R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Rubber tire questions..... (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/794987-rubber-tire-questions.html)

Fly'n Fish 02-22-2014 12:55 AM

Rubber tire questions.....

Hi all,

I have a few rubbber tire on asphalt questions!

Do you need to run inserts in a rubber tire and if so how do you choose them?

With rubber compounds, would you ever mix the tires ie have one compound up the front and another at the back?

Do tire warmers really help? Why not just run a couple of fast warm up laps?

Thanks

xrayracer1 02-22-2014 01:06 AM

Yes, you do run tire inserts. Most tire companies will include the inserts with their tires. If it's too much trouble for you, some companies offer a pre-mounted tire.

You can mix tire compounds to help with handling, just try to stick with the same brands.

Tire warmers can help, but I very rarely use mine (only at big events).

grippgoat 02-22-2014 01:11 AM

Inserts: required. Ask your local racers or the tire manufacturer for recommendations. I could be wrong, but my limited experience is thinner/softer = more grip and more heat and more wear.

Compound mixing: never seen it done. But that doesn't mean you can't do it.

Warmers: it's more about getting the sauce to soak in more. They heat the tire all the way through, ao not the same as warmup laps. In summer, most people in my club just use sauce with no warmers. I think it depends on what sauce you're using, too. Some work better with warmers than others.

When in doubt, look / ask around the pits to see what the fast people are doing. :)

-Mike

Fly'n Fish 02-22-2014 10:33 PM

thanks guys, i bought some sorex tires and they didnt come with the inserts, any recommendations on which brands do? also, will other brands of inserts fit OK?

Fly'n Fish 02-22-2014 10:45 PM

Hey, I am just looking at the amain hobbies store and it seems 'coldest' track tyres they have in premount is 32R, is that a standard compound people are using year round. We get some frosty morning around here so I think track temps could go as low as 20 degrees with the sun out....

xrayracer1 02-22-2014 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Fly'n Fish (Post 13033823)
thanks guys, i bought some sorex tires and they didnt come with the inserts, any recommendations on which brands do? also, will other brands of inserts fit OK?

97% of tire inserts will fit every tire. I've always found a medium insert works well for me. Take off are a brand that includes the inserts with their tires (although I will admit they are becoming hard to get). Also try to use a proline or LRP/NOSRAM rims as they are acetone resistant. :cool:

Barry_Hughes 02-22-2014 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Fly'n Fish (Post 13033837)
Hey, I am just looking at the amain hobbies store and it seems 'coldest' track tyres they have in premount is 32R, is that a standard compound people are using year round. We get some frosty morning around here so I think track temps could go as low as 20 degrees with the sun out....

No if it is colder you need a lower temp tyre Sorex 28R is better or even 24R. Make sure you get them with Yellow insert not the Blue blue is for carpet racing - these are available here ready mounted http://demonpowerproducts.co.uk/index.php?cPath=80_82#

The softer the tyre though the more they will wear, especially if they start overheating. So it may be you need a 24 to start the day then move to a 28 later in the day.

Re Tyre Warmers, most racers in the UK use tyre warmers, partly to get the sauce into the tyre & partly to get the tyre working right from the off. At the bigger meetings you are not allowed to do any warm up laps.

Fly'n Fish 02-23-2014 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Barry_Hughes (Post 13033907)
No if it is colder you need a lower temp tyre Sorex 28R is better or even 24R. Make sure you get them with Yellow insert not the Blue blue is for carpet racing - these are available here ready mounted http://demonpowerproducts.co.uk/index.php?cPath=80_82#

The softer the tyre though the more they will wear, especially if they start overheating. So it may be you need a 24 to start the day then move to a 28 later in the day.

Re Tyre Warmers, most racers in the UK use tyre warmers, partly to get the sauce into the tyre & partly to get the tyre working right from the off. At the bigger meetings you are not allowed to do any warm up laps.

Re the warm up laps, i thought i saw a video from the worlds where they were doing warmup laps for the finals!?

I am getting pretty lost with all the options on tires, any suggestions for good quality pre mounts?

What do people think about sweep tires?

xrayracer1 02-23-2014 03:46 AM

Sweep, Ride, Muchmore and Sorex make good pre mounts. Although I've found the sorex rims to be a little weak.

Barry_Hughes 02-23-2014 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Fly'n Fish (Post 13034050)
Re the warm up laps, i thought i saw a video from the worlds where they were doing warmup laps for the finals!?

I am getting pretty lost with all the options on tires, any suggestions for good quality pre mounts?

What do people think about sweep tires?

Different series have different rules :)

Sorex are probably the most popular in the UK

Quietman 02-23-2014 01:09 PM

Sorex must be good their our national tyres and for btcc,chippenham series so must be doing somthing right

Controversy 02-23-2014 10:47 PM

Re:

Good thread idea Fly'n Fish.

I too have been asking myself these types of questions and have not been able to find much information regarding tire/insert combinations and what effects they have.

Thanks for all the input everyone. My knowledge base is forever growing in the world of R/C.

Fly'n Fish 03-26-2014 07:30 PM

Hey guys, a couple of extra questions! I have heard a l lot about tires loosing traction as they get older. Can someone tell me how this works, i mean you might loose say10% in the first 30 minutes and then it levels off at that until you get to 60 mins. For practice, how often should i get a new set, no point practicing with underperforming rubber.....