R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-14-2014, 09:08 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiiina View Post
Because of how the tires wear in so to speak. In your case the LF probably has a more rounded outside shoulder due to the higher wear and actually allows flatter contact to the main patch. If you keep rotating all your tires will develop that stretched shoulder and provide inconsistent/odd handling.

Tires are cheap, we aren't talking hundreds or thousands like real tires which it makes sense to rotate. Ever notice how 1:1 race cars don't rotate their tires in the pits but go for a fresh set?
But thats the point of rotation... to ensure they all do wear evenly. That way when you take them off the car, it genenerally doesnt matter where they go back on, just as long as you keep the rotation constant. If all the tires are the same, I dont understand how the handling wouod be inconsistant. As for cost, I wouldn't dismiss it so easily. I mean $30 bucks thats last only 2-3 racedays, sometimes less does get pricey. I understand its part of racing, but if there is a way to stretch that, I think we should.

As for 1:1 cars. They dont get rotated because as a general rule, the tires are pretty much spent after just 1 run. The ones that arent, like mentioned before, are turned into practice tires.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:16 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patorz31 View Post
Actually on full scale road racers, the tires are measured and matched back into a set by size. This is called a set of scuffs, depending on wear the tire may not end back up on the corner it came from.
In this case you are correct but you are talking about resorting multiple sets into matching sets. For this arguement we are talking about 1 set of tires. I do take a look at my "old" tires and keep the best 1 or 2 as spares and when I have a set that matches (more or less) use them as practice tires.
mkiiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:21 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I rotate them to keep them about even on wear. New tires are all (almost) the same without a specific location on the car and I want them all to be similar throughout their life. If the LF is wearing more or different than the others I want it rotated through to keep the set the most consistent across them.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HenBeav

Don't rotate tires on carpet, once you run in a tire on a corner leave it there. Once you rotate your car will be inconistent for at least a couple runs.

Support your local Lowe's, Walmart and Layne Machine Works INC.
HenBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:54 AM   #20
reg
Tech Adept

I'm sure I remember reading that you should only swop then front to back,this is to get the most grip through the day if the event is only allowed 2 or 3 sets of tires,so 4 new first run,fronts moved to the rear and a new front set,keep doing it all day after every heat,must be a bloody nightmare lol
reg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:55 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Carter View Post
I rotate them to keep them about even on wear. New tires are all (almost) the same without a specific location on the car and I want them all to be similar throughout their life. If the LF is wearing more or different than the others I want it rotated through to keep the set the most consistent across them.
I agree with this completly as this seems to be logical. But it seems that some on here are saying the exact opposite. Since the last time I really ran TC was on a outdoor concrete track with an orion 19t V2 motor, I would like to believe those that have raced alot more recently. It just goes against my thought process. I dont get how the car would become inconsistant if all the tires were the same. For those that are saying to not rotate them, is this coming from personnal experience with bad handling when rotating them, or from a local fast guy saying not too. Also if it is from personnal experience, eere the tire rotated regularly after every run, or did you go several runs btween rotations.

It would make sence to me that a car would be inconsistant if you waited until you had several runs on a car before rotating, but not if you did it after every run.

Again I only ask because it goes against my line of thinking, but then again, ive been out of TC for a while.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:42 AM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HenBeav
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
I agree with this completly as this seems to be logical. But it seems that some on here are saying the exact opposite. Since the last time I really ran TC was on a outdoor concrete track with an orion 19t V2 motor, I would like to believe those that have raced alot more recently. It just goes against my thought process. I dont get how the car would become inconsistant if all the tires were the same. For those that are saying to not rotate them, is this coming from personnal experience with bad handling when rotating them, or from a local fast guy saying not too. Also if it is from personnal experience, eere the tire rotated regularly after every run, or did you go several runs btween rotations.

It would make sence to me that a car would be inconsistant if you waited until you had several runs on a car before rotating, but not if you did it after every run.

Again I only ask because it goes against my line of thinking, but then again, ive been out of TC for a while.
Paul L told me a couple years ago to not rotate them and my car has been a lot more predictable ever since i stopped rotating them. So both and I'm a local fast guy myself.

