R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-14-2002, 08:06 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to TheBarber
Indoor Asphalt Racing!?!

.....I moved this thread from the racing forum due to the fact hardly anyone views that forum....thanx

Now that I have your attention. I'm taking a informal survey to see how much interest there would be in racing asphalt year round. Many of us midwestern racers have been used to going inside to race carpet once the fall and winter months hit. I have always wondered what kind of interest a indoor asphalt track would have. So I'm asking the members of RCTech.net to help me with some feedback. This does not mean it will happen tomorrow but instead I'm looking for ideas and input from you the racers. I'm listing a couple pros/cons that I have come up with....

Pros:

1. Asphalt - do i need to say more. look back at the pics from the 2000 IFMAR worlds in japan. That was run indoors on asphalt.

2. Rubber tires on carpet. Its 'unnatural', we lose the realistic aspect that non-rcers relate to.

3. Track maintenance - enough said

4. Mother nature who.

Cons :

1. Culture shock. would the carpet loyalists snub the idea

2. Gas racing would be next to impossible without great ventalation.

3. All national events during indoor season are run on carpet.

So answer this for me, "if it was built, would you come?"

thanx for your time.
TheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 08:47 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Evil_S10

I know that I would come. For me, I dont like to race on carpet. So once the fall/winter time comes around, I just start putting money into my cars while they are put up for that time. I love the idea of it, but I would just like to see a place have room for both. So that I can race on asphalt and others on carpet
Evil_S10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 09:02 AM   #3
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

I would come.
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 09:05 AM   #4
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Doug Gaut

We race year round on indoor concrete tracks. There are two in Oklahoma that are very nice. It does slack off a little during the summer because of other interests (kids sports,lake,vacations,etc) but it sure saves on not having to totally change the cars for carpet and concrete/asphalt. Not that there is anything wrong with carpet. Carpet is awesome!! Its just that we have many more concrete/asphalt tracks than carpet to race at. As a matter of fact, one of the tracks we frequent is in the process of building a new onroad concrete track that measures 150 x 60. It is an awesome sight and with the dirtoval and the offroad track that they have indoors we are going to have a premier facility here in the southern midwest!!! I would say, "Go for it!" Just my 2 cents.
Doug Gaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 11:58 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

Barber,
I think it would be great idea to have a track like that in the midwest.
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 12:08 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

doug - thanx for the input, i would love to see some pics of the tracks you run on.

tsr6 - thanx dude

king - thank you too, we'll see how it goes.

evils10 - i love pavement racing too. i love carpet racing and indoor racing in general, but would prefer to run on pavement year round. thanx for your "2 cents "
Old 09-14-2002, 02:01 PM   #7
Tech Regular

I would love to have a quality track in Illinois. As for runing gas indoors,we do it for both offroad and dirt oval at our local track by using two whole house ceiling fans mounted in the windows and have no fume problems whatsoever.

Good luck.
saints1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 02:50 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

Sounds like a geat idea,but I can see only one problem.The building the track would have to be in would have to be well insulated.During the winter months the track would get cold and slick,condensation can form on the racing surface.Personally this is the only real downfall having a track surface like this in the midwest.Is there ways to prevent this,I hope so because it would be a blast to race on. Good luck
BrianJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 05:07 PM   #9
RCTech Member #2

Marc - Sorry I couldnt make it for setup today. I had tickets to the airshow in beloit.

A-10 Warthog is Sweeeet!

Anyways...

About the surface concerns, I would think the only problem in the winter would be that it would be cool, yes. But i do not think there would be a problem with condensation. My dad's shop has both heated, and unheated rooms, the floor is concrete in both sections, and there has never been a condensation problem in either room... even the un-insulated room.

I really think it would be cool to run on..
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
Old 09-14-2002, 06:35 PM   #10
ruf
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to ruf

We have an indoor asphalt track here at Reflex R/C. Maintenance is not as easy as you might think. Sealing and resealing the track can be a pain in the butt. Make sure you give the foundation plenty of time to dry out before you pave it with the asphalt or you'll get seepage which is really nasty. Condensation really isn't a problem unless on really, really humid nights here. It's only happened once thus far. Grip is excellent. I've always found that rubber tires on carpet lacked forward bite and wayyy too much sidebite. Maybe I was just set up wrong. I guess I'm used to asphalt. As for nitro, it can really screw up an asphalt track. A little oil actually softens it up, but too much just makes it an ice rink.

The only drawback about asphalt is the possibility of tire wars when temperature changes. The hobby shop has to constantly stay on top of what's going to be the next "hot tire" but try not to get stuck with extra dead stock until next year. A spec tire would definitely help this situation out.
Old 09-14-2002, 09:05 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

ruf - thanxk you for your input. this is the kind of info we are looking for. have you or anyone else heard of a textured paint that some tracks in the southwest are trying concrete tracks. suppose to similate asphalt. just curious. again, thank you, and i love your website.

troy - no prob dude, we got done in an hour today. i built fuel controls for the a-10. my favorite aircraft. hope to see you tomorrow.
Old 09-14-2002, 10:24 PM   #12
RCTech Member #2

Marc - I may be wrong, but i remember hearing somewhere that a track was using tennis court paint.

-Troy

also, I have a pic of me holding one of the bullets... freaking sweet.
RCTech Member #2

Old 09-15-2002, 02:31 AM   #13
ruf
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to ruf

Thanks for the compliments. We were going to try tennis court surface or some other abrasive paint, but we were really afraid of sand breaking up and collecting on the top. It sure is a lot cheaper than asphalt though. What some tracks are doing with "polished" concrete is pretty interesting. Latex paint requires frequent reapplication, but traction is unbelievable. I think it'd probably be too stuck for anyone's tastes. Another thing is to treat the track with WD40 of all things. Just pour it on, squeegee it around and let it dry out to a thin, gummy coat. Treat the tires with WD40 as traction compound and you will have more traction than you know what to do with. This seems to be a good choice for dusty environments because the gummy surface just absorbs the dust instead of letting it float on top. We are doing a demonstration race at the Import Expo 3 later this month and that is what we will be doing for traction there. We tested it on the floor of out pit area and the results were quite good.
Old 09-15-2002, 06:24 AM   #14
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

My local track is a indoor asphalt and it is really fun to run on. I don't care for carpet anyway so running asphalt all year is a plus. The track has been in for 4 years now and needs no maintenance to speak of. An occasional sweeping. As long as you don't wash it with a hose the asphalt will keep all its original moisture and won't crack or fall appart.

Our track owner is really glad he did it. Less work and the guys really like it. We do run foams in our stock class and rubber tires in our Tamiya class (they run Tamiya TCS rules in the Tamiya classes). Foams last me from 4 to 6 weeks. Ths week was my 5 week on my foams and they are down to 56mm. I could stretch one more week out of them if I really wanted to. I will just buy a new set and cut them to 62mm to start. I run 3 practice runs and 3 heats and a main. I rotate my tires from left to right every run. When done racing for the day the tires are still wearing nice and flat. After racing I go home and true my tires for a little maint. They normally only loose 1mm a week. So the 2nd week they will be 61mm, the next week, 60mm and so on.

They have a website that shows the track. www.rcohobbies.com will get you their to look at the track.

Later
Brian

wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 08:22 AM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Just like wyd said be sure to adjust you camber so the tires wear flat, and rotate them too.

What do you guys plan on using for lane dividers? At RCO we use square steel tube (maybe 2.5" - 3" square?). Obviously don't use fire hose or wood (it may warp because the pavement might hold moisture, I am not sure) for a permanent indoor track.
PIIHB! is offline   Reply With Quote