Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Vintage Matt Francis XXX-S Losi >

Vintage Matt Francis XXX-S Losi

Vintage Matt Francis XXX-S Losi

Old 12-03-2013, 08:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Vintage Matt Francis XXX-S Losi

So, I've got a vintage XXX-S Losi with all the red Matt Francis/Trinity parts. It's never been raced, the guy i bought it from said he drove it down his driveway, turned around and put it n the shelf! It really is brand new! I'm wondering if someone can tell me what its worth. I would really like to take it to the local RC carpet track and race it, but im not sure...
Old 12-03-2013, 09:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evan Adams
So, I've got a vintage XXX-S Losi with all the red Matt Francis/Trinity parts. It's never been raced, the guy i bought it from said he drove it down his driveway, turned around and put it n the shelf! It really is brand new! I'm wondering if someone can tell me what its worth. I would really like to take it to the local RC carpet track and race it, but im not sure...
Is the belt usable, or is it old and brittle? And does it have the MF spur adapter?

Assuming it fits that description, You could probably get around 110-130 for it complete. Best money would come from selling it in stock condition then parting the MF stuff out separately. It's one of my favorites, and would be a good first car to run.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Smile Vintage Losi

The XXXS is a great vintage chassis, it just suffers from lack of replacables especially drive belts which seem to be extinct. If yours is as truly clean as you've described, perhaps it should be displayed to preserve the belt. Ahhh the red and black XXXS was a sight to behold.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I got 2 friends with the Losi XXX-S rc cars. Thinking about buying them both and leaving them as is for shelf queens.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Its an awesome car! I race one on our parking lot track it has a distinctive sound under power that trips the guys out when I hit the front straight, and can keep up with the best of our group when I do my part.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

As a fellow xxxs guy...congrats !!! Belts are no longer a huge issue. A fellow rctech member has found suitable replacements. The Spur adaptor will definitely make life easier. Don't be afraid to run it but I wouldn't blame you if it ends up on a shelf. It was ahead of it's time for sure.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:27 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rctrackman
As a fellow xxxs guy...congrats !!! Belts are no longer a huge issue. A fellow rctech member has found suitable replacements. The Spur adaptor will definitely make life easier. Don't be afraid to run it but I wouldn't blame you if it ends up on a shelf. It was ahead of it's time for sure.
This is wonderful news, hopefully you will be able to share with us ?
Old 01-29-2014, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Amazing car. Loved it. When the aftermarket shock towers and Tamiya shocks it was a beast.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigfatslob
This is wonderful news, hopefully you will be able to share with us ?
Sorry, should've posted this with my comment.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...l#post12738239
Old 01-29-2014, 05:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Thumbs up

+1 on the new belts,I've been using one of these for awhile and it shows no wear at all. Follow the instructions provided and the work great and last very long.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:39 PM
Tech Regular

Where do you guys find replacement parts for the XXX-S??

I remember back in 2003 that some of the TC3 parts would work on the losi and same the other way around. My TC3 was dubbed the Losociated because most of the front end had losi caster blocks, steering knuckles.

Really thinking about getting my buddies Losi XXX-S off him now.

Ebay has a lot of parts available now. A few years ago there was virtually nothing available.

Last edited by AudioStylz; 01-29-2014 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Ebay is still the best place. Other xxxs drivers are pretty helpful too. It's all about keeping the car running. Josh, the same guy who arranged the replacement belts, is also looking into getting some plastic arms made. Personally, the plastic arms were a much better choice for most racing. The carbon arms were just to fragile for the average parking lot race or any track with hard borders. They just don't take a side load very well. Just my opinion of course
Old 01-30-2014, 08:09 PM
Tech Adept

We have been on a rebuilding quest for the past year for my eldest son's XXXS. He had a RTR non graphite model, we've picked up alot of graphite parts, in fact everything except the tub, S.S. screwz set , multiple diff sets. We even modified acouple of XXX4 tensioning arms to run the XXX4 belts ( we bought two dozen XXX4 belts ) when there were no XXXS belts. With the revelations in this post, we bought some of Josh's belts, just bought a roller XXXS G+ and found nearly all the red anodized alum. parts and screws. Today we bought a RED 5.5T motor and ESC, Red heat sink w/ two fans, all red alum shocks & springs, and a few more tasty red bits. He'll probably have it all together in four to six weeks. We'll post it in the appropriate thread when done. This is like rebuilding a '55 Chevy.

Last edited by bigfatslob; 01-30-2014 at 08:12 PM. Reason: misspelled words & added some.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:19 PM
Tech Regular

No word from my friend yet but if I were to get his Losi it would probably be ran on the track once in a blue moon just to see what technology of 2004 was all about. It's virtually bone stock and setup for Stock Rubber of 2004 with brushed motor and speed control.

Really getting setup owning a Losi XXXs is basically the same as owning and running a TC3 but the difference here is, the track I race at carries the essential replacement parts while they don't have anything for the xxxs.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 128 (100%+)

I've got several (3-4) of these cars for sale currently. I love the way the center belt drives. I'm just trying to thin out my fleet. I've got a total of 7 or 8 cars and probalby enough parts to build 2 more.
Let me know if interested.
Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.