R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-10-2014, 10:59 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Manuf. support for older cars

Seems like there are so many high quality kits are out now and they are upp'd by incremental versions in short order. With the changes coming so fast it looks like you need to replace your kit before you have issue obtaining parts.

I am thinking of holding onto an old buggy but am concerned that parts will be an issue in the future. Do manufacturers "re-run" parts to support older cars, or once they do a major change that's it? Should I be trying to stock up on parts?

I am also curious if anyone is into making frankenstien cars from whatever discont. parts are avail. With so many kits is seems you could find the best or cheapest parts and still put together a good car.
butrflynlambie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:27 PM   #2
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

No Parts issues with the tc4 though......
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:04 AM   #3
Tech Master

The only car I have an issue with is my Team magic E4. I'm still able to get parts for all my other rc's.

Converting nitro to electric is utter blasphemy.
xrayracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:03 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayracer1 View Post
The only car I have an issue with is my Team magic E4. I'm still able to get parts for all my other rc's.
Last I checked Amain and wolf hobbies had parts for the E4.

But to answer the original question: many companies keep the same, or very similar parts on their cars. For instance X-Ray has had the same arms and hubs since it's T2 cars. So parts are easily transferable to all their models. I know associated just makes small changes to their parts, so you can probably get by running newer parts on older cars. But they still support all parts for the TC4-current.
-Ted
mschumi101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:36 PM   #5
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschumi101 View Post
Last I checked Amain and wolf hobbies had parts for the E4.

But to answer the original question: many companies keep the same, or very similar parts on their cars. For instance X-Ray has had the same arms and hubs since it's T2 cars. So parts are easily transferable to all their models. I know associated just makes small changes to their parts, so you can probably get by running newer parts on older cars. But they still support all parts for the TC4-current.
Hmmmm, I might have a look.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:21 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

How much better are the new kits over the older? There are so many 1/10 kits out now. Especially if they are using basically the same parts. For example, are people really seeing that much faster lap times with a t4 over a t2?

The only reason I sold my T2 was that it didn't fit the lipo battery, makes sense for something like that but... I could have trimmed the stabilizer or something and kept a very capable car. Had a team trinity car, mini cooper and tc3 before it and they all sucked in comparison to the t2.
butrflynlambie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:18 PM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by butrflynlambie View Post
How much better are the new kits over the older? There are so many 1/10 kits out now. Especially if they are using basically the same parts. For example, are people really seeing that much faster lap times with a t4 over a t2?

The only reason I sold my T2 was that it didn't fit the lipo battery, makes sense for something like that but... I could have trimmed the stabilizer or something and kept a very capable car. Had a team trinity car, mini cooper and tc3 before it and they all sucked in comparison to the t2.
When I compare my 2010 t3 to my t4 '14, i see the difference in the shock towers, top deck, suspension geometry, etc. Parts that are the same are like the suspension arms, caster blocks, steering knuckles etc. Plus they go over the previous chassis and look for ways to improve.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:45 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayracer1 View Post
When I compare my 2010 t3 to my t4 '14, i see the difference in the shock towers, top deck, suspension geometry, etc. Parts that are the same are like the suspension arms, caster blocks, steering knuckles etc. Plus they go over the previous chassis and look for ways to improve.
The only parts the companies keep the same are the "expendable" parts that would break, such as arms, hubs etc. large parts like bulkheads and the chassis hardly if ever break, so there is no need to keep the same design, or stock parts for them. The chassis' have evolved a ton from the T2 to the T4, and there is definitely a large difference in performance. Yes, they are now designed to fit lipos and brushless, but many other things have changed too. Popular things that help now are the floating servo, large chassis flex, decreased cg, and gear diffs to name a few. You won't find many of these features on a car older than 2 years. They help quite a bit, so A new car is definitely worth it. Just pick up a year old model on the cheap if you don't have the budget for a brand new car.

I recently upgraded from my now 7 year old TA TC5s to a X-ray T4'13, and being a year old is still a great car! Not all that different from the '14 model, but drastically better than the T2 era TC5s.
-Ted
mschumi101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:49 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I was racing a 15 year old car last year. The number of places I could get the parts for it from were limited, but the only things I couldn't get were after-market option parts that happened to be included with the original kit.
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU
Radio Active is offline   Reply With Quote