R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-14-2014, 06:02 AM   #46
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWARD2003 View Post
To keep away from the whole idea of using spec tires. Why not continue with running what ever tire you choose, but set a minimum trued tire diameter i.e 42.5 front and 43.5 rear for qualifying. This would eliminate "one run" tire issues and would extend the longevity of the tire for another heat(s)/main(s).
All racers are allowed to bring 3 full sets of an agreed upon tire diameter.
Now, once the racer has used a set in their qualifying heat or practice, the tires will be marked. This mark indicates that the tires can be trued down to a smaller diameter of their choosing or on an agreed diameter.

The idea here is to control the starting diameter which allows racers to get in a few more runs off of a set of new tires. This should help in reducing costs and still keep the class competitive for the mains.
This will make it even more expensive. Everyone turns up with three new sets of tyres, runs them then can true them down below the starting minimum for the rest of the meeting. You now have three sets of tyres that can't be used at the next big race using these rules and you have to buy new tyres.
With no minimum diameter rule it's up to you how far you true them down and how long you use the tyres.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:39 AM   #47
Tech Fanatic

Unless every track in the US is using a different carpet, then there should be no need for a spec tyre. Here in the UK we have a company that supplies carpet to all the clubs, and clubs will buy the same carpet for consistency. It means that any 1/12th racer will need all of two or three different tyres to race everywhere, and quite often changing tyres is entirely down to rising grip levels as the big meeting goes on not because we need one tyre for one club and another tyre for a different track. we all have our own personal 'spec tyres' as we run the same tyres everywhere.

A lot of the problem is drivers attitude to racing. For regular club meets start with new tyres and run them until they get small enough to run at big meetings, then keep them for that. If your attitude to racing is that you must true them down so much they become one or two run tyres to get the tiniest bit of performance out of them, then it will always be expensive no matter what restrictions are placed on you.

As for rubber tyres, if you won't run foams unless they have been trued down as the car is not quite as fast with some little bit bigger diameter tyres on it, then you will hate rubber. What is it with drivers having no interest in a car unless it's on rubber tyres?

Rubber tyres on F1s sort of work, but they are running mild motors and on carpet they are horrible to drive compared to foam tyres with lap times being 10-20% slower with the best rubber tyres. The class is full of scale F1 fans and is too small for racing to get seriously competitive. Run a 1/12th with no tyre additive to give you an idea what F1 type rubbers would be like.

Get 1/12th onto rubbers and once the manufacturers started making competition tyres you would be back to one run tyres again just like touring cars, that's why touring cars have to run spec preglued tyres at big meetings. Even just limiting the number of tyres used doesn't work as I know drivers who used to spend 2-300 on tyres/wheels/inserts in practice before a meeting to find the right combination for their 'limited' two sets of tyres.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:01 AM   #48
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL_71 View Post
I don't know who this "Wiita" guy is, but he is making a lot of sense.
Lol. Try telling that to my wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by al dente View Post
he is RAGNAR!!!!! he is wise and all knowing.
sometimes... but mostly that's not the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Adams View Post
I know who this James guy is and I remember him saying he wouldn't mind a spec tire at birds
I remember James yelling this same thing!!! They say you always speak the truth when your angry. We know what James wants....
Old 02-14-2014, 07:22 AM   #49
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
I'm just thinking outside the box here. So, don't bust my balls on this idea.

To keep away from the whole idea of using spec tires. Why not continue with running what ever tire you choose, but set a minimum trued tire diameter i.e 42.5 front and 43.5 rear for qualifying. This would eliminate "one run" tire issues and would extend the longevity of the tire for another heat(s)/main(s).

Heres the idea in a little more detail.

All racers are allowed to bring 3 full sets of an agreed upon tire diameter. Example 42.5 front and 43.5 rear. Now, from my understanding, the first couple heats the carpet is still relatively "green". So running slightly larger diameter tires shouldn't cause serious traction rolling issues.

The racer must use all 3 sets of their minimum trued tires in their respective heats. One set can be used for practice, and that "practice set" can only be reused again in their 2nd qualifying heat.

Now, once the racer has used a set in their qualifying heat or practice, the tires will be marked. This mark indicates that the tires can be trued down to a smaller diameter of their choosing or on an agreed diameter.

The idea here is to control the starting diameter which allows racers to get in a few more runs off of a set of new tires. This should help in reducing costs and still keep the class competitive for the mains.
And I'd suppose that you'd volunteer to take on the responsibility of marking and tracking everyone's tires to assure all racers were complying with the rules? Racers wouldn't enjoy such an exhaustive inspection process, especially during larger events. I'd rather spend the time I'd stand in line going through tech working on my car. There's far too much work involved here, and you're asking racers to use tires that won't perform nearly as well as tires cut to a smaller size...

For club races (which is what we're doing most of the time), you could cut your tires slightly larger to extend tire life if you want. However, if I were attending a big race, I'd fully expect to cut my tires to a "one run" diameter if that's what I felt was necessary to compete.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:55 PM   #50
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I'm just thinking outside the box here. So, don't bust my balls on this idea.

Heres the idea in a little more detail.

All racers are allowed to bring 3 full sets of an agreed upon tire diameter. Example 42.5 front and 43.5 rear. Now, from my understanding, the first couple heats the carpet is still relatively "green". So running slightly larger diameter tires shouldn't cause serious traction rolling issues.

The racer must use all 3 sets of their minimum trued tires in their respective heats. One set can be used for practice, and that "practice set" can only be reused again in their 2nd qualifying heat.

+1 to oeoeo327. For every good idea anyone ones up with, ask yourself if you would stay all day in tech to police it, and if it can policed by checking ten cars in eight minutes. And don't forget that you also have to check all the performance-related items too - width, motors, cells, 'blinky' speedo, etc. Can you do all that in 50 seconds per car? And will you sit there doing it all day? If the answer to either is no, please think again.

Why this fixation with spec tyres for LMP12? I have two compounds in my box for each end and have never failed to find a combo that works at every meeting I go to. If at one track you want to help drivers, pick the compound that works and only allow that.

I can't imagine how long the class would last if people and to go a meeting only to find the spec tyre doesn't work and they have to drive an animal of a car all day.

If it was such a good idea with so many people clamouring for it, someone would have done it by now!
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote