R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #16
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to JustWill75

Dude, get a Reedy........... I haven't have a problem with not one of my motors and guess what........... They are legal no matter where you race them........I'm just as fast as everyone else and if I don't win it my fault, I know, weird right?
Old 03-08-2014, 08:55 PM   #17
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to smoke81 Send a message via Yahoo to smoke81

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Did ROAR update their rule book yet? If not, look to the D4 to continue the legacy.
I have a feeling we get a rule update in April.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:00 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke81 View Post
I have a feeling we get a rule update in April.
Hopefully not April 1st!

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:16 AM   #19
Tech Adept

How about the Hobbywing V10 motor? Anyone having success with those?
Old 03-09-2014, 09:30 AM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustWill75 View Post
I'm just as fast as everyone else and if I don't win it my fault, I know, weird right?
Im guessing your competition is not running D3.5s? Or you are simply out-drving them.

The D3.5 is hands down faster than the Reedy in 17.5 guise. That is not a debateable statement... The proof is easily visible on the dyno and at the track.
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Why would it matter if the competition was driving D3.5's? I realize that that motor has been proven to be faster, but only in the hands of those that can get the power to the ground. I really get annoyed at the motor of the week crap. 99% of use are only as good as our driving ability, not our equipment. I just put together a 17.5 TC and put a Tekin in it. Blasphemy right. I dont care, why, because I am still learning, and when I gave it to a couple local club hot shoes to try, they said it had the speed and pull out of the corners that any other car on the track has, including some with, wait for it, D3.5's.

So get over this motor if the week/ month BS, and just get some track time in. When your own personnal lap times hit a plateu, then, it might be time to check out new equipment, but keep in mind also that a motor cant do squat with sub par/old low C batts, crappy soldering jobs, and a cheapo ESC.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:33 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

OP stated hes changing out a year old motor which more than likely means hes going to keep his new one same amount of time. That being said Trinity makes the fastest "stock class" motors period! 3.5,killshot, p2k(for us old school brushed guys) are some of the most popular motors ever because their fast and cheap. Sure reedy or lrp make a decent motor and yes they win races but for build quality,price and longevity i'll stick with my trinitys
gooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:38 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
Why would it matter if the competition was driving D3.5's? I realize that that motor has been proven to be faster, but only in the hands of those that can get the power to the ground. I really get annoyed at the motor of the week crap. 99% of use are only as good as our driving ability, not our equipment. I just put together a 17.5 TC and put a Tekin in it. Blasphemy right. I dont care, why, because I am still learning, and when I gave it to a couple local club hot shoes to try, they said it had the speed and pull out of the corners that any other car on the track has, including some with, wait for it, D3.5's.

So get over this motor if the week/ month BS, and just get some track time in. When your own personnal lap times hit a plateu, then, it might be time to check out new equipment, but keep in mind also that a motor cant do squat with sub par/old low C batts, crappy soldering jobs, and a cheapo ESC.
While all this is true I think you are comparing apples to oranges.

Ultimately, driving talent rises the cream to the top, but the question in this thread is not which motor is good enough to win but rather which motor is proven to be the fastest now that the D3.5 grace displacement period is lapsing.

While the argument might be frustrating to you a forum is to be used to exchange information and experiences from people from all across the world. This helps racers and hobbyists alike to collect data and also to make more educated decisions about equipment. As repetitive as these threads are, they bring out (in large part) the truth about equipment that many times team drivers and company reps make look far better due to their skill rather than the quality and/or performance of the product they are representing.

The reality of it all is that there are motors out there that are faster and/or better than others. This does not mean that they will make you a better driver, but they will make your car faster, and in the spec classes, that's the name of the game.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:20 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I realize that certain motors are proven to have more power, I stated as much in my second sentance. However it is untimately the DRIVER, not the equipment that make the car faster around the track. By that I mean a combination of driving and set-up skill, along the with the knowledge to purchase the equipment that would be best for you.

And I have been doing this for a very long time. I know Trinity has had a track record of some of the best spec motors out there. I can go back as far as the green machine and midnight motors BEFORE removable endbells. Now that would be true spec a locked timing 17.5. Let the crying begin
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:52 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

@the professor. That is by far the most intelligent post i have ever read on this board and I have to agree with every single word of it. I still have a pair of green machines in my old motor case next to a couple of magic joel johnson special edition motors. While i think timing should be outlawed period true spec racing leads to inventive ways to go fast. some legal some not.
gooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:57 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It's stock class not spec class. We have more than one battery, motor, chassis, gear ratio, esc, body, etc., to choose from.

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:54 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Exactly . Between cooling , weight , design , tuneability , and performance theirs not one clear undisputed choice any more . To me as I see it
the orca motors r the lightest motors
Trinity motors r the most tuneable with rotor options .
Novak motors r the easiest to replace parts on
and the reedy sonic is probably the best looking to me .
As far as performance im thinking with the current rule set that their will not be a clear choice as to performance but I figure some companies will have a oddly fast motor more so than some others or atleast not has picked thru by the destributors than others.
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:00 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)

anyone try the new orion/peak motors, looking for a new 21.5t to run usgt, don,t care for trinty, and the r1 is sold out everywhere
zaraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:06 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaraz View Post
anyone try the new orion/peak motors, looking for a new 21.5t to run usgt, don,t care for trinty, and the r1 is sold out everywhere
Team scream racing
thecaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:40 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

It was asked earlier if ROAR had updated the rules and they have. The 20awg reference has been struck from the rule book. So trinity will have to find another way around the rules for the new motor. Maybe that's their hold up on the new motor?