Wiki Posts
Search

Indoor Asphalt Racing!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2002, 10:14 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Bolink Boy your car was working well yesturday. The work and time you put in on Saturday showed. Car was looking pretty good all around.
Old 09-15-2002, 03:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Thanks for your help wyd. This weekend should be intresting. I should have my Graphite chassis and carbon fiber shock towers. That molded rear shock tower is a bit flimsy for the congo springs.
Old 09-15-2002, 04:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have been to RCO for their last tcs race. Plenty of traction but the track is very small so the speeds are not what I was used to .
I don't know what kind of rubber tires you guys use out their but I went through 8 pairs of Tamiya tires it tore them to shreads.

Barber as for asphalt with a applied topcoat I see a couple of major problems. We have a very similar setup at my place of employment it is a epoxy paint with a sand in it. I take my cars to work all the time and clean them with motor spary or brake clean when it gets on the floor it kills the paint. It lifts it up really quick. Also when it is time to clean the shop floor it is really hard because the sand acts like a broom brake and holds more dirt than anything else. I think asphalt or carpet is the way to go hands down

Later
Jesse
Old 09-15-2002, 04:21 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Heck, you could probably just take a hose to it.

Thats what we do in my dad's shop... concrete, it's dry within a couple hours.

Hose it off after the weekend's racing, would easily be ready by mon night.

Motor spray would definately be bad on the paint, not most "RC specific" motor spray, but generic "electric motor / brake parts " cleaner is NASTY stuff...

We had experiance with this up at trackside a couple weeks back. We melted a block of styrafoam in a garbage can with the generic crap.. ..hehe

Generic crap should be banned anyways... Stinks up the place real bad too..

-Troy
Old 09-15-2002, 04:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

we have a local indoor track here in Melbourne, which is based on concrete, then painted with tar asphalt paint, very similar to asphalt traction..very consistent, and not too expensive to apply. has a kind of abrasive finish to it.

Another track over here is painted with this finish (outdoors), and has lasted years!.

2 coats are required for the best result, and fill in the joins in the concrete to get a totally smooth surface.
Old 09-15-2002, 05:00 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Kingzj did you run mod at the RCO TCS race? I run my TB01 for up to 6 weeks in the GT2 class and my tires have no tears but they do start to fall off alot after 6 weeks. Even my TA03 didn't wear tires very hard though the TB01 is better at this time.

BolinkBoy never a problem to help you out. Just let me know and I will try my best to help. I think you will like the graphite stuff as it will lighten up your car and make it a tad faster and maybe more consistant since you will loose that flew in the towers. I don't know when I will make it to RCO again as I have a bunch of stuff to do the next few weeks. If I can make it I will try.
Old 09-15-2002, 06:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

this is exactly why i posted this forum. i really appreciate all of your input. i will be using this information though out the process of developing a track for our locals. PLEASE keep it coming, and pics are encouraged. thanx again.

my wife and i know some friends who own a landscape curbing business that we may ask to make " islands". We currently use PVC. easy setup for our parking lot program, but not what i want in a permanent track. I do like the square piping/PVC that i saw at a home show one year. but are leaning towards island.
Old 09-15-2002, 07:12 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

If you could use a setup like they have in F1 with the cool curbing you can run up on in the corners or something like that.

I wouldn't use anything type of sealer with that sand type stuff in it as it wears off in time. I think you need some type of rubber sealer as then it would give traction and not really wear off like the sandy type stuff does. Indoor asphalt is so much more fun than carpet is.
Old 09-15-2002, 07:40 PM
RCTech Member #2

Originally posted by TheBarber
my wife and i know some friends who own a landscape curbing business that we may ask to make " islands". We currently use PVC. easy setup for our parking lot program, but not what i want in a permanent track. I do like the square piping/PVC that i saw at a home show one year. but are leaning towards island.
Marc - Personally, I love Scotty's island system. The only bad side i see to them, is that the foam on the edges has gotten a bit ratty after a year of use.

I was there for the setup one week for the layout changes, and it took longer for everyone to decide how they wanted it, than it did to accually move the islands & boards.

