Why aren't there more AC/DC chargers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why aren't there more AC/DC chargers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 10:44 AM
Tech Adept

Default Why aren't there more AC/DC chargers?

I'm wondering why there aren't more AC/DC chargers out there like the Reedy Quasar Pro (aside from its software issues). Is it because most people have a power supply so this isn't an issue? Is it because a pure DC charger has benefits over AC? Or are the other explanations?
Old 08-04-2005, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

Building a DC power supply into a charger to allow it to plug into an AC outlet forces the charger to be larger. I imagine it also would generate more heat, requiring increased cooling.

As far as I know, the main reason that high quality chargers choose to be DC only is that a standalone power supply will provide cleaner current to the charger than anything they could incorporate into the unit.

Josh
Old 08-04-2005, 02:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

also, doesnt most ac chargers have a charging amp limiter on them? I could be wrong, but i know my duratrash intellipeak ac/dc charger was limited to 3 amps even tho the dial could go all the way to like 7.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:11 PM
Tech Adept

The dials on my charger go to "11"...

Sorry, I couldn't resist...
Old 08-04-2005, 02:28 PM
Tech Adept

My guess is that DC-input chargers are most common because typically
there is not AC available, basically outdoor dirt fields
and parking lots, where you would use your 12V car battery for power.
But perhaps even more so, the fact the cost of the power supply can actually be more than the charger itself, and manufactuers would rather sell cheaper DC-only chargers, even though the total cost when buying a both a power supply and charger will cost more.

Take a look at our TwoLane ProCharger, it includes a 12amp AC power supply, but unlike other AC/DC chargers, you can actually tap into the 12v output of the power supply to power other things besides the charger, such as equalizing trays. Our TwoLane design really cleans up your pitspace.

Cheers,
Old 08-04-2005, 02:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I guess that part of the reason is because most experienced users already have power suplies, and dont wanna pay extra for something they dont need. And they have power suplies because most top chargers dont incorporate powers suplies!

The market is problably one of the reasons, but its also convenient to have the equipaments separated: power suplies are usually heavy, and theres no point taking extra weight for the track when yure not using it (which is usual, because a lot of tracks dont have electricity).

although im not imparcial: Ive always used DC chargers... to be honest i cant imagine it any other way!
Old 08-05-2005, 02:07 AM
Tech Addict

AC/DC chargers are heavier, larger and more expensive.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I've liked my Intellipeak Digital for the simple fact that it's AC/DC, but the power supply is separate from the unit. Handy when you have a plug around, but if you just have car batteries, you don't have to lug it around, and the unit remains nice and small.

Also, I've spliced the cord to hook up a few battery-cooling fans and such (Gotta use those Tamiya plugs somehow since I switched to Deans). It's only 7A so I can't add too much more of a load (Charger goes to 6A), and I'm sure it's not as consistent as a real power supply, but it's very handy and adequate for this charger. I know someone with the Piranha that has that same Amp-limiting problem when using AC, only 3, until he hooks it to a 12V source.

I haven't tried using the APS with it yet. I'm using huge UPS batteries to fill my charging needs in lieu of a power supply.. one batt will last days of racing. Think it's 50 or 70AH capacity or so...

I've also noticed Novak has shrinkwrapped together their Millenium charger with a Novak Power supply and are selling it as a pretty cheap bundle.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:49 AM
Tech Regular

Thats a nice ideia. U get the best of the 2 worlds.

But if it gives only 7 amp, you can build one ure own (if u have the patience for it!) with a simple pc power suply. Mine is from an old broken PC, only 250W, but it charge well up to 7A (thats the limit of my charger).

The nice thing about PC power suplies is that they are pretty light (less that 1 kg, i think) and because they have integrated fans, they work well for long periods. I have a stabilized power suplie. It gives 10 amp, but after one hour its good for cooking food on it. With the PC one i used for as long as 2 days straight and its cool. Its hard to get 12v though, but never had problems charging with it. but can give u probs if u use 7 cell pack.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Cost of the quality power supply which can cupply high rate and qualified current are really high. That's why they are usually ignored in design.

Just check Duratrax Piranha AC/DC. You can pump 3A from if supplied from AC. But 5A when it comes to DC. This is because the transformation unit inherited can no t supplythat amperage.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:35 AM
Tech Regular

I read somewhere that AC gives powerspikes(right term?!?) to the charger
Old 08-05-2005, 08:30 AM
Tech Addict

Default ac/dc

to have the ac option on a charger which means you can plug it into the wall you are supposed to have it UL listed and that is expensive ..

that was told to me many years ago by ron bailey at competition electronics...
Old 08-05-2005, 09:41 AM
Tech Adept

The Reedy Quasar Pro sells for sub-$100 used (about $150 new, I believe) and can run AC or DC and can discharge at 20 amps and charge at 6.5 amps. And the unit is only 6" long, 6.75" wide and 2.25" high.

I guess it's not a bad deal for someone like me who didn't have a power supply to begin with and races at a track with electricity.

The reason I initially asked is because I am tempted to change chargers, but purchasing the charger and a power supply (thinking of going with Much More for both) would run me close to triple what I can sell the Quasar Pro for. Hmmm...

Thanks for all of your input.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

If there isn't alot because of size that is weird. A dc charger with a power supply added is the same or bigger than one with ac/dc. The size of the competition electronic chargers are big as it is. Add a power supply & you take up alot of room.

Peace Aaron(W-W)