R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-29-2014, 07:28 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I've heard from a source who had someone working at HB (and had since left) that they basically decided that selling kits was profitable and parts wasn't making them money. Basically HPI/HB may not have wanted to deal with parts distribution. Unfortunately this is a catch 22 since you ultimately end up with frustrated customers and lose future business.
Maybe for RTR hobby grade gear but not race grade kits.
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:45 PM   #17
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
Coming from working in a hobby shop for several years this seems counter intuitive. Parts are alot more profitable than kits. Parts generally sell at retail whike kits sell at a discount.
Yup, I don't understand why they would go that route, but maybe thats why they are in the hole right now.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:54 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

There's a terrible lack of planning somewhere there....they finished the D2 design, showed it at RC shows, then didn't release it.

The CR8 looked like it was very close to release, then disappears.

Just 2 examples of them doing the years work and r&d then never generating revenue!
Old 01-30-2014, 06:24 AM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I don't know why everyone gets it wrong. Hobbico did not buy HPI. Hobbico became the sole distributor for HPI instead of HPI doing it themselves, which was where they were loosing money.
http://www.hpiracing.com/en/article/view/2013021901

As far as why the parts supply hasn't picked up yet, unsure on that.

Carolinas R/C Track Directory - https://sites.google.com/site/carolinasrctracklocator/
DarthRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:34 AM   #20
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRacer View Post
I don't know why everyone gets it wrong. Hobbico did not buy HPI. Hobbico became the sole distributor for HPI instead of HPI doing it themselves, which was where they were loosing money.
http://www.hpiracing.com/en/article/view/2013021901

As far as why the parts supply hasn't picked up yet, unsure on that.
It is a business partnership. They will not tell you the whole story anyway
Whatever it is, several prominent people left around this transition. Alton, Robbers, Hara, now Miura. Where there is smoke, there is fire.
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:45 AM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Aside from employees that might lose jobs I could not care less about the future of HPI. Nothing is more discouraging than buying a product from a supposed reputable company and not having any support. This does the hobby no favors and there are plenty of other companies both new and old that manage to get it right. If they can't figure it out then good riddance.
Chaz955i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:57 PM   #22
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to JiuHaWong

HPI/HB lost me as a customer just after the TCX came out. I think they lost their mojo about a decade ago (Pro-4 era).
Old 01-30-2014, 01:05 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

The pro 4 was great. I just sold off 2 of them. I just felt I had gotten all I could out of them performance wise. But it shows they were great cars ahead of their time because until this recent shock tower update they have had the same suspension geometry since the pro 4. But that could also show how lacking and/or lazy they have been in the r&d department.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:31 PM   #24
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
Coming from working in a hobby shop for several years this seems counter intuitive. Parts are alot more profitable than kits. Parts generally sell at retail whike kits sell at a discount.
I can make sense of it. The manufactuer makes the profit on the kit where the hobby shop's margin on the kit is thin. The hobby shop makes a higher % margin on parts. Main reason the shop sells the kits is to encourage people to get into the hobby.
Fast Little Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:41 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

They've certainly discontinued quite a few really good products. The baja 5b flux springs to mind as one of them!!
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent Viper 988 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.1, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:46 AM   #26
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
They've certainly discontinued quite a few really good products. The baja 5b flux springs to mind as one of them!!
that's what Im saying. they've been discontinuing lots of parts lately, and lots of them are/were good, useful parts people want/need.
wareagle84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:33 PM   #27
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hmmm, a major distributor that also sells retail thus competing against every dealer account they have and we're wondering not only WHO is impacting product availability but WHY ?? These distributors couldn't care less about niche markets. They're aim is to supply and control WORLD markets. Things that might seem large to us here in the US are relatively small on the world market. You wonder why VTA items are thin....think world market. You wonder why 12th scale has great availability...think world market. Niche market items will suffer. Though US based, these companies can no longer rely on the US market to support them. Thanks Mr.Obama and company. We in the rc hobby are truly enjoying the devaluation of the US Dollar.
rctrackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #28
Tech Regular

Meh. I still buy their cars and they still take great care of me when something goes wrong. Until that changes, I'm not worried.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:33 PM   #29
Tech Rookie

In my opinion, I think HPI are moving away from racing cars and concentrating on RTR cars. Thats where the money is!
I have heard off a few people within the racing scene that they say thats where the money. Not much to be made off us touring car racers

I have been a loyal HPI racer since 2006. I have bought a few cyclones, 2 TCX and 2 TCXX. Up until mid 2013, I felt that the racing scene is not supported much here in the UK. The race team used to be huge, one of the biggest at a national TC event, now seems like one of the smallest

I was informed that the update package was meant to be ready to release around June/July '13. It seems like 1yr too late in my opinion

In HPI's defence, if you speak to anyone who works/drives for HPI, they are very passionate and helpful. I have had the pleasure of speaking to Andy Moore, Stefan Chodzynski and Hiroyuki Kazuya. They are very helpful and car about the car and the racers.
Every one of them have personally helped me, Hiro even gave me some different roll bar mounts to use (I still use them, they are brilliant. Thank you very much!)

I really hope they continue development and support us touring car racers

VBC Wildfire D06 13.5 tarmac boosted & 17.5 carpet blinky

Vampire- Exotek- Lunsford- RDRP- Team SR- Hiro Seiko
TC Travis is offline   Reply With Quote