Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Composite vs. Carbon Fiber Chassis. Pro/Con? >

Composite vs. Carbon Fiber Chassis. Pro/Con?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Composite vs. Carbon Fiber Chassis. Pro/Con?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 04:51 PM
Tech Addict

Default Composite vs. Carbon Fiber Chassis. Pro/Con?

Hello, I wasnt sure if there was a thread on this or not, I tried doing a search but couldnt find anything.
My main question is what are the pro's and cons for having a composite tub chassis vs. a CF chassis?
Thanks in advance
Old 08-03-2005, 04:54 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by vi3tishduy
Hello, I wasnt sure if there was a thread on this or not, I tried doing a search but couldnt find anything.
My main question is what are the pro's and cons for having a composite tub chassis vs. a CF chassis?
Thanks in advance
the tub will tweak do to the motor heated it up over and over...flat cf chassis will not suffer this sort of fate
Old 08-03-2005, 09:30 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:00 AM
Tech Elite

the cf chassis MAY tweak if you hit something, the tub won't.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Turtlemaster
the cf chassis MAY tweak if you hit something, the tub won't.
This is true. but the key is dont hit anything. If you do a fast adjusment it will fix the problem. On the TUB cars if you tweak it. Time for a new chassie.

why do you think that so many high end cars are made with a CF chassie ?? and so many company's like AE YOKOMO HPI TAMIYA have CF cars now.

the Tub is dead long live CF
Old 08-04-2005, 06:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Either one can tweak.......It has more to do with the design of the chassis and/or car kit.........Since your question was having to do with some of the pros and cons........some of the pros for a carbonfiber chassis kit is the extream strength to weight ratio that "highquality" carbon fiber has(all carbonfiber is not equal) not to mention the awesome looks....downside can be having to better insulate rf noise (like bare wires and antenna not being in contact with the chassis because they conduct electricity and can cause glitching).......composite tub chassis are mostly used for the long term cost savings when making thousands and thousands of them(I know the design and the molds cost alot but in the long run it's still cheaper)......they're almost always considerably heavier......they don't flex as consistantly...they can be severly affected by heat(motor and battery areas)..and many of them have molded areas like battery standoffs, partial motormounts ECT....that can break making the whole chassis useless.....Joe
Old 08-04-2005, 07:19 AM
Tech Addict

Thank you for the information guys! I appreciate it! Now I am questioning wether to get the TA05.. Possibly the Yoko BD....
Old 08-04-2005, 07:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The main advatage to manufacturers is that they can pretty much make just about any type of chassis they want and do all kinds of crazy configurations there really aren't any limitations as to what they can do..... CF plate is flat.....

I believe the reason manu's are all going towards CF is because it's currently what the public demands, and for some reason now alot of racers are willing to pay $350+ for a competition kit where in years past the cheaper kits seemed to rule the landscape.....

Besides C/F is just plain sexier when it's mated with swiss aluminum......AHHHH X-RAY.....