R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-20-2014, 06:57 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Ordered the sprint 2 flux today

Ordered the hpi sprint flux 2 today, should be here next week... plus track dots as well to set up a course at the bball court. was a dirt oval racer but wanted to mess around with this.. this one comes with the camaro body.. but might want a different body, not a camaro fan.. hope to have some drifting and road course action real soon.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:25 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Also , want to pick up a cheap mini video recorder to mess witn. Nothing fancy.anyone have an idea in what to get or a link to a cheap one?
Old 02-21-2014, 05:31 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-el...g-your-rc.html
Old 02-21-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by wever75 View Post
thanks, I might get a keychain recorder.I did see some on eBay for around $20.00 ish.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:20 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by catawissarocket View Post
Ordered the hpi sprint flux 2 today, should be here next week... plus track dots as well to set up a course at the bball court. was a dirt oval racer but wanted to mess around with this.. this one comes with the camaro body.. but might want a different body, not a camaro fan.. hope to have some drifting and road course action real soon.
Have fun with it. Despite its failings, it's a fun chassis, great for parking lots and is really quick. Tough to get it to Drift well, but it can with some love. Check out the sprint 2 mods discussion, it has a ton of info. The vektor motor performs well. Get the castle link so you can dial it in and it'll perform even better. Currently researching options to improve the steering angle.
SeeGee911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:09 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGee911 View Post
Have fun with it. Despite its failings, it's a fun chassis, great for parking lots and is really quick. Tough to get it to Drift well, but it can with some love. Check out the sprint 2 mods discussion, it has a ton of info. The vektor motor performs well. Get the castle link so you can dial it in and it'll perform even better. Currently researching options to improve the steering angle.
Sould be early next week. no racing just some blacktop fun, even i add some drift tires it will be tough in getting it to drift?
Old 02-23-2014, 06:06 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Quote:
Sould be early next week. no racing just some blacktop fun, even i add some drift tires it will be tough in getting it to drift?
Straight out of the box, the Sprint 2 Flux isn't a good drifter with just drift tires. You'll get some sweet power slides out of it, and some tail-whips that end up in a spin out, but that's about it. After some practice you may get some acceptable drift maneuvers out of it, but nothing great. If you really want it to be good at drifting, you'll need to start with the following at least...

1. appropriate drift tires for your surface
2. Castle Link to turn down power output (Flux motor is way too much power for drifting) and requires a ton of precise throttle work with your finger at full output.
3. new suspension. the stock S2 suspension is garbage for drifting. this can be tricky as it all depends on your style of driving, your surface and the layout of your chassis and if you are in large course or small, tight course. generally though, really soften up the rear and soften up the front some. this means soft(er) springs and lighter shock oil.
4. lock the rear diff

do these and you'll notice the Sprint 2 can actually drift now instead of just slide around out of control, dependent on driver skill. there are other mods you can do to the sprint 2 to make it a better drifter, but will render it almost useless as a high-speed parking lot basher.
wareagle84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:42 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Ok now i need some help, the flux arrived today. i want to set the esc up for lipo, the directions i got say hpi sport 2 and inside the booklet it shows the firebolt brushed motor and the esc thats comes with that package which isnt brushless.. so now i dont know how to set up the esc for lipo and it might sound funny but i cant even find the on and off switch if there even is one.

can someone post how to do this and did i get the right directions? thanks guys in advance.

Shawn
Old 02-25-2014, 03:51 PM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
Ok now i need some help, the flux arrived today. i want to set the esc up for lipo, the directions i got say hpi sport 2 and inside the booklet it shows the firebolt brushed motor and the esc thats comes with that package which isnt brushless.. so now i dont know how to set up the esc for lipo and it might sound funny but i cant even find the on and off switch if there even is one.

can someone post how to do this and did i get the right directions? thanks guys in advance.

Shawn
I believe the ESC is just a rebranded Castle Sidewinder. At least it used to be.

Google search Castle sidewinder setup. It probably requires the castle link to change most things.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:33 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
I believe the ESC is just a rebranded Castle Sidewinder. At least it used to be.

Google search Castle sidewinder setup. It probably requires the castle link to change most things.
Really? i need something else to do this. thats sucks if the case..so no on and off switch? thats weird. im wondering to if thats the directions that came with is correct.. sprint sport 2 is what came with it not flux. but maybe thats correct. anyone else have an idea?
Old 02-25-2014, 05:03 PM   #11
Tech Adept

My biggest complaint is why in the hell would they send a sport 2 setup booklet when its the flux? totally two different setups electronic wise. i personally never seen an esc without an on and off switch.. i just hope to figure out how to set it up for a lipo!
Old 02-26-2014, 02:26 AM   #12
Tech Adept

To the top. Any ideas?
Old 02-26-2014, 06:29 AM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

There is a separate instruction book for the flux. Seems silly it didn't ship with your kit. Here is a link to download it: http://www.hpiracing.com/en/instructions/106168

It looks like you can program the esc with out the castle link.
MikeGozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:14 AM   #14
Tech Regular

both of my Flux's came with Sport instruction manuals, and I know another person who's did also. Seems they only send out the Sport manual.

there is no on/off switch on the Flux esc, and it is a relabeled Sidewinder system. AFAIK you'll need the Castle Link to switch to Li-Po mode. Don't worry, you'll want and use the Castle Link for other stuff too. Castle Link is the FIRST part anyone should buy for their Sprint 2 Flux in my opinion.
wareagle84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:37 AM   #15
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagle84 View Post
both of my Flux's came with Sport instruction manuals, and I know another person who's did also. Seems they only send out the Sport manual.

there is no on/off switch on the Flux esc, and it is a relabeled Sidewinder system. AFAIK you'll need the Castle Link to switch to Li-Po mode. Don't worry, you'll want and use the Castle Link for other stuff too. Castle Link is the FIRST part anyone should buy for their Sprint 2 Flux in my opinion.
thanks, but you think they would let you know that in the description incase people only have lipos.. kind of silly to own brushless but not use lipos.most people now a days use lipos.. so this will set me behind a little being I don't have the USB yet.would it be OK to to keep an eye on the voltage and run my lipo even thow its in nicad mode? Its brand new and I would like to test it out today for a little fun. Thanks guys