R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-18-2002, 02:58 PM   #46
Regional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Mike F

TheBarber - keep us posted on how it goes, I'm very interested in the outcome.

A question on the surface choice. What about that stuff the put on truck beds? I think it's call RHINO. Would that work?
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 05:48 PM   #47
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

The Barber I would contact Tamiya about getting a TCS. They have great support for this series. You would be especially sweet if it was at an indoor asphalt track.

My local shop was racing at a Super KMart parking lot. They were really great to deal with. After the first year they put outlets on their light post so we would not need generators and one year we had a big race and they brought out two new generators for us to use. KMart always took care of us. After racing was over we would clean up all trash and dispose of it. KMart would also make sure that no cars would park in our area and if so they would have the car towed away as well. We ran for 6 years and never ever had a problem. They were always happy to see us. THe racers bought a ton of stuff at Kmart from food to Easyup Tents. Their still are a few great business that are more than will to support us. The Walmart across the street was jealous and always wanted us to race in their lot across the street. The even would repave a area just for us but the shop owners were loyal to Kmart.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 12:04 PM   #48
Regional Moderator

Hey wyd - that's sounds like a great Idea. Who at KMart did you talk to that you let you guys race at their lot? KMart is gone but there's always WalMart and Walgreens
Old 09-20-2002, 09:03 AM   #49
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

Actually Barber you might want to contact tamiya I think they are looking for another venue in the midwest due to the problems they had at Detroit last year the only race in the midwest is at scottys. Even if you don't get the indoor track your outdoor program that you allready run would be more than fine for a tcs race. If you talk to scotty I am sure he would even bring parts and support your effort like he does at the nitro farm. If it interest you and you need help with it get in touch with me....
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 09:41 AM   #50
Regional Moderator

Default TCS RACE

Call the first week of October. Talk to Fred, I forgot his last name but that's the point of contact for next seasons schedule planner. I talked to him earlier this year to try to get a race here in Memphis. It was too late but he did tell me to call him in October. I'll be calling him to set something up for Memphis for next year, it will be held at the local Hobby shop, that much I do know.
Old 09-20-2002, 02:02 PM   #51
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to TheBarber

thanx, i think i might look into that. i just got back from the parking lot, because i'm getting new asphalt laid down in the southeast corner of the building so we will have more parking, more pit space, and a permanent driver's stand. if i have anymore questions i'll be sure to ask you guys or scotty. and we are making good progress in the planning a indoor facility in this area so keep your fingers crossed for us, and i'll keep you guys posted.
TheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 09:26 PM   #52
wyd
Tech Legend

Mike F they met with the managers and then they had a little demo for them to see and after that they were hooked. You might not be able to run nitro because of the liability and how fast they can go. If you have a runaway they could hurt a spectator.

We were lucky as they ran nitro and nevr had a problem. We had 2x4 rails to outline two sides of the track and the natural curbing that Kmart had took care of the other two sides. Then they got some old fire hose from the fire dept. and would make a layout. They also had plow disks to mark the corners .

Never ever had a problem with Kmart or anyone else for that matter. The security cameras at the Kmart parking lot were so good that the security gaurds would watch some of the racing. We were lucky to have a business treat us so well. They said that their business increased from us being their. They sold alot of refreshments, foods and remote control cars. When the junk toy remote cars would go bad the people would go the hobby shop a few blocks away and buy from them and get a good r/c car.

All in all is the way it should be. Two business's helping each other out. You can call RCO hobbies at 717-633-9490 and ask for Alison and she can tell you exactly how they starting racing at Kmart. Tell them Brian sent you.

Walmart might be interested if they have enough parking room to let you setup a track. All the Walmarts by us are so damn busy that parking is at a premium.
Old 09-20-2002, 10:06 PM   #53
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike F
Hey wyd - that's sounds like a great Idea. Who at KMart did you talk to that you let you guys race at their lot? KMart is gone but there's always WalMart and Walgreens
Mike, there's a Super Kmart on Germantown Parkway and one on Austin Peay Highway. I never thought about going BIG like that... and I bet they wouldn't have a liability issue either.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 06:33 AM   #54
wyd
Tech Legend

I know during racing Allison always made sure to promote Kmart and letting the spectators know what Kmart did for the parking lot series. She would always be anouncing to visit the Kmart for your needs while racing. I'm still surprised to this day how much Kmart was into it. Kmart had alot of free publicity from it (and it was the good kind). I know the local newspaper did a story on it as well.

People driving by that normally wouldn't go to Kmart would see the action in the parking lot when driving down the main strip and stop in just to watch. The next thing they went into Kmart to get some odds and ends.

I think the biggest thing is if Kmart or any other place says ok you can do your racing here is to keep it clean, no drinking (brews), no foul language, and always thank them everytime you get a chance. If this happens it will be a great partnership for you.
Old 09-21-2002, 09:55 AM   #55
Regional Moderator

Thanks wyd. I'll give Alisona call to get some information and see if we can use her as a reference for what we need to do here in Memphis.

BDR - I thought they all pulled out, Super K Marts that is but if not then I'll look into it.

Wyd hit it right on the head, free publicity for them, more revenue for them and a place to race for us. You would think that the Futon store would adopt this business mentality.
Old 09-22-2002, 08:23 AM   #56
wyd
Tech Legend

Mike F you need to remember that the Futon store is a high end type of clientele, and sometimes they are a little snippy. Those type people and places I would avoid. Departments stores like Kmart, Walmart, Koles, and so on might be better and the racer will beable to use more of their services like the people you draw in to watch. The Futon store is very limited on what you can get their.

The Futon owner is probably one those none fun people and that runs into his busness personality. People like that are best left to themselves. THe place will close eventually like the ones here around us. Can't live off selling just Futons.

Our Kmart loved the free press and extra sales. Not that they need it at this Kmart as it does very well. It was still appreciated.
Old 09-22-2002, 09:00 AM   #57
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

When I go racing I always get the urge to shop for a couch that converts into a bed and isn't very comfortable as either....LOL

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote