R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-29-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default Should we be concerned about HPI/HB?

It seems over the last 6 months to a year HPI has been in what appears to be an ever deepening downward spiral. I know they recently released a new 1/8 buggy, but other than that they have been performing way under par. Their 1/10 off road buggy is still not available, they havn't updated the TCXX in forever, and parts support is sketchy at best. Thats one of the reasons USGT made the move to a different tire. I am sure VTA would be in a similar spot if there was another option out there. Am I alone with this line of thought or am I crazy? I would hate to see such an iconinc company become just another memory in the arcives of rc history.

On a side note it would be great if a company... say Proline... were to get back into the on-road tire/rim game.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:13 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Apparently there has been an update to the TCXX...

http://www.area52.cc/news/4592-toyfa...ot-bodies.html
RobS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:21 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Well thay shoots one thing down, but lets see when it actually gets to market and if it will have reliable parts support.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:26 PM   #4
Tech Adept

I don't know if it is the supply chain but VTA tires in the last 6 months have been a nightmare. Some pretty long periods of out of stock and I've noticed a big difference in tire grip and rubber "age" between different orders. It may be the distributor pulling out old tires from the back corner of the warehouse, hard to say.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:50 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Isn't HPI owned by Great Planes now ??
rctrackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:24 PM   #6
Tech Regular

im more concerned why HPI havnt listened to andy moore and looked at his car

why is the layshaft mount area still touching the top deck, andy modded his car to stop that, not sure whats new about the motor mount either but oh well
PurcyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:45 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Just took a close look at it myself. HB seems to be the only company that isnt doing a floating layshaft. Hmmm. I have had some HB products in the past and thought they had great stuff, but even looking at this "update" it seems that it is just bandaid on a outdated design.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:58 PM   #8
Tech Master

Thought I should add this to the mix too if people missed it:

http://www.redrc.net/2014/01/masayuk...hpi-part-ways/

Seems they have issues keeping people on board. Ever since Hobbico took over, things look dismay.
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:00 PM   #9
Tech Elite

I saw that too. Part of why I started this thread, I just forgot to add it in.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:42 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurcyP View Post
im more concerned why HPI havnt listened to andy moore and looked at his car

why is the layshaft mount area still touching the top deck, andy modded his car to stop that, not sure whats new about the motor mount either but oh well
I was really hoping the new motor mount would incorporate a new layshaft mount. The shocks are nice, but nothing major. That motor mount looks like the TCX mount.

Wonder what Andy will have for the Worlds later this year?
ShaunMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:40 PM   #11
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

HPI/HB being mismanaged at least the past 6-7 years.

They were probably honestly at their peak in the late 90s and early 2000s. HPI had a dominant nitro touring car lineup (in sales). Had a competitive electric touring car, the Pro 2. HPI Savage was a hot seller for them also. Then a lot of junk started coming out after that with the only real shining star being the HPI Baja and HB D8. And a few okay selling touring cars from HB (Cyclone, original TCX).

Lot of poor business decisions by being late to the short course bandwagon. They were so late on their Blitz while the Slash and SC10 enjoyed a ton of success. This, along with a 4x4 1/10 SCT project could have made them some big money. Now their lineup is mostly half assed attempts. And the current hot cars, are not really supported with parts availability. Combined with product launch delays, etc. Its really killing them.

Sorry, going on a rant. I was there for the glory days of HPI and its sad to see them headed down this route due to poor business decisions.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:42 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Seems like they've been on a downward spiral since around the time that Hobbico bought them. Not too sure about the history of HB/HPI (somewhat new to RC), but it seems like they are way behind basically everyone else on designs/technology/innovation at this point, and they've been discontinuing parts like crazy with no new/updated parts to replace them. My personal feelings are that they've given up on new designs/products and are just "floating" with what they have now. Now this probably isn't true, but that's the feeling I get from their apparent lack of concern about offering current designs/parts.
wareagle84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:46 PM   #13
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I've heard from a source who had someone working at HB (and had since left) that they basically decided that selling kits was profitable and parts wasn't making them money. Basically HPI/HB may not have wanted to deal with parts distribution. Unfortunately this is a catch 22 since you ultimately end up with frustrated customers and lose future business.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:54 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

wow this is dissapointing to say the least. ive been in rc for 23 years. hpi used to have the market. now they dont. i really would like to see somebody take the vta tire and wheel combos and run with it. since vta is a popular class around here. and seems to be around the nation. wouldbe a big dissapointment if we lose hpi and those vta tire/wheel combos. guess ide better stock up now.
dragonracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:01 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Coming from working in a hobby shop for several years this seems counter intuitive. Parts are alot more profitable than kits. Parts generally sell at retail whike kits sell at a discount.