R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   boosted 9.5 vs 4.5? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/798092-boosted-9-5-vs-4-5-a.html)

NickGroves 03-06-2014 05:23 AM

boosted 9.5 vs 4.5?

I tried to do a search to see what the difference in adding boost in the esc vs running a lower turn motor but all I found was esc boost vs motor timing.

If the speed was the same what will be the major differences? Im just trying to figure out if I will be better off buying a whole new esc and motor combo or if I can get away with boosting a 9.5 and get the feel im looking for? I understand it may not be as smooth but Im wondering if I can make it a little better with the radio and esc settings?

hyujmn 03-06-2014 07:57 AM

Based on my personal experience...

Even the difference between a boosted 5.5 and a Blinky 4.5 is a HUGE gap. The 4.5 was just on a completely different level from the boosted/turbo 5.5. The 4.5 was far too much motor for me. It had more torque and more rpms than the 5.5, even though I tried it blinky.

This is on road 10th scale mod on a medium sized carpet track.

Now on our carpet track, you might be able to get away with a boosted/turbo'd 8.5/10.5, but most guys are running 5.0s.

jlfx car audio 03-06-2014 08:25 AM

I have med boost setting on a 5.5 in my tc and its very smooth and driveable . It just has the explosive 3.5 feel only when u go wto and turbo kicks in so me my self being on indoor carpet like this better than full 3.5 hp

NickGroves 03-06-2014 11:11 AM

Ok so it sounds like I will be a little to far off then. I guess I will be ordering a new motor and esc before Reedy then.

Thanks guys.

Skiddins 03-06-2014 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by NickGroves (Post 13072126)
Ok so it sounds like I will be a little to far off then. I guess I will be ordering a new motor and esc before Reedy then.

Thanks guys.

The Reedy is the medium sized asphalt track right?

Get a 4.5 and you can always run it blinky if you want, but on a track that size you'll want boost.

Skiddins

oeoeo327 03-06-2014 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Skiddins (Post 13072250)
The Reedy is the medium sized asphalt track right?

Get a 4.5 and you can always run it blinky if you want, but on a track that size you'll want boost.

Skiddins

+1... the difference between a 9.5 and a 4.5 can't be bridged with boost alone. The motors have too different of a response curve to be interchanged with one another. I prefer to run little if any boost so the throttle feels more consistent, but large outdoor tracks usually require it.

grippgoat 03-06-2014 01:17 PM

The difference between a boosted 10.5 and blinky 5.5 is huge, and mostly comes down to bottom end torque and braking power. If you've never run mod, though, a boosted 10.5 isn't a bad way to get your feet wet. It can help you get used to higher speeds. But you won't start really learning throttle and brake control until you step up to a 5.5 or lower.

FWIW, I'm running an LRP flow worksteam with LRP x20 5.5. Blinky is good on small tracks, and the boost turbo are there for larger (but still not huge) tracks, or when I've got my setup dialed in and I want that last tenth or two from the straight.

-Mike

NickGroves 03-06-2014 03:52 PM

I've done some 2wd mod buggy racing (I understand its quite a bit different then mod tc) but I have "some" throttle control. Haha. I know there will be a bit of a learning curve.. I was going to race the 13.5 class but looking at a few of the names signed up all I can think of is sand baggers.... so I decided to run open... haha

Skiddins 03-06-2014 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by NickGroves (Post 13072946)
I've done some 2wd mod buggy racing (I understand its quite a bit different then mod tc) but I have "some" throttle control. Haha. I know there will be a bit of a learning curve.. I was going to race the 13.5 class but looking at a few of the names signed up all I can think of is sand baggers.... so I decided to run open... haha

Good for you :nod:

Get a 4.5 and have some fun.

If you're too underpowered you'll just get frustrated, but if you use a motor that 'can', when you need the grunt, you'll get quicker and quicker and the smile will get bigger and bigger ;)

I asked some of the Mod guys before I stepped up (Ollie Jefferies and Elliott Harper amongst others) and they all said 4.5

Craig W 03-09-2014 05:53 AM

5.0 is safest way for tc mod by fare