R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-12-2002, 09:38 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to wheelmanST
Default PLEASE help me pick ONE!

Ok i need your guys help in picking my next car. I am going to be racing stock class, and first of all should i get something new or just work with my completely stock ta04 pro??? Heres the choices:
Hpi Pro 3
Kyosho Kx-one
RCLab seven even 6.0
Team Atlas ym-34
Yokomo mr4-tc
X-Ray T1
AE tc3
Losi xxx-s

Well just post your thoughts on which one you would go for and why. Thanks for your help guys, its just i cant pick ONE, i have to have em all!! But then again, i could just use that money to hop up my ta04 pro, and get better electronics, batts and charger, but i cant decide. O crap just decide for me! I cant take it any more!
wheelmanST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 01:18 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I believe that some cars are better in different types or racing, either stock, mod, rubber on asphalt, rubber on carpet, foams on asphalt and foams on carpet. You need to let us know which one it is or which ones so that at least I can give you and opinion on which one I think you should get and help you make up your mind.
Sigearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 01:29 AM   #3
ruf
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ruf

Buy some batteries, charger, tires, springs and 2 degree toe-in blocks and practicepracticepractice.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:31 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

look matie. all of those cars you have listed are
good so in the end pick one which you like better
than the others. if money is no issue then go for the
Tamiya Tb evoultion 2 or stick with ur Ta04 pro because
they are both as good as all those cars you've listed!
Evo2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 03:29 AM   #5
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Don't buy any...save your money and get some handwound modified motors....you don't need to race stock then!!!!!!
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 03:36 AM   #6
Tech Master

Keep the car you've got and upgrade and spend your money on motors, cells, etc.

How come the Corally C4.1 and Schumacher Mission don't feature in your list?

They are both at least as good as some of the cars you mentioned.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 05:04 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I agree, just keep the car you have and grow with it. Some other items you may want to think about are the Threaded shock set, and spring tuning set too. And since your pro is all stock, you can work on making it lighter as well by adding the carbon reinforced chassis and other pieces Tamiya offers. Also if your running the Tamiya metric gears, you can pick up a 92, and 96 spur, and 26-31 tooth pinions in 48 pitch, that will alow you to run any motor gearing you want stock, or mod.
Feel confident in your 04 pro, its a very, very good car. I have the 04-R now, and love it. You can always find hop-ups for it on most major auction sites for a good price.

Last edited by hobbipro; 09-13-2002 at 05:12 AM.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 06:10 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Ok i think i might pick up a pro 3 for a good deal, but i will keep my 04 and hop it up anyway. Thanks for the help everyone but i now have another question. Can you help me find the hop ups?! I am looking for the saddle pack chassy, and mainly universals cus the dogbones chatter so much i cant get around the corners lol! Anything else i should get for a small medium traction(we use soda on the parking lot to make it sticky) track with foams? also what do you think about using 2000's to race a 5 min race compaired to 2400's? thanks for all the help guys!
Old 09-13-2002, 06:17 AM   #9
Tech Master

Spend your money on some 3000 cells.

You'll need to spend twice what you are paying for the Pro 3 before you can make it work. So if you have a good car already, spend to improve that.

It will work out a lot cheaper for you in the long run.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 06:22 AM   #10
Tech Regular

so no 2000 cells??? i read somewhere that these are actually prefered for stock racing, maybe i got it confused since everyone runs 3000's lol! i have a nice 2400 pack tho
Old 09-13-2002, 06:54 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

for stock class racing the pro 3 and the tamiya are not a very good choice. Don't get me wrong I do like tamiya I race in many tcs races around the country and own a ta04r and a 414m. I 414m is much better than the 04 but still has a very hard time competing with the tc3 or the xxxs or the mission. Those are the top 3 for stock class racing hands down. The tcs is just plain fast if put together properly
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 11:27 AM   #12
Tech Rookie

If you can hold out for a little while,Losi is going to be releasing a full graphite xxx-s kit.This will also come with threaded shocks,titanium tie-rods,new losi body,etc. good luck!
BrianJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 09:44 PM   #13
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

i'm gonna catch flack for this, but the pro 3 is a horrible car. i had one that came and went without my even running it. tons of plastic and tiny dogbones...i don't really like it at all. too flexible, ... i don't even want to go on. this is just an opinion though.

i've had a kxone too, no parts suppart, and no full time 4wd w/o spending $70 more. not a big fan of it, but i ran it in cool weather with double diff setup.

i have an rclab and i've been trying to get parts for about two months. i will run it on carpet this winter, but it's taken this long to find a supplier that's instock, and i'll have to pre-spend tons of money so that i have a reserve of parts. neat car, not so neat parts access.

the atlas type r or type si are awesome cars, but integy only for parts, and they're ridiculously expensive. i really love the design of both versions though, with insane long arms and low cg.

the xray is a corally copy, so out of principle, i'd say buy the original...a c4.1 in this case. i have a used one that i'm trying to sell. cheap! really durable car, stellar craftsmanship, but a bit more difficult to get the setup right.

parts support, parts support, parts support...if that's such a big deal, then 90% of us would be running tc3's, losi's, or yoks. and guess what?....that's exactly what i see. that bores me to no end. yes, they are both a great value. and great cars to boot. but all the others are fully capable of winning just the same. i guess you have to figure out if you want to stockpile parts, or buy them from your lhs each time you break. i love having everything trackside ready to go. and having something a bit out of the ordinary. heck, here a shumacher is exotic! ...

oh yeah...my overall vote...the schumacher mission. SOLID in every dimension. sorry if that's not on the list. but i went down those too. good luck.

Last edited by seaball; 09-16-2002 at 09:48 PM.
seaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 04:33 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Ok thanks a ton for the help! ive narrowed it down to prolly the losi or the full graphite losi when it comes out. but i just saw another car that caught my attention and, since i would rather run something that noone else has at the track, im considering this unless someone can convince me not to. how bout the OB4 Pro International (dont know what versions they make, ive just seen the international RTR) /GM Internaional TC4 / ABC Quattro since ive been told they are the same design) ? it looks awesome(the ofna ob4) and it got good reviews in rcca saying it has tons of potential. parts support is not an issue so if anyone has info on the performance, quality, whatever of that car (or cars i should say) that would be very helpful. thanks again guys!
Old 09-18-2002, 08:16 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Default heh.....just kidding!

LOL! scratch the ob4 idea....well im keeping the 04 and i will prolly just race that. i might get the xxx-s if they have a full graphite version commin out. Thanks for the help guys. il just spend all the money i was gonna use for a new car on batts and a sweet esc! zero extreme here i come! ahahah!