R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-27-2014, 04:24 PM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

In the interest of honoring the title of your thread, are we to only discuss the use of the three bodies listed? If not, I'm no stranger to stepping outside of the Protoform kingdom. One body that I've only tried for a few weeks that I think can also be fairly promising is the HotBodies Impreza Type C. I like a car that I can throw around when the time comes. I found the Impreza Type C to respond very well to this method of attack. I actually preferred it's off-power steering to that of the P37. Unfortunately, it's on the thin side so it started to tear fairly quickly. The biggest issue with this particular body has been availability. I've watched over the last few months as it went from being expected mid-October at TowerHobbies to the currently listed "mid-February." I have my doubts that it'll return soon.

When traction really comes up and I need something that drives easy, I've been using a Blitz XFR (EFRA 4028). It's not really meant for carpet and the amount of downforce that it creates can overheat the tires, but it's almost boring in its predictability. Too bad I just can't get it to turn laps as fast as the LTC-R.

I'm getting ready to mount up a Bittydesigns Nardo. It more than held its own atop Kutvonen's Awesomatix at the DHI race so it's showing potential, at least in the hands of good drivers and excellent handling cars. I believe that it's supposed to be in the process of gaining ROAR approval.
Colbynobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:33 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

The P37 is massively underrated. I always have a Speed6, LTC and P37 when I go to the track and run the P37 probably 98% of the time. I only race carpet. My home track is 66x35 and the other tracks I have visited recently are 96x40 and 60x60. I've had a good amount of layouts to run on from small technical tracks to fast sweeping tracks and the P37 works well on them all. It definitely has more steering then the Speed6, but not quite as much as the LTC. I find the LTC isn't as planted in the rear as the P37 is, so it's a good compromise between the two. Mind you this is using the same setup on the car using all 3 bodies.
RobS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:54 PM   #18
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
The P37 is massively underrated. I always have a Speed6, LTC and P37 when I go to the track and run the P37 probably 98% of the time. I only race carpet. My home track is 66x35 and the other tracks I have visited recently are 96x40 and 60x60. I've had a good amount of layouts to run on from small technical tracks to fast sweeping tracks and the P37 works well on them all. It definitely has more steering then the Speed6, but not quite as much as the LTC. I find the LTC isn't as planted in the rear as the P37 is, so it's a good compromise between the two. Mind you this is using the same setup on the car using all 3 bodies.
"Massively Underrated" is a good statement as I'm the only one at the two local tracks that has the P37. The majority, run the SPEED6 or the LTC-R but most swear on the SPEED6. After my experience with these three bodies, especially coming off the 4 week run on the LTC-R straight to the P37 on of a whim, my results was night and day on the first run since I've learned the new T4. Also I have spoke to a few local guys and most of them haven't even tried the P37 and say the SPEED6 is better?

I can't and don't really have an argument or can safely judge the Mazda body as I haven't even gave it a fair shot (the one I tried wasn't mine and wasn't a light weight). But I must say I did like the feel of the SPEED6 much better than the LTC-R. So here soon I will be checking out the hype and getting the SPEED6 and another P37 and trying out both bodies (new bodies) same day, same tires and set-up. But as of now the LTC-R is dead on my end.
NEED-MORE-SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:53 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

You're making me want to try the p37 again.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:06 PM   #20
Tech Regular

I'm a P37-R fanboy, so I'll be waiting to hear the results of your comparison.

Did you make any setup changes to your T4 when you went from the LTC-R to the P37? We're in the process of transitioning from the Jaco Blues to the Sweep QTS32s at my track, so I must admit that I try to adopt a setup which allows me to run both. Again, I need to commit!

I've never been able to get the Mazdaspeed6 to turn with the same level of energy as the P37. Then again, I've never tried mounting the Mazdaspeed6 in an aggressive, forward position. Have you given any thought towards throwing a Protoform Mazda GX into the mix? I'm still waiting for more user reviews to come in regarding that body. Maybe people are waiting for the outdoor season before really using those?
Old 01-27-2014, 07:55 PM   #21
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbynobo View Post

Did you make any setup changes to your T4 when you went from the LTC-R to the P37? We're in the process of transitioning from the Jaco Blues to the Sweep QTS32s at my track, so I must admit that I try to adopt a setup which allows me to run both. Again, I need to commit!

