R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-28-2005, 07:57 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to ALBERTO Send a message via Yahoo to ALBERTO
Default Polishing the stacks

Polishing the stacks is Illegal on stock and 19 turn motors.....
why is that? what benifit do you get from doing this???
Old 07-28-2005, 08:12 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Decreased air turbulance around the arm as it spins.
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 08:17 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to allstock Send a message via AIM to allstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
Decreased air turbulance around the arm as it spins.
Good theory...but where does it say it is illegal...which ROAR rule ?
allstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 09:05 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

alright, i'll win the nerd award

rule 8.5.6.6.1 (in pdf so i can't cut/paste) says roughly: 'no mods to the physical construction of the motor can, endbell, or armature will be permitted (e.g. adding or removing material from the armature stack.......)'
gee-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 10:06 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The motors you see with polished stacks aren't just polished. They have had a few thousandths removed from the arms diameter. This increases the air gap between the arm and the magnets, reduces the strength of the arm's electromagnetism and makes the motor turn more RPM.

Many Factory team motor guys used to do this to the team motors for their drivers. You can have one wind....a 8x2 for example with a stock diameter and one that has been turned down a few thousandths. Now you have two completely different motors. The big arm will have more torque and the small arm will turn more rpm.

This really isn't done too often anymore. Stock diameter arms are more efficient and the batts are so good you can just run more timing if you need more rpm or motor up to a 7 from an 8.

This is certainly illegal to do to a stock or 19T motor.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 10:12 PM   #6
TEM
Tech Regular

Yep, smaller stack dia. , more gap, weaker mag field, more rpm; and vice versa. I don't know what level of racing you are at but you really don't need to do things like that! You really don't....... I'm telling you man, forget about it....
TEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 01:17 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Can anyone put here picture some polished stacks?
Tral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 03:17 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mafiaracers Send a message via MSN to mafiaracers

I've done it to a few of my "beater" stock motors....I don't have any pics...but imagine instead of that grayish green color on the stack....the entire stack looks like polished stainless steel....that's basically it...

MAFIA MOTORSPORTS
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/168239-pit-board.html

TEAM WAVE
www.teamwaveonline.com

TQ Racing Wire
www.tqracing.com
mafiaracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 09:02 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Do not polish the stacks of an arm unless you have a balancer and can rebalance the arm. Team Br00d mod motors come with polished arms. I have not felt any differance in the performance of polished vs unpolished, but the polished really looks pimp.
ChadK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 06:48 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to allstock Send a message via AIM to allstock

Ok..ROAR rules state for stock and 19t, that
"No modifications to the stack may be made other than drilling of balancing. Modifications to the original OEM/importer/Manufacturer configurations, including but not limited to excessive drill holes, milling or turning to lighten the armature or enhance the performance of the full stack are not allowed." It also states that "No modifications to the physical construction of the motor can, endbell, or armature will be permitted (e.g. adding or removing material from the armature stack, changing brush hoods from stand up to lay down, relocating spring posts."

So, we are not talking about milling or turning here , we were talking about POLISHING. There are OEM manufacturers with polished stacks approved by ROAR. If you change an already approved unpolished stack in a motor to a polished stack that was not done by manufacturer...then ROAR may have a gripe with you. But if they measure the armature diameter of a polished stack (not Milled) it is doubtful they will see a change in millimeters anyway. And mind you, if you go by the strict letter of their rules...you may not polish the inside of your bushings or polish your armature shafts either. Ridiculous !

So we are still at the same place .... Polishing. Is it legal or not ?
Get some low grit polishing paper and some billet polish, throw your armatures in your Dremel and spin em up...looks clean and sharp. Bling Bling.
Attached Thumbnails
Polishing the stacks-stack1.jpg  

Last edited by allstock; 07-29-2005 at 07:01 PM.
allstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 09:48 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstock
Ok..ROAR rules state for stock and 19t, that
"No modifications to the stack may be made other than drilling of balancing. Modifications to the original OEM/importer/Manufacturer configurations, including but not limited to excessive drill holes, milling or turning to lighten the armature or enhance the performance of the full stack are not allowed." It also states that "No modifications to the physical construction of the motor can, endbell, or armature will be permitted (e.g. adding or removing material from the armature stack, changing brush hoods from stand up to lay down, relocating spring posts."

So, we are not talking about milling or turning here , we were talking about POLISHING. There are OEM manufacturers with polished stacks approved by ROAR. If you change an already approved unpolished stack in a motor to a polished stack that was not done by manufacturer...then ROAR may have a gripe with you. But if they measure the armature diameter of a polished stack (not Milled) it is doubtful they will see a change in millimeters anyway. And mind you, if you go by the strict letter of their rules...you may not polish the inside of your bushings or polish your armature shafts either. Ridiculous !

So we are still at the same place .... Polishing. Is it legal or not ?
Get some low grit polishing paper and some billet polish, throw your armatures in your Dremel and spin em up...looks clean and sharp. Bling Bling.
Well...you answered you own question, "No modifications to the stack may be made other than drilling of balancing". That's pretty clear. You must run Stock and 19T armatures the way they look when they get pulled out of their shipping crates. If you bought a polished 19T Spec motor or a Polished Stock motor from a motor tuner you just bought an illegal motor that would be DQ'ed at any ROAR or Non-ROAR event.

You guys need to stop all this talk about shining turds . If you want to go fast...GO MOD!
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 11:16 PM   #12
Company Representative

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

LOL @ Adrian....

Very true, you want to go faster....GO MOD.....
Tres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 05:27 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to ALBERTO Send a message via Yahoo to ALBERTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBERTO
Polishing the stacks is Illegal on stock and 19 turn motors.....
why is that? what benifit do you get from doing this???
going faster wasnt the question!!!!!! I have read some were that motors were polished, and i wanted to know why they were illegal...... I figured I wasnt they only one who didnt know why!!!!! Thought we were here to share information????
Old 07-30-2005, 10:10 AM   #14
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs

i talked to a roar tech at a race once and ask him about it after i saw a post on it... i was told two things....

1 when you polish the stack you remove the green color from the stack.. this is considered removing part iof the arm...

2 i was told if they do a motor tear down and see a polished stack, it throws up a flag.. most likely your motor will be unwound to make sure it isnt some special handwound, ect ect.. for me it wouldnt be worth chancing a motor tear down..
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 10:12 AM   #15
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBERTO
going faster wasnt the question!!!!!! I have read some were that motors were polished, and i wanted to know why they were illegal...... I figured I wasnt they only one who didnt know why!!!!! Thought we were here to share information????

also most motor builders, when they say the polish the arm, they mean they polish the shafts, not the actual stacks...
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote