Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help with motor types.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 08:24 AM
Tech Adept

Need help with motor types.

Just bought a kyosho Ultima st & compared to my nitro it crawles along! The stock motor is a 540, 20 turn. Can I upgrade this to something that will give it a little more power, not neccessarily more speed, just more power. I have fitted a 18 tooth pinion gear to the motor to drive the gear system, hoping that this will give it a little more acceleration. Should I go for a higher tooth pinion to give it a higher top speed?

I don't really understand too much about the motor standards or terminology, can anyone explain?
Old 07-30-2005, 08:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Chances are, the motor in the truck is a "silver can," which is basically the worst motor out there. I'm sure everyone here will suggest that you get a new motor right away! There's many options out there, which is the area I'm not too familiar with. I'm not sure what the power/speed difference would be, but your ESC may not be able to handle anything below a 20 turn, much like the Traxxas ESC's. You may have to settle for a stock motor, which is a 27 turn. Monster Stock motors are really good, and they can be found anywhere.
-Josh
Old 07-30-2005, 08:48 AM
Tech Adept

Well, the motor is silver, in the literal sense. It came with the kit. I know I will probably have to change the ESC aswell if I go for a more powerful motor. I was told that electric was just as good as nitro. The question is, do I carry on with the electric & upgrade, is it worth it, or do I go back to nitro? I will just have to weigh up the pro's & con's I guess.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you just want it to have more snap, but not a ton of top speed, i would recomend a 17 turn motor... This seems to be a great motor for bashing around, But it gives more power, and still allows for a decent amount of runtime.. For the price, i would recomend one of the trinity speed gem series motors..great bang for the buck...plus a 17 turn wont kill your speedo.. if you planning on upgrading the speedo anyway, just run it with the motor till it blows.. but i dont think it will..

i like electric, cause you can race year round.. ie indoors and out.. gas is limited..
Old 07-30-2005, 08:58 AM
Tech Regular

Default Dude

Hey this is what i would reccomend

2ND Hand Speed Control(esc) Novak Cyclone or something...i still run one there awesome and reliable and still one of the punchiest esc out thre

And coz that speed control is unlimited you could probably get a 15 or 19turn... and some good batterys to go with it and it should fly past your nitro

Regards Dimo
Old 07-30-2005, 09:11 AM
Tech Adept

So what your saying is, if I pick a good lower turn motor & an ESC that will back it up, then I could still get as good if not better performance as my nitro?
Old 07-30-2005, 10:03 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by silacomalley
So what your saying is, if I pick a good lower turn motor & an ESC that will back it up, then I could still get as good if not better performance as my nitro?
Yeah, pretty much! But if you pick a super low-turn motor (such as an 7, 8, or 9 turn), you SHOULD NEVER run the motor for more than five minutes. Motor's lower than 10 turns are often considered drag motors.
-Josh
Old 07-30-2005, 12:50 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks Josh.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:41 PM
Tech Addict

Not a problem. The wild, vast world of motors can be very confusing (and still is a bit confusing to me... ). Good luck.
-Josh
Old 07-30-2005, 10:28 PM
Tech Master

I think an Orion 10x2 V2 ($55) and a used Novak GT7 ($65) would be good. You can hit up to 50 runs without having to rebuild the Orion by the way. You might have to consider purchasing some new quality batts like GP3300s.

Sean
Old 07-30-2005, 11:11 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Team Duratrax
I think an Orion 10x2 V2 ($55) and a used Novak GT7 ($65) would be good. You can hit up to 50 runs without having to rebuild the Orion by the way. You might have to consider purchasing some new quality batts like GP3300s.

Sean
Yeah, that would be a good set up. And if you ever felt like racing electric, you have a very raceworthy ESC (and motor) already. Not to mention that set up would haul...
-Josh
Old 07-31-2005, 12:29 AM
Tech Adept

Ok guys. In my new truck I have a servo controlled throttle, the servo arm connects to a rotary thing which makes the car either go forward or reverse. So.....I have an MSC, right? I am just getting a little confused as to how an ESC works without a servo! Is it the reciever that controls it, as opposed to a physical servo?

Also, when I am looking at motors I notice that in the description it mentions that some motors are 'double', what does this mean when they say one motor is 18 turn & a similar motor is 18 double?

I have an NiMH 3000 battery pack by the way, I presume this has enough power to keep the truck going for a while.

This is the site I am looking through at the mo http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/cat...d=132&type=CAR
Old 07-31-2005, 03:19 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by silacomalley
Ok guys. In my new truck I have a servo controlled throttle, the servo arm connects to a rotary thing which makes the car either go forward or reverse. So.....I have an MSC, right? I am just getting a little confused as to how an ESC works without a servo! Is it the reciever that controls it, as opposed to a physical servo?
Ewww....

Just have fun with it now and when you want to upgrade get the V2 and GT7 as i said.

Sean
Old 07-31-2005, 10:40 AM
Tech Addict

Yeah. The reciever still sends the same sort of signal to the ESC. But there's all sorts of circuitry in the ESC, and I dunno... I just goes nuts whenever you send it a signal. You have to have a pretty good knowledge of electronics and circuitry to know what goes on, and I think very few of us have that knowledge. We just buy it and run it... But I agree with Team Duratrax- Manual Speed Controls are more user friendly (some of the time) than ESC's. But I don't think that you can't upgrade now if you feel comfortable with your driving and maintenence skills. If you're ready- go for it!
-Josh
Old 07-31-2005, 10:46 AM
Tech Adept

Ok dude, thats exactly the info I needed Thanks.