Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When to retire rubber tires on carpet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 10:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default When to retire rubber tires on carpet?

I am new to TC racing and I was wondering how do you know when a tire has lost its edge or is no longer worth running anymore--specifically talking about rubber tire on carpet. This is assuming it still looks "ok". I can't tell if the tire goes away or the car caught a tweak. Is it just something that comes with time and experience or is there something in particular to look for?
Old 03-13-2014, 11:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by d16dcoe45
I am new to TC racing and I was wondering how do you know when a tire has lost its edge or is no longer worth running anymore--specifically talking about rubber tire on carpet. This is assuming it still looks "ok". I can't tell if the tire goes away or the car caught a tweak. Is it just something that comes with time and experience or is there something in particular to look for?
I don't know what tires you run but I run carpet mostly all the time. I use sorex 28 and they do wear but still able to maintain grip. You can tell after each race day by all the deposits dumped into the body. If you're a consistent driver you can tell that the tires have began to lose their edge. Car will push at the apex, lose rear end etc. It also depends on how serious you are for that couple of tenth and if you're willing to spend the money. I club race mainly and I'll change sets after a month or so of weekly racing. I also flip L and R not Front and back. I do have quite a few sets only because of multiple cars.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Similiar vein to what b20 said, after about a month of running (practice and racing) its time for a new set. Our RD is a heavy TC guy and quotes 30 runs (we are using Sweep 28 QTS). I notice when mine start to develop a ring on the inside edge its time for new ones and that older tires feel "loose" (or flabby maybe?).

Before I make any setup changes I try new tires first as that has usually been the fix it seems. This should hold true if you only race at one location and traction is consistent.

Regardless, do NOT rotate your tires more than once. Tires tend to wear differently depending on the corner and moving them around creates odd handling (different from worn out tires).

PS. One additional item. This is for sedan tires. VTA tires, drive till they pop, then think about replacing them!
Old 03-13-2014, 11:59 AM
Tech Master

When your laptimes drop off. The clock never lies to you. It will tell you when your tires are done.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sometimes worn-out 'flabby' tires can be good. I had a completely blown out set of Sweep 30's that I ran until they fell apart.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Laptimes or when they feel weird, they typically start to get inconsistent, you can also lightly tap the rubber and see if it's "sticking" to the insert, this is usually a sign the tires are getting bad.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

When you can see the insert.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

thanks for responses. It seems to be Sweep QTS 32 at our carpet track. I jist noticed the other day practicing alone ( track was loose) that by the end of the day--even saucing each run with SXT--the last pack the car felt very greasy. This was after 1 race day and a full practice day on the same set. Compared to off road, these TCs are SO sensitive to tweak and setup that I wasn't sure if it was tires or some issue with a tweaked car!
Old 03-13-2014, 01:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by d16dcoe45
thanks for responses. Its mostly Sweep QTS 32 at our carpet track. I jist noticed the other day practicing alone ( track was loose) that by the end of the day--even saucing each run with SXT--the last pack the car felt very greasy. This was after 1 race day and a full practice day on the same set. Compared to off road, these TCs are SO sensitive to tweak and setup that I wasn't sure if it was tires or some issue with a tweaked car!
When I started on carpet I came in thinking that I would never need to change anything since it's covered and it's carpet! I do minor setup adjustment on carpet, it will vary. I always keep my car tip top shape each time, if I don't my race time will suffer.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Me and my son been running on the same sweep 32 spec tire we bought and raced at the Cleveland champs this past nov. Thats 23heats , 7 mains, and atleast 30 runs for practice.
I rotated front to rear 1 time . Only setting we have changed is camber as track gets sticker. This past weakend my son told me his car was loose . Come to find out he had both front tires riped open on outside edge. Wished every tire in my box was from that race ....
anyome got any they didnt run or still show seam that say 2013 Cleaveland champsill buy them
Old 03-13-2014, 04:08 PM
Tech Master

When you see the belting around the tire, then it's time to change. It also depends on what class you're running. If you're running in modified, then it's obviously going to chew up tires quicker than if you're running in say 17.5.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Why rotate only once? Why not after every single run. Rotate them in a cross box pattern similar to a car.

LF→LR. LR→RF. RF→RR RR→LF. Every 4 runs the tires will be where they started.

If your track is like mine the FR tire gets alot more wear on it due to the layout. Without rotating it would wear out long before the LF tire and ruining the set.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Why rotate only once? Why not after every single run. Rotate them in a cross box pattern similar to a car.

LF→LR. LR→RF. RF→RR RR→LF. Every 4 runs the tires will be where they started.

If your track is like mine the FR tire gets alot more wear on it due to the layout. Without rotating it would wear out long before the LF tire and ruining the set.
Because of how the tires wear in so to speak. In your case the LF probably has a more rounded outside shoulder due to the higher wear and actually allows flatter contact to the main patch. If you keep rotating all your tires will develop that stretched shoulder and provide inconsistent/odd handling.

Tires are cheap, we aren't talking hundreds or thousands like real tires which it makes sense to rotate. Ever notice how 1:1 race cars don't rotate their tires in the pits but go for a fresh set?
Old 03-14-2014, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Jay: I was obviously at the same race as you. my first TQ run was on 3 week old sweep 32's. The car was ok but felt inconsistent. my last TQ run was over a lap faster on brand new tires. The car felt the same every single lap. I full sauced with SXT all day on all my tires. The first tires I ran had the wear mark on them and i expected them to be slower especially because the sidewalls had become way too soft. I would say if you are killing tires quickly it may be overheating due to setup. Setup is important to onroad when you use a spec tire. I be if you put a sorex28 on your car you would have thought it was the best setup ever. In local offroad you have a choice of 50 tires so setup may have a larger window because you can just pick a softer/stickier tire.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mkiiina
Ever notice how 1:1 race cars don't rotate their tires in the pits but go for a fresh set?

Actually on full scale road racers, the tires are measured and matched back into a set by size. This is called a set of scuffs, depending on wear the tire may not end back up on the corner it came from.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.