R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-10-2014, 04:55 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Thumbs up How to glue F1 tires onto rims for Tamiya F104v2

I couldn't find much info on this subject so decided to make a video of how to do it. I recently picked up some Pit Shimizu tires for my Tamiya F104v2 F1 car, along with some Tamiya wheels. The glue process was not that difficult, but a little tricky!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

http://youtube.com/c/jmetznet | * YouTube Race Videos, Build videos, and more *
justinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:08 PM   #2
Tech Champion

I find if I just glue the tires on like that they start to peel off pretty quickly due to the mold release compound in the rubber of the tire and the plastic of the rim. I tried sanding them, cleaning them with dish soap, scrubbing them with SOS pads, nothing seemed to work. Until I started using engine degreaser! Ever since I started using that to clean the surfaces prior to gluing I haven't had the glue let go yet...not only that but the rims no longer cut into the sidewalls of the tires.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:26 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
I find if I just glue the tires on like that they start to peel off pretty quickly due to the mold release compound in the rubber of the tire and the plastic of the rim. I tried sanding them, cleaning them with dish soap, scrubbing them with SOS pads, nothing seemed to work. Until I started using engine degreaser! Ever since I started using that to clean the surfaces prior to gluing I haven't had the glue let go yet...not only that but the rims no longer cut into the sidewalls of the tires.
That is a good idea, I will have to see how these tires work out with the current glue job.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:18 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Great how to video! I also added a film of glue along the edges of the wheels and tires to keep them much more secured.
gtfour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:11 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

When I put my tires together, I used black tire glue to attach them to the rims and then used clear to touch up the seam to the rim once the black glue cured. I usually let the tires cure for 24 hours before using them.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:12 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinco View Post
I couldn't find much info on this subject so decided to make a video of how to do it. I recently picked up some Pit Shimizu tires for my Tamiya F104v2 F1 car, along with some Tamiya wheels. The glue process was not that difficult, but a little tricky!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Did you check youtube before posting your video? Rob King, (RCF1blog) has a complete how to video for gluing the tires up.
Rick Vessell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:25 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfour93 View Post
Great how to video! I also added a film of glue along the edges of the wheels and tires to keep them much more secured.
Indeed, I did that as well but I think I forgot to add that to the video, oops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Vessell View Post
Did you check youtube before posting your video? Rob King, (RCF1blog) has a complete how to video for gluing the tires up.
I did, but apparently my search did not find his videos, I got a bunch of off-road and traxxas tire glue videos. I did find his just now however, after searching under his name. So, now there are a few F1 tire glue videos out there

Old 04-01-2014, 09:56 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Questions??

This may be a stupid question by why aren't the inserts glued to the ID of the tire. The front tires have the foam glued, why would you not do this on the rear as well? I'm new to RC F1 racing and i have not run rubber until a got the F1 car. All my past experience is with foam tires.

Thanks.
nissan man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:17 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan man View Post
This may be a stupid question by why aren't the inserts glued to the ID of the tire. The front tires have the foam glued, why would you not do this on the rear as well? I'm new to RC F1 racing and i have not run rubber until a got the F1 car. All my past experience is with foam tires.

Thanks.
The front inserts are not glued to the tire, they are free floating inside, just like the rears. The insert is what gives the tire its inflated effect or stiffness. Different inserts can change the way the tire behaves, more so in offroad applications compared to onroad however.

If you glue the inserts into the tire it adds weight (while just a tiny bit) and can throw the wheel out of balance. Some people also re-use inserts in new tires, so that is another reason.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:31 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Thanks for the clarification. I figured it was there to act as a belt of sorts to manage the deflection of the tire. If it is there strictly to support the rubber only under compression loading it makes sense.
nissan man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:54 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Make sure you glue the ends of the rear inserts together
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:07 AM   #12
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan man View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I figured it was there to act as a belt of sorts to manage the deflection of the tire. If it is there strictly to support the rubber only under compression loading it makes sense.
Sure no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydewynder View Post
Make sure you glue the ends of the rear inserts together
Good tip, think I forgot to do that on my last set, doh