R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-16-2002, 01:25 PM   #31
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

Yeah, we find much the same thing - SoCal has an offroad track in the same bldg. We vacuum (well, Erik usually does it. . .) each week and by the evening the sedans have laid down enough rubber that it gets to be good racing. It really affects us pan car guys - we generally don't even put the cars on the track until around 1:00-2:00 since not enough rubber has been laid down yet.

Old 09-16-2002, 02:31 PM   #32
ruf
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ruf

Must be nice to have that kind of volume!
Old 09-16-2002, 05:33 PM   #33
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Marc.....I think that the track would be a cool idea but the only downside is the moisture that you will get in the winter. I have been to Scotty's in the winter when he has had alot of guys packed into the building and the walls and the floors get wet. I left my pit bag on the floor one race over night at all my boxes were soggy in the morning. If the building is heated well and you can get the moisture out of the air it will be ok. Just think about when there is 50 to 60 guys packed into the building and its sup zero outside its going to make the concreate, walls and windows sweat. Also if the floor is cold in the winter its going be hard to keep it warm. Just some food for thought
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 06:18 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

This is just an idea but what if you heated the building with in the floor hydronic heat. Not only is hydronic heat pretty efficient but in the floor could make for some great winter racing.
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 06:37 PM   #35
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

KINGZJ It does cost alot to have fun sometime. I actually spend more money racing a TCS race than if I run my Yoke at race. Foams help this problem out since they last for me.

I had the old but still cool TA03R in the A of GT2. I finished 6th which was not bad. I should have spent some extra cash and bought a new stock motor for my 03 and at least one good pack for it. It was my fault that I didn't go faster as I just did not put in good equipment. I think for the next TCS I will be putting in some good stuff and then see how it goes. I just like 03 cars and when I had my 04 I just didn't care for it as much.

Are you coming to the next TCS race at RCO in March? Hope you can make it out. Didin't you have that 03 for sale last time you where here?

Later
Brian
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 08:22 PM   #36
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Quote:
Originally posted by KINGZJ
This is just an idea but what if you heated the building with in the floor hydronic heat. Not only is hydronic heat pretty efficient but in the floor could make for some great winter racing.
Thats the stuff with the heated water pipes in the floor, correct?

That could be a cool system to use, and change the floor temp ( possible?? ) a couple degrees every race. Or even slowly up the track temp as the day goes on to simulate true outdoor racing.

Ok, Im dreaming,
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 10:15 PM   #37
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to TheBarber

i have given that some thought. i have a friend that installs the radiant heating for area companys. it could be a possibility.

to the guys that already racing on asphalt......what kind of turn outs are you getting? weekly/monthly? and what are your race fees? (if you don't mind me asking).

thanx again for all of your support/help, and we'll see where this leads us. our area really needs indoor racing to help this hobby to grow and increase the competition at area and regional events. all good for everyone.
TheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 05:17 PM   #38
wyd
Tech Legend

During the summer is slows some like most indoor places do and we get 20 to 30 a week. In the late fall and winter months we normally get from 50 to 60 a week. Racing is 12 bucks for the 1st class and 8 for the 2nd class.

At this years TCS race that a total of 160 entries. Some ran more than one class but still 160 is alot. 120 entries without drivers running 2 classes. The track is not a giant place.

All in all they do pretty well and we have a great time.

I think radiant heat is cool but if it goes bad that is where the problem is you would have to cut the asphalt to work on it and repair. RCO has no problems with cracking from the cold or heat. The window only sweat a little and nothing gets wet or damp at the track. I have left my stuff their many of times and not a problem. I guess it depends on where you are located and the type of building you are in.
Old 09-17-2002, 07:32 PM   #39
Tech Fanatic

since you are in PA, you have pretty much the same climate as we do in the chicago area. so my question is what kind of track temps do you get in the winter and summer months?

this goes for anyone else that runs on asphalt year round too.
Old 09-17-2002, 08:34 PM   #40
wyd
Tech Legend

In the summer I would imagine the track is about the same temperature as asphalt in the shade. It is pretty hot inside in the summer even with the two big gargae doors open. I would think it is like 85 plus on the track. In the winter it is alot cooler and more like 65 to 70. Could be colder during the week when the heat is off in the track area.

I guess next time I get to the track I will check the temp with a temp gun and see what it really is.
Old 09-17-2002, 09:16 PM   #41

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to StephenSobottka

Hey Barber that would be aweosme to set up and indoor asphalt track. I would race there and support it. I ran asphalt once when i came with scotty to rockford. I didnt do too well. i like the bite of carpet better(havent done asphalt but that one time)
More practice for me!
LOL
Stephen
P.S. you run a great race program
Old 09-17-2002, 09:56 PM   #42
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

wyd, I am planning on coming out to rco again in march. My friend just moved to west virgina about an hour away from rco and we are planning on going.

Barber, when I was at rco it was pretty cold outside and the track was fine. I actually prefered the track in the morning when it was a little cold. We were able to run F1's without any traction issuse and those things are prone to traction problems.

Later
Jesse
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 09:23 AM   #43
Regional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Mike F

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBarber
......what kind of turn outs are you getting? weekly/monthly? and what are your race fees? (if you don't mind me asking).
first let me say that I think an indoor asphalt track is an excellent choice. I'm in Memphis, TN and we talked about this as well. There's really no place to run in Memphis during the "off season". Our local hobby shops do not have a track for us to use. I'm the current director of the MidSouth Racing Association and we have our own equipment, A&B, trailer and track material. We set up outside one of the Hobby shops every other weekend and race, well we use to. The owner of the complex told the hobby shop owner that we can no longer race there. Complaints from the local Futon store owner prompted all of this. We've been racing at this facility for over 2 years and all of a sudden it's an issue. We have another venue to race at but the ease of accessibility to the hobby shop wont be there. I'm sure the hobby shop owner will take a hit on profits, although he states we generate very few revenue for him, yeah OK.

My point on this indoor asphalt track is that you have to have some sort of other revenue generating source in order for it to succeed, like a hobby shop. If you have a track alone then you'll just be breaking even, not so in slower months as wyd mentioned. Have stocked parts ready so that when someone breaks they can come to you. Buy 4 kits of the most popular kits used, mission, tc3, fttc3, xxx-s or what demands the local market. Sell off 2 of the kits and use the other 2 for parts. Just like a real car, you make more money on parts than on selling a whole vehicle, that's why chop shops are so lucrative, illegal but lucrative. Stock your self with the basics, just think what you need in order to race and buy2-3 of them.

It's a great concept and I wish you luck with it.

Last edited by Mike F; 09-18-2002 at 09:25 AM.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 01:48 PM   #44
wyd
Tech Legend

KINGZJ that is great. It is a fun race. I'm sure I will track you down again.

Brian
Old 09-18-2002, 02:15 PM   #45
Tech Fanatic

trinitynut - thanx for the compliment, and next years outdoor track will be on new asphalt and there will be a lot more parking. see you at scotty's

Mike - sorry to hear about your situation. i relate rc racing clubs to skateboarders. not many people understand what it is and don't care if you don't have anywhere to do it. thank you for the advice and if this track does happen it will have a full pro shop to support both the racers and hobbyist alike. this hobby is only second to my family and i feel very pationate about giving our area a place to race year round and help the hobby grow. good luck to you too.

wyd and king - maybe TCS could use one more venue to run at.