R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-06-2005, 09:03 PM   #16
Tech Adept

Hello Hick, there are certain combinations that work and give you the best possible lap time. Some tracks are very smooth, high traction with little tire wear and racers usually true their tires down to the optimal size. Certain tracks wear out tire very quickly and in those situations, you need to have thicker tires.
RickyIS300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 01:56 AM   #17
Tech Adept

What determines the optimal tire size... because of tire wear you will always be gearing to adjust the rollout.

Other than true a tire for squareness and/or a stagger adjustment? Why throw away part of the tire?
Hick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 09:53 AM   #18
drx
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to drx

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow15
I've got one of those.

It doesn't work too bad, but..........

-The bearings on the arbor shaft don't last.
-If you have to true a new set down to lets say 60mm, don't be in a hurry. Doesn't cut very fast.
-This truer is better suited to light dressing of foams between runs.
-It's not real accurate - it's tough to get all 4 tires the same if you're starting out from 64mm. Not impossible but you have to take your time and bey very carefull.
-It's VERY messy. Spreads foam dust all to hell and gone.

Actually I'm saving my scheckles for a better unit.
drx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 10:10 AM   #19
jrp
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I have owned or used just about all of them. Most work OK, but if you want a truer that will be with you a long time, get a Hudy. Absolutely no comparison in quality of machine.
jrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 10:13 AM   #20
drx
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to drx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick
What determines the optimal tire size... because of tire wear you will always be gearing to adjust the rollout.

Other than true a tire for squareness and/or a stagger adjustment? Why throw away part of the tire?
Optimal is usually something like 60mm or less.

You can run foams larger, but you run some risks.

The foam can shift/deform ounder side loads. This can make for inconsistent handling.

More foam = more chunking. Chunks of foam can break off the wheel due to side-bite, or collision with barriers etc. The fatter the tire the bigger the chunks. This can affect traction, and can be very frustrating if you just shelled out 40 bucks or more for new foams.

As I understand it, many pros like to run their foams around 55-56mm, but then they are often sponsored and can change tires for each run. Most people I know start around 60mm and will use them until they get used up around 55mm.
drx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 12:54 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

If you plan on racing foams, then I would think that any tire truer will work. Even if you're gonna race occationally, its best to get a tire truer that fits your budget. I have a friend that has a old school tire truer made from Cobra and it lookes like its 15 years old, but he gets his tires trued for his cars. There was a bunch of people that looked into our pit at one race, and a bunch of racers were cracking jokes at his tire truer . I said to the clowns, " HEY, at least he has a tire truer and it looks like he out qualified most of your guys anyway !!! " My buddy ended up winning the A-main. The guys after the race came over and apoligized to my buddy later on.

So, my point is to get a tire truer what works for you. You don't need all those bells and whistles that some tire truers come with. The integy tire truer is a good basic model that won't hurt your wallet. My basic rule of thumb, if you're gonna race with foams, then you'll need a tire truer ( whatever it may be ). Goodluck.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote