R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-25-2014, 08:33 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default New to electric onroad, not a what is best thread. Please read!

So I am looking to build a blinky 17.5 touring car to run max once a month to break up the monotony of offroad 2wd buggy.

I am not looking for a what is best scenario, this is going to be something just for fun. I am wanting to know out of the budget cars (sub 250$ chassis kits) what would be recommended. Tunability and durability are the main concerns. I see VBC has a couple, as well as 3racing.

HW JuStock esc, with revtech maxzilla rpm will be electronics, but what about a servo? I see alot of people run the smaller servos, is that because of space reasoning?

I am new to electric on road, car will be run on asphalt with rubber tires.

Thank you,
Brandon
3404 NE 37 PL.
Wildwood, FL 34785
Captcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:50 AM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

You'll be able to start finding TC6.1 WC kits for very cheap soon, as the TC6.2 gets into more people's hands. It's an excellent platform.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:53 AM   #3
Tech Master

I also saw that AMains has the Yokomo BD-7 RS kit for 239.99, also states that it is upgradable to the 2014 BD-7 specs. Not something I would want to do, but I do like you can start off entry level and work it into a pro kit.

I have been looking at the AE cars, my thing is I really want to try and stay new as much as possible, I have bought used in the past, and more times than not you get someone elses nightmare.
3404 NE 37 PL.
Wildwood, FL 34785
Old 02-25-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
Tech Adept

For the Low budget car, also have a look at the Team Magic one. Its about 130€ and really good.
And about servos, if you mean low-profile ones, yes, it's because of the electronics setup to have more room for them. Have at look at the Savx 1252 MG
Old 02-25-2014, 08:55 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captcha View Post
So I am looking to build a blinky 17.5 touring car to run max once a month to break up the monotony of offroad 2wd buggy.

I am not looking for a what is best scenario, this is going to be something just for fun. I am wanting to know out of the budget cars (sub 250$ chassis kits) what would be recommended. Tunability and durability are the main concerns. I see VBC has a couple, as well as 3racing.

HW JuStock esc, with revtech maxzilla rpm will be electronics, but what about a servo? I see alot of people run the smaller servos, is that because of space reasoning?

I am new to electric on road, car will be run on asphalt with rubber tires.

Thank you,
Brandon
If you're looking for something budget I will highly suggest searching the bst threads for a pre owned. At this day and age pretty much most touring cars are all competitive. I'm not really partial to brands because I have quite a few cars so I'm not going to tell you should buy brand A to B. Another thing you should consider is parts availability wherever you're at, if you're like me and don't really care and order online brand doesn't really matter. Here's a quick l list at cars the frequent my local track.

Xray T4 - Texas is XRAY Country
Spec R R1
Yokomo BD7
Top Photon
Hobao Touring
Serpent 411
VBC DB05
Tamiya 418 - Only me for now
Shumacher Mi5 - here and there

I personally have a few justock and they're good esc for stock racing. The Revtech Killshot motors is also what I use and I don't have any issues. In most cases people use low profile servos, no need for a full standard size. You would want the speed .06-.09 and torque rating under 160oz. which by the way is overkill. Onroad guys like tight clean electronics setup.
b20btec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:55 AM   #6
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesoman View Post
For the Low budget car, also have a look at the Team Magic one. Its about 130 and really good.
And about servos, if you mean low-profile ones, yes, it's because of the electronics setup to have more room for them. Have at look at the Savx 1252 MG
I actually have access to one of those servos, also Team Magic I do not believe has a good following where I will be racing but I know that yokomo/3racing/vbc do. I will go to the hobby store and see what they have for parts.

Thank you for the recommondation!
3404 NE 37 PL.
Wildwood, FL 34785
Old 02-25-2014, 09:06 AM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by b20btec View Post
If you're looking for something budget I will highly suggest searching the bst threads for a pre owned. At this day and age pretty much most touring cars are all competitive. I'm not really partial to brands because I have quite a few cars so I'm not going to tell you should buy brand A to B. Another thing you should consider is parts availability wherever you're at, if you're like me and don't really care and order online brand doesn't really matter. Here's a quick l list at cars the frequent my local track.

Xray T4 - Texas is XRAY Country
Spec R R1
Yokomo BD7
Top Photon
Hobao Touring
Serpent 411
VBC DB05
Tamiya 418 - Only me for now
Shumacher Mi5 - here and there

I personally have a few justock and they're good esc for stock racing. The Revtech Killshot motors is also what I use and I don't have any issues. In most cases people use low profile servos, no need for a full standard size. You would want the speed .06-.09 and torque rating under 160oz. which by the way is overkill. Onroad guys like tight clean electronics setup.
Thank you for the information! I run the JuStock in my B5 and love it, switching to trinity revtech motors in that as well. I am leaning right now to the BD-7 RS that I found on amain. I love building kits, and would much rather a new car, vs. a used car, even if it is a better car.
3404 NE 37 PL.
Wildwood, FL 34785
Old 02-25-2014, 09:41 AM   #8
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Quote:
I also saw that AMains has the Yokomo BD-7 RS kit for 239.99, also states that it is upgradable to the 2014 BD-7 specs. Not something I would want to do, but I do like you can start off entry level and work it into a pro kit.

I have been looking at the AE cars, my thing is I really want to try and stay new as much as possible, I have bought used in the past, and more times than not you get someone elses nightmare.
A-main has TC6.1 WC kits for $350 also. You might be able to find cheaper if you search around for a while. No upgrades needed to be extremely competitive right out of the box.

I would keep parts support in mind when looking at what to get. AE is usually pretty strong everywhere you go and most shops have Xray stuff too. You don't want to be stuck with mail-order for everything you need.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:35 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Associated is selling the tc6.1 worlds car for 250 plus free shipping if you're looking to go AE http://www.teamassociated.com/parts/details/30108/
anr211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:17 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Thank you for the information! I run the JuStock in my B5 and love it, switching to trinity revtech motors in that as well. I am leaning right now to the BD-7 RS that I found on amain. I love building kits, and would much rather a new car, vs. a used car, even if it is a better car.
I'm personally a yokomo fan, I own BD5 and 2014 BD7. The BD-7RS is a OK car but will always perform subpar to the other kits. I don't know the extent of what you're going to do with the onroad racing but the choice is yours. You will need to upgrade to sway bars at a minimum with the RS. You can always buy a used car and take it apart lol. I'm not an AE fan but the 6.1 is a great car for a great price as suggested by other users. Anyways good luck on your onroad venture!
b20btec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by b20btec View Post
I'm personally a yokomo fan, I own BD5 and 2014 BD7. The BD-7RS is a OK car but will always perform subpar to the other kits. I don't know the extent of what you're going to do with the onroad racing but the choice is yours. You will need to upgrade to sway bars at a minimum with the RS. You can always buy a used car and take it apart lol. I'm not an AE fan but the 6.1 is a great car for a great price as suggested by other users. Anyways good luck on your onroad venture!
Thank you, it is something me and a couple friends have talked about and decided to do. Superior Hobbies runs a once a month at most club race in the parking lot, and it is just something for fun, something to break up the monotony of always running 2wd buggy, or offroad in general. A buddy is sponsored by serpent and is getting the s411 sport, so I figured the BD-7 RS was a comparible kit. I will look at the tc6.1 though if it is at that good of a price.
3404 NE 37 PL.
Wildwood, FL 34785
Old 02-25-2014, 11:39 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anr211 View Post
Associated is selling the tc6.1 worlds car for 250 plus free shipping if you're looking to go AE http://www.teamassociated.com/parts/details/30108/
I saw that as well. I'm not an AE fan TBH but the fact is that a lot of guys run them, parts are cheap and you can practically find them anywhere, and the online support is good. Getting one up to pace will not be a difficult task. I'd take advantage of that deal if I wasn't already set with the cars I have.

Used... XRAY. I don't think anything really compares to the durability. Parts support is similar to AE. Again, lots of guys running them if you need help. I really like some of the kits out there that you don't see a lot of, such as Yokomo, but if you are new to on road I would probably stay with the sure-bets then move on to something more exotic later on.