Wiki Posts
Search

Novak 4.5t 550 motor in Sprint 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 01:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Novak 4.5t 550 motor in Sprint 2

I'm thinking of sticking a Novak 4.5t 550 size motor into a Sprint 2. Havoc PRO SC ESC. Any thoughts or predictions on how this may turn out? The 550 motor is almost 2cm longer, so it may throw the balance off, but I may be able to shift the battery over a bit to compensate. It'll be an interesting little project I think.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:06 PM
Tech Master

You can always buy some lead weights to help with the balance. They usually available from your local/online hobby store.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Prepare to buy alot of cups and dogbones. On my old flux they pretty much died after 10 runs that was with a 10T
Old 03-02-2014, 04:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Lyrix
Prepare to buy alot of cups and dogbones. On my old flux they pretty much died after 10 runs that was with a 10T
I agree with this. If you're gonna throw that much power at the stock Sprint 2 drivetrain components, you better stock up. Or upgrade to heavy duty parts. Tough Racing reinforced belts may also help you.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Im not sure that it will fit. for that much motor, you really need a car that is made to handle power like that.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I agree, that motor has WAY to much power for that drivetrain. That is too much power for any 1/10 TC, espcially a sport level kit. But if you do manage to get it to fit, that first run before it self descructs will be one hell of a drive. Make sure you get a video of it and post it up on here. I would also recommend belted tires of some sort to attempt to get that much motor to the ground.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:36 PM
Tech Regular

I would personally like to see an AWD burnout immediately followed by all 4 tires being destroyed and flung 30+ yards...if you have some used non-belted tires laying around.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by theproffesor
I agree, that motor has WAY to much power for that drivetrain. That is too much power for any 1/10 TC, espcially a sport level kit. But if you do manage to get it to fit, that first run before it self descructs will be one hell of a drive. Make sure you get a video of it and post it up on here. I would also recommend belted tires of some sort to attempt to get that much motor to the ground.
Well, I got the combo for cheap, so I just couldn't pass it up. I do plan on starting off easy and go from there. I'm certain it's just ridiculous power. I don't intend on mashing the throttle to the mat and praying... I'm just amused with the concept. As far as I can tell, everything will fit without issue, but that's never certain until you line it up. Good tip on belted tires. I'll look into it. It is a sensored motor, so it'll hopefully be smooth. A little easier on the diff cups. I'm looking through the esc documentation tonight.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SeeGee911
I'm thinking of sticking a Novak 4.5t 550 size motor into a Sprint 2. Havoc PRO SC ESC. Any thoughts or predictions on how this may turn out? The 550 motor is almost 2cm longer, so it may throw the balance off, but I may be able to shift the battery over a bit to compensate. It'll be an interesting little project I think.
That, and the belts, pulley, probably the tires. You are going to be strapping a grenade into that thing basically.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

I currently have the 5900kv Flux brushless setup in it, and clocked it at 61.4km/h using the stock 23/90t gearing. The ballistic has a 5mm shaft, so I had to outsource the right 48p pinions, but other than that, everything should fit. I'll pick up some hpi x-pattern belted tires, and might get aluminum hex nuts. All these comments regarding impending doom is actually making me more impatient. I'm waiting for everything to arrive. I'm not really worried about heat, because I'm assuming that the sprint chassis is notably lighter than the 1/8 scale SCT 's this motor is designed for. I am concerned about the belts being able to take the torque, but again, I plan on starting off nice and easy. I hope to take it to 100 km/h if I can. To hit that would be a success in my eyes. The Novak motor is 5000kv, so less RPM, but the torque and gearing will hopefully make up for it. I do have a 2S lipo rated at 45C which should pair nicely with the combo. I just need to borrow the runway at the local airport lol. Proof of concept projects are the best.