Support your local Lowe's, Walmart and Layne Machine Works INC.
HenBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:08 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i rotated mine front to back and totally made my car worse. switched them back and it was back to where it was. car still handles like crap (to me) but its fast.
dragonracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:15 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Same here . The car just has a more connected feel when u dont rotate the tires on carpet... I have been told by several NOT to rotate tires if u want to stay competative... it might be their ocdness but I dont think EA is ocd. I will rotate front to rears to get a few extra club races in but at larger events I will never rotate tires ..... its one more verable if car dont feel the same as last round . I dont want to have make a setup change blindly between rounds and also rotate tires to find out during my qualifier that between my change and tires it didnt feel like I expected it to. So which was it ? The change in setup or tire rotation? I dont want that question at vagas or snowbirds ....or anywhere really lol
now on outdoor racing I would mix them up all the time ... and try to match tires to make new sets. Tho we were racing in a parking lot so it wasnt consistant traction anyways
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:59 PM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiiina View Post

Tires are cheap, we aren't talking hundreds or thousands like real tires which it makes sense to rotate. Ever notice how 1:1 race cars don't rotate their tires in the pits but go for a fresh set?
Tires are cheap? They are expensive. At my local track, people put on a fresh set of sorex's for every race.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:38 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

On carpet, I've only been rotating left to right to keep wear more even. I haven't tried rotating front to back every run. For sure though, if you've got tires with a bunch of runs on them, don't just randomly rotate front to back, as it generally will lead to nasty oversteer.

On asphalt, I do try to remember to rotate every run (usually in the cross pattern as mentioned above), in order to get the most life possible out of the tire, because my driving style can be very hard on the outside front, and my home track for asphalt is pretty abrasive.

As for life on carpet, I get a lot of life out of the Sweep QTS32's. I have a set that's had the wear groove for a few race nights and still done pretty well. They're probably 7-8 nights old now (times at least 4 runs per night), about half 17.5 and half mod. I had some handling issues at the last race, though, and I'm not sure if it was something else in the setup, or the tires. They're pretty thin and floppy at this point. I have some from the same batch that are used but not quite so old, and I think I'll try to do a back-to-back comparison between those two sets tomorrow.

I seem to do better with old tires on carpet than some of my locals, and I think it's because I tend to prefer thicker shock oil to lock the car in, which I think counter-acts the squidgy-ness of old tires to some degree. Or maybe I prefer thick shock oil because I'm usually running on squidgy old tires? Who knows.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:39 AM   #27
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry P View Post
Jay: I was obviously at the same race as you. my first TQ run was on 3 week old sweep 32's. The car was ok but felt inconsistent. my last TQ run was over a lap faster on brand new tires. The car felt the same every single lap. I full sauced with SXT all day on all my tires. The first tires I ran had the wear mark on them and i expected them to be slower especially because the sidewalls had become way too soft. I would say if you are killing tires quickly it may be overheating due to setup. Setup is important to onroad when you use a spec tire. I be if you put a sorex28 on your car you would have thought it was the best setup ever. In local offroad you have a choice of 50 tires so setup may have a larger window because you can just pick a softer/stickier tire.
Jerry, thanks I hadn't thought of the spec tire issue. I understand that certain setups can overheat the tires by middle/end of the run. This opens a whole new book of things to learn I suppose. Its confusing because if make a small change to the car its hard to tell if it was the change or maybe the tires not being prepped the same way.

Tamiya 419x/Associated TC7.1/Sanwa M12s/Xpert servos
d16dcoe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:48 AM   #28
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It seems to me that to get the best performance period, you wouldn't rotate tires. If a single tire wears out, then the whole set is done. Each tire gets a specific wear pattern from differing camber , toe, weight dist, and drive (diff or spool). Rotating them would probably change each contact patch drastically. No, its not the "same " but even in amateur (let alone pro) 1:1 road racing you won't see racers rotating their tires!

Tamiya 419x/Associated TC7.1/Sanwa M12s/Xpert servos
d16dcoe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:16 AM   #29
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by d16dcoe45 View Post
It seems to me that to get the best performance period, you wouldn't rotate tires. If a single tire wears out, then the whole set is done. Each tire gets a specific wear pattern from differing camber , toe, weight dist, and drive (diff or spool). Rotating them would probably change each contact patch drastically. No, its not the "same " but even in amateur (let alone pro) 1:1 road racing you won't see racers rotating their tires!
Jay at this point, you're overthinking the situation. Some brand tires seem to handle roating fine, some don't like it as much, depends on the insert it seems.
On carpet you are always chasing the track, so you can easily confuse a tire issue with varying grip from run to run. What most of us focus on is how many runs the tire has, and how much to sauce the front tires, and for how long. Also when grip is up we will clean the tires every run with some motor spray on a rag, if you don't clean them they get more tacky and inconsistent.
On asphalt I always rotate, the sets last at least 2-3 runs longer this way.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:25 AM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenBeav View Post
Paul L told me a couple years ago to not rotate them and my car has been a lot more predictable ever since i stopped rotating them. So both and I'm a local fast guy myself.
yeah you are.

Village Idiot Racing - Now accepting driver applications.
mikel33 is offline   Reply With Quote