I've never been able to get the Mazdaspeed6 to turn with the same level of energy as the P37. Then again, I've never tried mounting the Mazdaspeed6 in an aggressive, forward position. Have you given any thought towards throwing a Protoform Mazda GX into the mix? I'm still waiting for more user reviews to come in regarding that body. Maybe people are waiting for the outdoor season before really using those?
I made only one change to my entire set-up from the LTC-R to the P37. I found the only way to achieve good corner speed with the LTC-R is running 2.5 rear-toe. The P37 didn't appreciate 2.5 rear-toe so I went to 3 degrees on the P37 and surprisingly I gained a more balanced car and faster corner speed, car didn't feel on the edge.

To be honest I didn't have any issues running the same set-up at first but noticed once the tires got to temp about 2 minutes in, the car was just a tic edgy but was very controllable. Going to 3 rear-toe made the car 100% in my book

Never considered trying the new Mazda body. There are two local guys that any given race day, you never count out for a TQ or a win for that matter and they both tried it, both bodies are sitting on the shelf collecting dust.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:20 PM   #22
Tech Addict

I believe that you mentioned you ran jaco blues right? Well jaco blues like 3.0 deg toe
rc car guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:33 PM   #23
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc car guy View Post
I believe that you mentioned you ran jaco blues right? Well jaco blues like 3.0 deg toe
Yes, the Jaco Blue is my tire of choice. However since there has been somewhat of a shortage on the Jaco Blue's, the only tire that's available "for me anyway" at the two local tracks are the Sweep 32's. I do have several sets of both and run both depending on track condition (traction) and or which track I go to (one track likes the Jaco's and the other likes the Sweeps) per my driving and set-up. But regarding rear-toe I usually like running 2.5 and only went to 3 degrees due to that's what the car liked running the P37. Maybe it was a combination of both, P37 and the Jaco's
Old 01-27-2014, 08:54 PM   #24
Tech Adept

Quote:

Colbynobo

I noticed you live in Boulder, Co???? I plan on making it to the (mile high indoor champ race) in April at 5280 Raceway. This isn't a definite but I do plan on committing and buying a round trip ticket within the next month.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:49 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Heck yeah, Need-More-Speed, you should seriously consider joining us for the Mile High Indoor Championship race at 5280 Raceway. I may be biased in saying this, but it's a great facility and a great bunch of racers. I've lived in Boulder for a long time, so I also have a lot of great things to say about the entire Front Range area in Colorado. We have a bit of something for everyone: a cool and compact city, laid-back people and stunning nature. Our track is top-notch and quite bright so you should have absolutely no problem seeing your P37, LTC-R or Mazdaspeed6 as it powers through the corners!

Spring is a pleasure to behold around here. Now, if it would only stop snowing right now so I can get down to the track and test out my P37 with 3.0 rear toe....
Old 01-27-2014, 10:51 PM   #26
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc car guy View Post
Okay, so I need to give this a shot. How long have you been running this on your TC6.2?
Old 01-28-2014, 08:10 AM   #27
Tech Adept

Quote:
Okay, so I need to give this a shot. How long have you been running this on your TC6.2?
I have heard great things about CO, Boulder Co. at that.... Two of my life long friends have moved to Boulder from Cincinnati and have nothing but great things to say about the place. They have been asking me to come over so they can give me the grand tour, I think this would be a nice way to kill two birds here lol. And yes I will be bringing some P37's with me

I'm sure this matters but not certain what chassis you run? But I run the 2014 Xray T4, not the 6.2

But to give you the breakdown how I found the P37. (long story short)

I just got into on-road carpet racing late December 2012, lets say Jan. 2013 and started with the TC6 - P37 body "trashed it in 2 weeks" (not knowing how a body can affect handling). Then got the VBC Wildfire, then the Serpent ERYX 2.0, then the TC6.1 Worlds. All those other cars I ran the LTC-R "still never recognized how a body can make a huge affect on car handling". One year in my on-road racing, a fellow racer let me drive his 2014 T4 for a few laps. Later that week I got me one and the only "light weight" body at the local hobby shop was the P37, however I wanted the LTC-R or the SPEED6, not the P37 so I had to settle for what was available. I drove the car for about a week with the P37 then got the LTC-R and ran that for almost 5 weeks. Well after 5 weeks learning the T4, understanding what the car likes and finding "that set-up", keep in mind every weekend I got faster with the car. This past weekend I decided to try the P37 I bought with the kit 5 weeks ago, at that point it was like I hit the BULLSEYE, I magically picked up an additional lap and backed it up with a faster run while the car was super easy to drive and didn't disappoint in any way.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:11 AM   #28
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEED-MORE-SPEED View Post
I have heard great things about CO, Boulder Co. at that.... Two of my life long friends have moved to Boulder from Cincinnati and have nothing but great things to say about the place. They have been asking me to come over so they can give me the grand tour, I think this would be a nice way to kill two birds here lol. And yes I will be bringing some P37's with me

I'm sure this matters but not certain what chassis you run? But I run the 2014 Xray T4, not the 6.2

But to give you the breakdown how I found the P37. (long story short)

I just got into on-road carpet racing late December 2012, lets say Jan. 2013 and started with the TC6 - P37 body "trashed it in 2 weeks" (not knowing how a body can affect handling). Then got the VBC Wildfire, then the Serpent ERYX 2.0, then the TC6.1 Worlds. All those other cars I ran the LTC-R "still never recognized how a body can make a huge affect on car handling". One year in my on-road racing, a fellow racer let me drive his 2014 T4 for a few laps. Later that week I got me one and the only "light weight" body at the local hobby shop was the P37, however I wanted the LTC-R or the SPEED6, not the P37 so I had to settle for what was available. I drove the car for about a week with the P37 then got the LTC-R and ran that for almost 5 weeks. Well after 5 weeks learning the T4, understanding what the car likes and finding "that set-up", keep in mind every weekend I got faster with the car. This past weekend I decided to try the P37 I bought with the kit 5 weeks ago, at that point it was like I hit the BULLSEYE, I magically picked up an additional lap and backed it up with a faster run while the car was super easy to drive and didn't disappoint in any way.
I've spent a bit of time in the TC6.2 forum, so I knew that RC Car Guy has a TC6.2. I was directing a question at him.

I've actually been lurking in various vehicle forums over the last few weeks because I was in the market for a new car. I've only been in the on road world since last August. I purchased two, used Xray T3s and that's what I've been running with. I was advised to start running with the Mazdaspeed6. However, a guy at the track was selling a nicely painted P37 so I decided to give that one a try. It worked out much better for me. Unfortunately, it stoked a flame inside me which led me to start wondering about just about every other body out there. I now have a storage container full of bodies that sits by my pit at the track. I love testing different bodies, but I have to admit that it's really proving to be a distraction. For example, at a club race a few weeks ago I ran a Mazdaspeed6 for the one qualifier, then a Blitz XFR for another, and then the P37. I put the LTC-R on after that race and have been trying to run it consistently ever since.

Last week I pulled the trigger on a Yokomo BD7 2014 Black series. It hasn't arrived yet, but I'm anticipating that it's comparatively more aggressive steering will probably mean I'll need to use a more calm body. Since the P37 is kind of darty I fear that it won't work well with this car. I also wonder whether the LTC-R will be too aggressive. I haven't purchased another Mazdaspeed6 because I have a couple of BittyDesigns bodies I need to test first. If that doesn't go well, then I see another Mazdaspeed6 in my future. Based on what you and others have said about the Mazda GX I'll stay away from that one.

Your friends from Ohio made a good choice. I spend a lot of time at the track running my RC cars, but my first love is still bicycle riding. Boulder is a mecca for cyclists so it works out really well for me. Plus, I'm pretty fitness crazy so being around like minded people makes me feel.....a little less crazy.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:07 PM   #29
Tech Addict

Quote:
A few months why do you ask?

Oh u should habe waited guy at the track is .3 slower with his bd-7 black than his t4 14 which he had for obe track day n a practice day the 6.2 needs some work a tjicker chassis or weave something to make it flex less but im right on par with his t4 dont mean to hi jack his thread pm me if you got any more questions

Last edited by rc car guy; 01-28-2014 at 12:21 PM. Reason: el
rc car guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:52 PM   #30
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am sure the p37 & ltc are good bodies with the right setup, but my choice is the Speed6 because of the more feedback I get from top racers... Most of their posted setups are really for the Speed6. Trying other bodies is not something racers like too much....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote