Community
Wiki Posts
Search

12th scale spec tire

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 05:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I was a big proponent of wgt tires until I got in to 12th scale and realized that "tire tuning" is indeed a major part of racing....any racing actually. I'm most definitely a 12th scale newbie. The guys with experience are right....once you've learned about your car, once you've learned about your track, once you've learned about your driving style.....tire choice is pretty straightforward.
Yes, there's cost involved with this learning experience but since most of us really only have access to 1 track that we spend most of our time on, tire choices shouldn't be that big a deal.
Speed will always cost. These cars are capable of such high speeds now that every performance need must be utilized. Bottom line, if you don't have that need then go to a slower class. I don't say that to be rude. Personally I don't drive 13.5 because it's simply not comfortable or enjoyable to me. 17.5 is just fine. We also just started a 21.5 class that's exploding and we still left tire choice open. Newbies are loving it. They get advice, have reasonably good setups and concentrate more on tire performance and tire care.
That other thread that was mentioned regards big events. I understand the cost but like I said...Speed costs. If you attend a big event then you should have the budget to do what's needed.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:04 AM
Tech Elite

BTW, came across a new forum that's trying to get rolling and thought I might mention it. It's 12th scale only. There might be some of you who'd like to have a 12th scale only resource and I know I like the idea of being able to suggest a good resource to newbies who haven't been subjected to some of the more "colorful" commentary that happens on rctech's various sections.
If you think you could offer something to it and might enjoy it, please go to www.12thscaleracer.com and get involved.
The admin is a guy named Ben. I'm sure he'd welcome you and appreciate some feedback.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:28 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by JamesL_71
I don't know who this "Wiita" guy is, but he is making a lot of sense.
I know who this James guy is and I remember him saying he wouldn't mind a spec tire at birds
Old 02-13-2014, 07:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris Adams
I know who this James guy is and I remember him saying he wouldn't mind a spec tire at birds
Lol... Busted A bit tongue-in-cheek, although at the time I probably would have been fine with it. Anything to stop the hemorrhaging at that race...
Old 02-13-2014, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

I also had tire issues at the Snowbirds.

I couldn't run my normal tire combo. The pink rears were fuzzing up even after the track came in.

I had to switch to blues all around and with my normal setup my car was flipping off the track. It took till the main to make the car drive able. And it still sucked but at least I wasn't in the way.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JamesL_71
I don't know who this "Wiita" guy is……..
he is RAGNAR!!!!! he is wise and all knowing.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:35 AM
Tech Elite

What about rubber tires for 1/12??

Last edited by Rick Hohwart; 02-13-2014 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Just trying to keep it interesting
Old 02-13-2014, 08:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
I like that idea.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

The part that makes 12th tires expensive isn't the compound choices but rather the idea of one-run tires. Unless you also place a limit on the number of sets, ala sedan, this will end up being similarly expensive.

There are a lot of compound options out there, as Wiita covered, but I think most people are pretty stuck in what they use. As such, what makes it expensive is truing new tires down to 38.5-39 mm and running them once, no? Maybe this part is a 'given' in this discussion, but figured I would mention it anyway.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:09 AM
Tech Regular

Rick, You should be banned for making that statement

Keep in mind that if we went spec, most tires MFG's have agreements not to sell the GT Spec tires below a certain price. This helps keep it fair. No more team deals, that’s what makes spec a spec class. I have 100 pair of GT spec tires for 1/12 and haven’t sold any yet. I think this is because we all know this doesn’t solve the problem.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

Old 02-13-2014, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Interesting question. I run both rubber sedan and 1/12th at the club level and an occassional regional race. At the club level people still go through foams pretty quickly mainly due to truing a lot off to begin with and the nature of foam wearing fairly quickly. In rubber tire sedan where the tire doesn't wear down in diameter to being unusable I see people, myself included using tires that are probably well past their best performance, often only changing to a new set when a tire fails. From a manufacturer standpoint I'd be fairly resistant to the thought of moving to a 1/12th tire that could be used for multiple races. I don't see how they could adequately price the tire to make up for the lost volume of foam tires without quickly exceeding the average racer's price threshold. My sedan tires run around $30 for a set of four and about $22 for a set of four foams. What would a rubber 1/12th tire set have to be priced at to make up the volume lost on foam sales?
Old 02-13-2014, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Something,

Something,

Dead Horse
Old 02-13-2014, 10:33 AM
Tech Master

Yokomo GT500

Kawada M300GT

It's a cheap racing class with scale bodies on them in Japan.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

Can I ask WHY this is such a no no to talk about ? It seems a similar situation to what F1 went through. They were always foam and now it seems rubber is almost the standard. The worst part of foams has already been mentioned. They just don't last very long. I run on asphalt. It sure would be nice to have a set of tires that lasted more than a weekend.
So what's the REAL answer ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.