R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-30-2005, 06:15 PM   #16
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to allstock Send a message via AIM to allstock

Shafts are parts of armatures...and you are not allowed to polish them either cause that would remove material also...according to the way ROAR rules read.
"No modifications to the physical construction of the motor can, endbell, or armature will be permitted (e.g. adding or removing material from the armature stack, changing brush hoods from stand up to lay down, etc...) Blah Blah Blah. And if you cut your comm or have to clean your can magnets...that also removes material. Ya want a little more air gap? Hone your magnets...leave the anti-rust paint on your stacks...think anyone will measure the magnets....HAAAAAAAA. The rules seem arbitrary and up to an official at any given race. Until a rule specifically states no polishing, it is not illegal. Go to ROAR Jail, do not pass go......

Last edited by allstock; 07-30-2005 at 06:42 PM.
allstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 10:13 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This is such a waste of time. Do whatever you want to a stock motor. Polish the stack (Illegal, dubious benifit), hone the magnets (This will permanently reduce magnets power), zap timing advance into the magnets (Makes motors overheat and fade late in runs and only lasts 1-2 runs), ream the bushings (This works but only if you don't got too far), etc. In the end a 12 year old kid with re-run brushes will still beat you if he is a better driver.

I am so glad I have stopped wasting my time running stock.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 10:29 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

You really want a good headache as well as making your stock motors faster? Try this:

Zap all of your magnets. Remove them from the cans and gauss read them all. Use these readings to match them. Make a slug out of a material that is magnetic. Make the diameter of the slug 4-8 thousanths of an inch smaller than the actual gap you want. Install the magnets into the can and use either shims that are magnetic or use glue to hold the magnets to the can. Shims are better as they will help flow the magnetism to the can better. After the magnets are in the can, then hone the magnets to the airgap you want. While reducing the thickness of the magnets will slightly reduce the magnetic field strength, it is worth it to have an even hole for the armature to rotate in. Using the slug makes sure the magnets start out at the same distance from center so when you hone, basically the magnets remain the same. The honing will make up for any imperfections in the shaping of the magnets. Of course, make certain your bushings and brush hoods are aligned.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:57 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)

"I am so glad I have stopped wasting my time running stock."

Yeah, you must be that much better than everyone that is WASTING their time racing stock.

Racing stock is more like how real racing is! You can't just put in a lower turn motor to go faster. To each their own though, so you race mod and I will race stock, I have nothing against racing mod, I am really new to this but hate seeing comments as above. Good luck in whatever you race!
www.FinishLineRaceway.com
dmayhew25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 12:57 AM   #20
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to allstock Send a message via AIM to allstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmayhew25
Racing stock is more like how real racing is! You can't just put in a lower turn motor to go faster.
I agree. Tuning and running a stock motor is more challenging for me. Many racers do not want to be bothered and would rather use mods, and that is fine. But, plenty of local tracks are actually too small for anything other than stock or 19t, so you land up rebuilding motors and trying to get the most out of them (polishing). Ya gotta love that !
And if a 12 year old beats me, good for him/her...so be it. I have nothing against that. Age does not necessarily make you faster/slower...or smarter. Or is that ROAR illegal also ? How about if you run your tuned stock against 19t's...and you win ? Oh my....
Race em if ya got em.
allstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 01:24 AM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Not to mention that running mod "usually" puts you in the class of running against people that "many of which" are full boat sponsored and practically race for a living.....Many don't pay for the 35.00 per set tires that they change every couple runs at the least(if they want to be competetive that is),or much else on the cars, not to mention the extream wear and tear difference on the car , motor and batterys that occurs with an 8 turn compared to a stock or 19 turn....and all for what you ask....about a second per lap difference on an average size track..... .....

1/10 Scale: Associated B-5(rear motor)...Tekin RSX Gen-2 W/8.5t... Savox SC-1258-TG Servo
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 03:49 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to ALBERTO Send a message via Yahoo to ALBERTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
This is such a waste of time. Do whatever you want to a stock motor. Polish the stack (Illegal, dubious benifit), hone the magnets (This will permanently reduce magnets power), zap timing advance into the magnets (Makes motors overheat and fade late in runs and only lasts 1-2 runs), ream the bushings (This works but only if you don't got too far), etc. In the end a 12 year old kid with re-run brushes will still beat you if he is a better driver.

I am so glad I have stopped wasting my time running stock.
I am truly sorry for starting this thread and upsetting you My intentions were mearly to get information, which a lot of you guys have provided. THANK YOU!!! Runing mod or runing stock, Isn't up to me..... It's up to the tracks I go to. So it is up to me to have all sorts of motors to have fun!!!! If I were to have your attitude I would be sitting in the side lines watching.. But dont worry I would be cool cause I only run mod allstock brought up a valid point with the size of the track and being able to get the most out of a stock motor (while staying legal of corse) Joe B you are sooo right about most mod classes bumps you into a different caliber of drivers and equiment. OH YA, on a side note cant wait to see ya 19t motors for BMI

PEOPLE WHO ARE STARTING OUT AND READING THIS, RACING STOCK IS NOT A WAIST OF TIME !!!!!!!
Old 07-31-2005, 10:09 AM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to crimson eagle

Wow,

A lot of people down on Stock here, racing is racing get over yourselves. I race Stock 4 cell 12th scale and I put in laps just as fast as the 19T sedan racers. I'd rather race stock and be racing with the other 10 people who race 12th scale than race mod and be all on my own. I have raced them all, you get a much closer race when you run stock and it's (mostly) about driving.

Last edited by crimson eagle; 07-31-2005 at 02:19 PM.
crimson eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 10:58 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson eagle
Wow,

A lot of people down on Stock here, racing is racing get over yourselves. I race Stock 4 cell 12th scale and I put in laps just as fact as the 19T sedan racers. I'd rather race stock and be racing with the other 10 people who race 12th scale than race mod and be all on my own. I have raced them all, you get a much closer race when you run stock and it's (mostly) about driving.

You hit the nail on the head until that last statement. MOD is mostly about driving. Or atleast compaired to stock. But in the case of 1/12th scale, I'm sure it's more driver than motor and batteries. I like to run stock b/c the field is much closer than 19t or mod, but stock has cost me more money than 19turn. Stock needs the high volt batteries more so than 19turn. And mod just needs the runtime and a smooth throttle finger. It's kinda paradoxal, but the slower you go, the better your equipment needs to be. At the tracks around me, if your running stock, you better bring your A game to make the feature. But for 19t or mod, a clean run will land you in the middle to upper A-main. That's just in my area. It might be the complete opposite in Cali or up north.

Last edited by Pro4Capece; 07-31-2005 at 12:22 PM.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 11:49 AM   #25
Tech Master

I don't want to pay more to go slower!

I decided for this winter season I'm practicing 19t or Mod and running the closest, most competative class the track I run has that race night. Most of the time its Expert Stock. I want to be prepared for this winter
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 10:39 PM   #26
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKat
I don't want to pay more to go slower!

I decided for this winter season I'm practicing 19t or Mod and running the closest, most competitive class the track I run has that race night. Most of the time its Expert Stock. I want to be prepared for this winter
This is the right attitude. Practice with more power than you race with and you WILL be a better driver.

I don't mean to knock stock drivers but I do think a lot of stock driver waste a lot of time and effort trying to work on a super tuned or God forbid cheater stock motor when they could get much better results if they would leave their motors alone and go practice driving.

Guys think that stock is all about motor. This is part of it but it a lot more is about driving efficiently and getting a really good car setup. Take a guy with the baddest Monster Stock to ever exist and put him up against Peter Robinson, Alex Lopez or Steven Sobotka (sp?) with a Paradox that hasn't been cut in a year and they will make him look like he is standing still.

These guys put in serious track time to make sure their cars have just enough traction to get around and no more, they drive perfect lines lap after lap maximizing corner speed.

At big races they have EA , Putnam or someone else do their motors. The rest of the time they just run the brush and spring they ran at the last big race and that's it. They will never be seen on this thread because they know this is a huge waste of time better spent on the track.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 11:05 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
Guys think that stock is all about motor. This is part of it but it a lot more is about driving efficiently and getting a really good car setup.
This is the absolute truth. It's all about not losing momentum in stock. If some guy motors you down the straight in stock, look at how fast he goes through the corner getting on to the straight. It's all about momentum. The best stock driver I have ever seen is Matt Francis. He is able to keep a stock motor spooled up better than anyone I've ever seen.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:20 PM   #28
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

As a track owner I can tell you this,Stock pays the bills,Mod does NOT.You need to be honest..most guys do not have the skills to run mod with out tearing up theirs and everyone elses cars.You should be happy that their are guys out their racing your sponsor's car in stock..
Old 07-31-2005, 11:50 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Lots of rant for no answers.

The originall question remains:

WHAT is the Benefit of having the stacks polished? Do it really make a difference in performance?

I can tell you for certain that most polish jobs are taking only .001-.003 off the total diameter of the stacks, which is only HALF of that per side. So, if you took off .003, you are only .0015 farther from the mags on each side. A regular sheet of notebook paper is .003" to give you an idea how minimal that is. So does it HELP performance???? (Regardless of its legality)
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 11:59 PM   #30
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Even taking off a small amount will increase RPM....just basic physics....

And that little green coating isn't always perfectly smooth......so by making it smooth, you eliminate any chance of an imperction causing drag.....

In the end, they are very very very minimal differences.

And for the record....it's a 100% illegal to do on any stock or 19t motor under ROAR rules....while one could argue that polishing the shafts is the same thing, there is absolutely no way to tech it......

Latrer EddieO