R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-14-2014, 01:05 AM   #16
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
HK is absolute crap. Their service is crap. The products are crap Chinese junk.
Maybe some of Chinese products are junk, but that's don't means all. As we all know, most of iPhone and iPad was manufactured in China, but they are great.

So if you get the parts from a decent manufacture, that's not a problem.

But if you want to get a parts with low price, then maybe you will get a fake/crap one.
davidwills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:31 AM   #17
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
HK is absolute crap. Their service is crap. The products are crap Chinese junk.
Oh yes I must agree
The XRAY they sell are crap
THE Sakura they sell are crap
The Genuine Futaba & JR they sell are crap
The iCharger they sell are crap
The Hobbywing they sell are crap

Oh , I must complain that when I buy $4 servos, not all of them work !!!!
the horrors
It takes more than 2 days for them to ship products half way around the world, when I choose the cheapest shipping option they have.
Where will it all end ?
1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:47 AM   #18
Bar
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have been running a model shop for ten years here in the UK, and been racing rc cars competitively for about 20 years, and I'm afraid to say you do get what you pay for. I currently race electric touring cars and all my stuff is by a quality manufacture. I use KO, icharger, Hudy, GM and IP. We have recently had some issues with cheap lipo chargers £35 and under, as well as some issues with some slightly cheaper power supplies
Old 03-14-2014, 05:54 AM   #19
Tech Regular

Default Support--no

Reasons to support giant online retailers.....like hobbycrap.

They work closely with all the major racing orginizations to propel our hobby forward.

they sponsor many drivers that are all uber helpful at your local track with information about how best to use those products.

They support the local hobby stores by selling them items at fantastical discounts so the stores can continue to operate.

The weekend races they run are always sold out because they give back so much to the racers and have the best competition.

The products the rep are all approved by our race orginizations because they are all fantastic, well thought out, extremely high quality, necessities.

Their online support is recognized world wide for it's speed and expertise.

So remember this when you purchase from these locations.... do not worry.
They have your back, they want to earn your business.

But the best thing is that you yourself are helping bring the RC hobby more into the mainstream by supporting these mfg and retailers.
They are the bedrock of this hobby.
Without them, who would sell you that hobby quality part for a dollar less than....

Your local hobby shop!
Remember this when your track closes, you saved a bundle buying from these crooks.

Regards.

Darrald Spencer
drsfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:54 AM   #20
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo quevas View Post
Novak is made in the USA

NOVAK BUILT AND SUPPORTED
Novak takes pride in its manufacturing facility in Lake Forest, California and also with its use of high-quality components and assembly and testing processes. Each Novak EDGE 2S/Ballistic 540 Brushless System is designed, assembled, and tested in the Novak factory to Novak’s exacting standards. All Novak products are supported by Novak’s knowledgeable customer support staff and race team
Funny that. Wanna know why SO MANY PEOPLE are so quick to underline Novak's "awesome customer support" ? It's because SO MANY PEOPLE have had to deal with their customer support. I'll be honest, in my dealings with novak they have been nice and did replace my faulty product- once I sent it back to them at my own expense. I'll just avoid buying from them in the future because I've been disappointed with the performance, with the manufacturing quality and reliability of the sole product I bought from them. (Mongoose+ three 80 combo, both faulty).

People praising Novak's quality are in serious denial IMO, and maybe just trying to justify in their own eyes how much they spent on their stuff.

The only customer support I'm looking for is the one I'll never have to get in touch with.

That being said, I've been delighted with Hobbyking in most regards. In fact I've spent several hundreds of dollars in their shop and will gladly do it again. I did have had to get in touch with their customer service recently, provided them with a written description and a 10-second video I shot with my phone to document my issue, and they accepted to replace my item without further questioning. Enough said.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:32 AM   #21
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hobbyking will always divide opinion. Their size allows them to blow others out of the water on pricing. Their business model is going to antagonise others and I'm sure smaller shops fear them in the way greengrocers feared Wal-Mart/Tesco etc... And they're right to do so and try to protect their business.

As for 'supporting the hobby', HK do that by offering very low cost alternatives. They might not support local racing but in the UK, there's not many shops that are.

I've been buying from them for quite a few years and will continue to do so.

What I would say to prospective buyers is that they should always read the reviews and comments when buying something and apply a bit of common sense. If you're spending $5 on a servo, expect to get a $5 servo.
daveaustin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:06 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)
Send a message via AIM to RCaddict0

Ya'll see this new pic above HK's "what do you want to see us come out w next" Im seeing a chinese XO-1 in th works!
As for the HK's quality. I cant say anything bad. Ive had many different items from Hobbypartz, Hobbyking, valuehobby and the failure rate has been no different than Castle, Novak, Spek. Ill agree their QC isnt what Castle n Novak probably work by, but considering the cost is about 1/3 of "namebrand" there a good buy most of the time.
Pay $100 for a name brand lipo or $20 for a pack and have 5! Even if one craps out your still up w 4 packs
* And sadly most "American" products are made in China, Mexico, Japan, Tiawan,etc. Ant shit made in the US no more
RCaddict0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:22 AM   #23
Tech Apprentice

I have made alot of order from hobbyking. Sometimes i do get a crappy item. (trex 450 clone) But tbh you can't expect that much for 50 bucks lol..

I've been buying my brushless setups from them with succes! I really like the trackstar items! Also there lipo's are so much cheaper then at my LHS. You pay 2x the price for one here so why would i not order them from HK?
Plus EU warehouse is fast shipping for me!
Lyrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:39 AM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

So the seller wants to see proof that the product is faulty. Why is this poor customer service? Be happy that they didn't ask you to spend more money and send the product back! I think it is actually pretty decent customer service...
Old 03-14-2014, 09:50 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)
Send a message via AIM to RCaddict0

Quote:
Originally Posted by veecee View Post
So the seller wants to see proof that the product is faulty. Why is this poor customer service? Be happy that they didn't ask you to spend more money and send the product back! I think it is actually pretty decent customer service...
Yea! I agree thats damn good! Most would rather you return it in which youd be out $10
RCaddict0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:38 AM   #26
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr RCTech View Post
I don't buy from China if all possible...
Pay a little more and buy Made in the USA.
Haha, that's fine in theory, but you are going to pay A LOT more for those items and there is nothing to say they are any better in terms of quality compared to items made in China etc.

I have no issues buying all kinds of stuff from HK/China. I've never been disappointed.
CamLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:03 AM   #27
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I've had nothing but good experiences with Hobbyking. Bought a bunch of batteries and chargers and motors from them and always got quick shipping.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:50 PM   #28
Tech Rookie

Quote:

What do you buy that's made in America?
RP Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:12 PM   #29
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula, California, Unites States of America
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I've ordered several thousands worth from HK and never had a problem with anything. Mostly batteries some some random electronics. None of my batteries have even puffed.

Can't say the same for some crappy and expensive $100+ Orion packs I bought that puffed on me within a few cycles.

Hit or miss I guess. HK has been all hits for me.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:28 PM   #30
Tech Master

Quote:
I've just sat here trying to think of anything made in the USA, that I've used in this hobby the last 10 years, and I've been completely stumped.

Is there anything still made in the USA? Maybe Novak?
Eivind E is offline   Reply With Quote