Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Panasonic ULTRA METAL or SANYO HV is better ? >

Panasonic ULTRA METAL or SANYO HV is better ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Panasonic ULTRA METAL or SANYO HV is better ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 04:28 PM
Tech Initiate

I love both I've had good luck with both packs...For offroad I live the hv's alot more. But for stock touring I personally didn' t think there was a very big gap. But I did get some really good packs and the numbers were really close.
Old 09-11-2002, 05:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Panasonics for me,ive got the HV ,they seem to be o.k for run time but there not nearly has much punch has i get from the Panasonics,I also have a mate that sells/matches HV's and he said to me that there crap..??..
Old 09-11-2002, 07:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

UMH's for me the HV's have to be charged higher to get any voltage/power out of them, this to me tells me they are no good. Any battery will be fast if you put a high enough charge in it. Plus the HV's are heavier and can throw the balance of the car off if you switch between the two kinds of batteries. And finally I think the UMH's look cooler
Old 09-12-2002, 07:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Unless you need batteries now, you might want to wait for the 3300s. Jeff at ProMatch says they will be better than SMHs or UMHs for stock anyway.
Old 09-12-2002, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I agree with Kevin. I know his racing and he does his homework My only question is do the umh loose runtime like the smh did/do I run 1/12 and cannot afford new batteries every month because they loose 20 seconds of runtime. For stock touring it is no big deal but for 1/12 it huge.

Later
Jesse
Old 09-12-2002, 03:37 PM
Tech Champion

KingzJ....I have been racing UMH's all summer in stock and mod TC and they have only lost 20 sec of runtime and the voltage has increased. It all depends on how you take care of the cells the UMH cell does not like to be charged hard and put on a tray to discharge. If you charge them at 5 to 5.5 at 02 cut off on a T30 and discharge to 5.40v they are fine. I have yet to run the 3300's but I just got a pack and all I can say is mega runtime and ok voltage and higher but not as high as HV's IR. If the IR of the 3300's will always be this high I cant see them being better then UMH's. The UMH's are about 15 to 17 on the IR and the 3300's that I have seen are 20 to 22 so this seems to be a little high and HV's are higher yet like 22 to 24. I belive that you want the lowest IR and most voltage for stock you dont need anymore runtime, now for mod thats another story.
Old 09-12-2002, 03:43 PM
Tech Champion

Opps forgot that the UMH's are way better as far as life span then the SMH's. I did not like the SMH's that much they lost a lot of runtime fast no matter what I did and this is not the case with the UMH's. I would not feel scared about buying them as long as you take care of them and dont put them on a tray to discharge.
Old 09-12-2002, 03:49 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks Kevin, I have been trying to get good and reliable advise for a while everyone is telling me something different. I will try the umh for the stock touring car for sure. I am curious about those 3300 for 1/12 might be good but who knows. Be seeing you soon summer is almost over I'm gona have to put my 1/8 buggy away for the winter

Later
Jesse
Old 09-12-2002, 07:03 PM
Tech Champion

No prob man....yeah the indoor season is here.....finally. You can still race that 1/8th scaler at the track in joliet they race indoors in the winter.
Old 09-12-2002, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Ya I know but that is like a 2 hour drive for me. I will go their from time to time but for now its onroad!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-12-2002, 08:16 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by KINGZJ
Ya I know but that is like a 2 hour drive for me. I will go their from time to time but for now its onroad!!!!!!!!!!
I need to go to trackside on the weekends.

Onroad is where it's all at imho.

-Troy
Old 09-13-2002, 12:16 AM
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

Interesting findings.

I found exactly the same with SMH. They are great when new. They keep their power well, but they loose so much run time. OK for stock but a problem for modified.

I know my Sanyo HVs are newer but they give me so much more run time.

I haven't tried UMH yet, and we are not allowed to use 3300, so what are the differences between UMH and HV for mod, in terms of run time, voltage and IR.

Perhaps someone can give me comparisons of both.

thanks and regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 09-13-2002, 12:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

This is what I have to contribute:
I have had all these batteries except for the new 3300GP ( just ordered some though) and my UMH have the same voltage and IR that you can get from your HV's or SMH, the deciding factor is that I have a LOT more runtime with my Ultra Metals than with my SMH or HV, these cells are great and they stay very strong. At our track we regularly run 9x2 mod motors in 5 minute qualifiers and races with no dumping or going flat whatsoever just Squeeze, Squeeze, Squeeze!
Old 09-13-2002, 07:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Selling my new UHM pack in for sale forum.
Old 09-13-2002, 02:15 PM
Tech Master

smh vs Umh

Johnbull, I spoke about this comparison with a matcher. He was saying that the very best of the batch are about the same. However there seems to be a lot more of these good cells, and therefor the umh cells that are seen on the street will probably be better than the smh on the street.

Personaly i think HV's go off far too soon after they are new. I heard 10 cycles from one matcher.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.