R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Travelling with R/C Gear to the US (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/7924-travelling-r-c-gear-us.html)

ROBORAT 09-10-2002 07:43 PM

Travelling with R/C Gear to the US

i'll be flying to the U.S. this friday (Sept 13) and was wondering how difficult it would be to bring in my gear. My port of entry will be New York and since my arrival will be so close to 9/11 memorial day (just a few days after), i am expecting that the security at the airports will be very very tight! so i was wondering if id be hassled if i bring in my gear -- i mean with all the electronics, the batt packs, and a "gun type" controler, will i be faced with some stiffer security checks or maybe even have some gear confiscated (like the batts)??? i may be over reacting here but its my first time to bring my gear with me and i dont know what to expect. Just thought of asking you guys in case any of you have had to travel experience with your stuff to and from the US. any ideas and tips?

futureal 09-10-2002 07:51 PM

I would definitely contact the airline beforehand and explain to them what you'll be bringing with you, and ask them what kind of potential delays/trouble to expect.

acloco 09-10-2002 09:34 PM

Pack it all for checked luggage......or.....send it via postal/fed ex/ups before hand.

Geetoo 09-11-2002 09:37 PM

Roborat: We left for Bangkok last year with our r/cstuff just right after 9/11 had happend maybe 2 weeks after. It will not be much of a hassle as long as you put your stuff at the right place. Although i think you must prepare a list or inventory of ur stuff and try to put all sharp objects, uncharged-batts & controller in your check-in luggage. You may also handcarry your car if you wish, at least it looks safe enough for everyone seeing its a toy. I dont really know how "code-orange" works in the U.S. hope you enjoy your trip. Then dont forget to shave, it helps. :D

ROBORAT 09-13-2002 04:55 AM

Geetoo: actually you've already heard yesterday about my trip being postponed. dang! but thanks for the suggestion. actually, i got a good tip from Todd Hodge of Team Trinity/Losi which others might consider in future trips:

- pack your stuff where it is easy to access and easy to repack (if they do make you open up your stuff). thing is some people try to hide there stuff coz they're scared of it being discovered when actually there's nothing to hide ... its a toy right?:D

- just dont pack aerosol cans. (motor spray, paint, etc)

- bring a magazine so if they do start asking what the stuff is, you can show them pictures of them in the mag. (best tip i got)

- he packs his TX in his hand carry and it has never been mistaken for an "uzi" or anything like that! hehehehe ... in fact, he's never had to open up his carry on luggage so far.

pretty good tips and he should know since he does this all the time. if i may say so myself. ;)

Boomer 09-13-2002 08:33 AM

Those are also the advice I have heard - although the magazine one is new to me, but sounds like a really good idea!

Great thread! :D

Geetoo 09-13-2002 09:14 AM

Robo: Yep well said. That's a good idea bringing a magazine upon check-in. Thanks for the info.

;)