R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-14-2014, 05:08 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Default The left-handed question...

My son (5) is just starting to show an interest in driving an RC car around the house. He's left handed.

Intuitively, he grabs the controller with his right hand, then holds it to his chest and reaches around to the wheel from underneath.

This looks extremely uncomfortable to me and I have tried to guide him towards a couple of other postures (hand over the top, right-handed) but he goes straight back to the controller on the chest (unsurprisingly).

My question is this... should I let him continue to find his own way around a right-handed transmitter, or is it worth seeking out a left-handed transmitter (old Futaba 3PK for example) and get him to have a more ergonomic position (to a right hander's eyes)?
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:21 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
My son (5) is just starting to show an interest in driving an RC car around the house. He's left handed.

Intuitively, he grabs the controller with his right hand, then holds it to his chest and reaches around to the wheel from underneath.

This looks extremely uncomfortable to me and I have tried to guide him towards a couple of other postures (hand over the top, right-handed) but he goes straight back to the controller on the chest (unsurprisingly).

My question is this... should I let him continue to find his own way around a right-handed transmitter, or is it worth seeking out a left-handed transmitter (old Futaba 3PK for example) and get him to have a more ergonomic position (to a right hander's eyes)?
It's amazing how fast kids will adapt to things.

I think the 3pk, may be to heavy and the grip to big for his small hands and fingers. 4pk's are lighter and left hand friendly as well, however on the pricey side.

The DX3R/S or new DX4's may be a better choice for him. It is lighter and has a smaller and rounder hand grip as well as being able to go left handed.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:01 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Like this? I'd say let it go...mark burt is pretty good and he drives really funny.
Attached Thumbnails
The left-handed question...-mark-burt.jpg  
Old 02-14-2014, 06:16 AM   #4
Tech Elite

That's the style!
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:24 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I've known a couple of very good drivers that drove "over the top", like this. If that's what works for him, and it's comfortable for him, then there's nothing wrong with it.
howardcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:54 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Me personally I drive how I feel is the most comfortable, for myself. So if he is comfortable doing it his way then he will continue to improve his way. Maybe at some point at a later age, if he continues to grow and has a great passion for the hobby invest in a left handed controller. In the meantime let him do his thing
Old 02-14-2014, 06:55 AM   #7
Tech Apprentice

I got the same problem, my son is almost 5 and left handed.
The only available transmitters that can be rebuild to left handed seems to be the high end ones.
We also tried a Sanwa stick transmitter, but that one is too large and too heavy to hold for some minutes.
The Spektrum's are great for small hands, my daughter (8, and right handed) likes the DX3C with small grips and light weight. Just the max brake position is too far away.
Flipping over the transmitter is not a very good solution, very uncomfortable to drive.
ErikJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:31 AM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 355 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post

Yes let him drive the way he feels better controlling his car , I'm not lefty but can only drive a left handed radio. It just feels better for me. Same for him. Good luck
Old 02-14-2014, 07:32 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Sounds like the transmitter is faulty. Why is there a wheel on it?
daleburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:14 AM   #10
Tech Regular

At 5 years old it already feels natural, leave him to get on with it, or get him a sticky, there are a lot of very fast drivers using them (still most popular by far in the UK).

Bb
bucketboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:25 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Sometimes it stinks to be left handed, eh?

KO has you covered but it's gonna cost you that left arm to get the KIY with a left hand grip.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Hand-Grip-Unit
Old 02-14-2014, 08:46 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HenBeav

I'm left handed and I've always drove right handed, when i started i didn't know there were radios that would flip. I'd say let him do whatever but stick with the right handed radio so others can drive the car and give input on the setup ect...

Support your local Lowe's, Walmart and Layne Machine Works INC.
HenBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:51 AM   #13
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Get one of the spektrums and left hand them. its the lightest cheapest way to do it. I personally have driving airtronics for years as a lefty. Might pick up a used m11x but I might still be a bit heavy for them. Use a lipo for battery will lighten any radio. You can get them lower mah and keep it light. Only need 500mah
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:37 AM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

left handed here also. BUt when i started there was no Wheel radios. OR the Futaba just came out, SO learned to drive right handed and only way i know how.
BUt maybe see if anyone you know has a radio that will convert to LH and let him try, if not. whatever is comfortable.
ALIEN3T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:40 AM   #15
Tech Adept

I'm also a lefty and use the controller right handed. I love the throttle control it gives me over using a left handed controller. Makes sense to me to have your dominant hand doing fine throttle/brake controls. But if that's the way he drives let him keep at it! And later on pick him up a switchable controller. That way he can try it with a traditional lefty setup or the way he current does it. But the longer he does something the more comfortable it will become.
SkyReed is offline   Reply With Quote