-Troy
Old 09-15-2002, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

wtd,
I ran gt2 and f1 at the last tcs race at rco. My f1 was very easy on tires I ran the same set all weekend. I actually won gt2 but because of transponder isues (#2 was not working and I was being hand scored) they said the local kid won it and I was second when I really laped him even the tamiya guys saw what happened but they said that it was up to the race director. No big deal I still had allot of fun anyways. It could have been setup I was going for allot of steering because of the small track and the car was turning in very hard and in order to do that I had to have very good tires, if they had any graining on them they went in the trash and that was usually after 2 runs or so. Just the price you have to pay to have a little fun.

Tsr6 you are most likely right about taking a hose to it but that makes for a big mess and you would have to either have a good drain and the floor angle right or use a squege on it and to use a squege with the sand in the paint would be very dificult. I also agree with you on Scotties islands. They were a little tough to get used to because if you clip one you end on your back but at least you don't break any parts. You don't see to many people other than sportsman drivers breaking anything anymore since he went to the islands. They look cool also.
Old 09-15-2002, 08:49 PM
RCTech Member #2

Hmm, wierd. I still broke stuff, What does that say about me? hmm...

heh..

No, I've broken maybe two parts at Scotty's, both by the transponder table.. both were hits that deserved to break stuff.

ZJ - One, Do you have a ZJ? I have a '93. Two, Do you race at Scotty's on tues? If so, who are you? haha..

ok, bed time.. Also.. good points on the water stuff, how about a track... V shaped... off camber corners! yeah! .. ok... maybe not

-Troy
Old 09-15-2002, 09:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

yeah, yeah, yeah i say! my friend and i were just proposing an indoor asphalt track and how great it would be. i think i agree with the sand based products becoming a problem. real asphalt or tar based products would be my choice. the islands with tapered rumble strips would sure be a pleasure to look at. they do wreak some havoc though. especially at high speeds where they can act like a jump for someone who isn't where they're supposed to be.
i prefer to be on asphalt for realism purposes and i really dig running rubber tires, which is not a great idea on carpet. it is nice though to run an entire season on carpet and have a scratch free chassis. that's the only con i can think of for the asphalt, but i'd take it no problem. i'm behind you 100%. we want to see photos too. if and when. best of luck to ya.
Old 09-15-2002, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by ruf
Another thing is to treat the track with WD40 of all things. Just pour it on, squeegee it around and let it dry out to a thin, gummy coat. Treat the tires with WD40 as traction compound and you will have more traction than you know what to do with. This seems to be a good choice for dusty environments because the gummy surface just absorbs the dust instead of letting it float on top.
If you use asphalt, just realize that WD40 is mostly solvents and will EAT the asphalt after prolonged and repeated exposure. Asphalt is basically an oil (tar) and an agregate (rocks) that is applied hot, rolled smooth and let cool - you can imagine what a solvent will do to that! (Yes, our tire sauce is solvent based too, but we don't APPLY it to the track. . . )

I run at SoCal Raceway in Southern California (thus the SoCal. . . ) and it is an indoor asphalt onroad track. It is unsealed asphalt. The track layout changes week to week (which we both love and hate) and really can test skills!

They don't "wash" the track very often, maybe once/twice a year. We lay down so much rubber, over time, that we have maaaad traction. It is considered one of the premier tracks in the US.

Anyway, just some thoughts for you. Good luck to you!
Old 09-16-2002, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Tsr6, I raced at scotty's last year allot but since about march I have been doing allot of 1/8 offroad. I am just now starting to get my onroad stuff ready for yet another season. Yes I started off with a ZJ I had a lift kit and all kinds of goodies on it but now I am in a TJ but never changed my username. If you are at Scotty's and see a green Sahara I am their.

Later
Jesse
Old 09-16-2002, 11:37 AM
ruf
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I was referring to applying WD40 on concrete as an alternative to paving it with asphalt. Not apply WD40 on asphalt.

The rubber groove on asphalt is awesome when it sets up. We have an offroad track too so the track gets kinda dirty. We blow it off when we change the layout (2-3 mo) but it blows away the groove. Takes a couple of weeks for it to come back.

Originally posted by Boomer

If you use asphalt, just realize that WD40 is mostly solvents and will EAT the asphalt after prolonged and repeated exposure. Asphalt is basically an oil (tar) and an agregate (rocks) that is applied hot, rolled smooth and let cool - you can imagine what a solvent will do to that! (Yes, our tire sauce is solvent based too, but we don't APPLY it to the track. . . )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.