Racing, Deans, Lunsford, RPM, MIP, Robinson Racing Products... There are still a few things made in the USA.
avink007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:40 AM   #33
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr RCTech View Post
I don't buy from China if all possible...
Pay a little more and buy Made in the USA.
Where companies source some/all materials from elsewhere.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=au

http://www.importgenius.com/importer...lectronics-inc

http://www.importgenius.com/importers/novak-electronic-inc

As far as I'm aware, Eustace Moore sources the least products from Asia to operate his business.

I visited the US a few years ago, a friend was a designer at GM in Detroit so checked it out. Very sad sight to think of all the amazing derelict factories in their hey day. It was really amazing to see a huge run down factory that was ready to be torn down. There was a huge feint mural on the side wall that read " ##acme## wire co. I never considered before(apart from down and out in Bev. Hills) that something so inexpensive, basic and common as wire coat hangers would be made anywhere else in the world other than asia.

It's a world market, gone are the days when a country could monopolise. Unfortuneately poor planning, diversification and foresight resulted in many factories and jobs being lost. It's not possible for many companies to stay competitive without sourcing cheaper labour. Manufacturers, Governments and we the end buyer are to blame.

Last edited by midse; 03-15-2014 at 06:29 AM.
midse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:32 AM   #34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avink007 View Post
Speedmerchant, BSR tires, Protoform bodies, CRC, Exotek, Pro-Line Racing, Deans, Lunsford, RPM, MIP, Robinson Racing Products... There are still a few things made in the USA.
I'm pretty sure not all of the companies above make ALL their products in the USA...
Old 03-15-2014, 09:47 PM   #35
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veecee View Post
I'm pretty sure not all of the companies above make ALL their products in the USA...
You are right, the new molded side links for the Speedmerchant Rev 8 come from Japan and the some of the foam BSR uses is from other countries. There are very few things in our world that are made entirely one country.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:50 PM   #36
Tech Regular

I have ordered a few things from HobbyKing and have had good luck. Shipping is a little slow, but fine otherwise.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:52 PM   #37
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Default The "Delay Discount" Not Working?

I, too, have ordered quite a bit from HobbyKing and been satisfied. However, I've only ever ordered from the warehouse in the US where I live. I get stuff quickly from there.

HOWEVER - I do have a question for all of you on something I've recently experienced...

Have any of you waited for the "Delay Discount" only to have it not transfer to your shopping cart after you click on it? I've been trying to order a few things for the past three days. I've not yet placed the order because each time I wait for the discount delay on the parts I want, the lower price does not show up in the cart.

That should TOTALLY work! I saw a guy do it on Youtube!
MailManX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:02 PM   #38
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MailManX View Post
I, too, have ordered quite a bit from HobbyKing and been satisfied. However, I've only ever ordered from the warehouse in the US where I live. I get stuff quickly from there.

HOWEVER - I do have a question for all of you on something I've recently experienced...

Have any of you waited for the "Delay Discount" only to have it not transfer to your shopping cart after you click on it? I've been trying to order a few things for the past three days. I've not yet placed the order because each time I wait for the discount delay on the parts I want, the lower price does not show up in the cart.
Clear cache/cookies and try again.
Jethroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:53 PM   #39
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethroz View Post
Clear cache/cookies and try again.
Doh! I'm embarrassed. I should have thought of that! Thanks, it worked.

That should TOTALLY work! I saw a guy do it on Youtube!
MailManX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:37 PM   #40
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyba888 View Post
Spent thousands at hobby king their parts are not bad for the price. Shipping time was also reasonable.
+1

I just checked my customer profile and I have a total of 27 orders dated back to 2011. Out of all those orders, I have only once had to make a warranty claim to which they honored. Customer service has been slow at times, but very much acceptable for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveaustin5 View Post
Hobbyking will always divide opinion. Their size allows them to blow others out of the water on pricing. Their business model is going to antagonise others and I'm sure smaller shops fear them in the way greengrocers feared Wal-Mart/Tesco etc... And they're right to do so and try to protect their business.

As for 'supporting the hobby', HK do that by offering very low cost alternatives. They might not support local racing but in the UK, there's not many shops that are.

I've been buying from them for quite a few years and will continue to do so.

What I would say to prospective buyers is that they should always read the reviews and comments when buying something and apply a bit of common sense. If you're spending $5 on a servo, expect to get a $5 servo.
+1.... this is some VERY good advice here... I have definitely come across a few hit/miss items and folks are generally spot on in the product reviews. Fortunately, HK doesn't censor their reviews which is really nice, unlike other distributors who only leave favorable notes on their product pages.

There is also a BuddyCode system to further gain higher savings and I always check for codes before every purchase and also post subsequent codes after a purchase to get credit rewards when someone else uses one of my codes later:

http://hk.rc-international.info/swarm

I've found many products sold by HK to be rebranded items sold by major brand names in the US, so if you do your homework, you can really find some high quality products... also keep in mind that HobbyKing/Turnigy is just a distributor (much like OFNA in the US)... they usually do a good job of pulling products from distribution when folks start making complaints. If there are no reviews for a new product, then realize the risk that YOU are the guinea pig for that product.

Happy Bargain Hunting
billdelong is online now   Reply With Quote