Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Is Stock Sedan Under Siege? (Shaft vs Belt) >

Is Stock Sedan Under Siege? (Shaft vs Belt)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Stock Sedan Under Siege? (Shaft vs Belt)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 05:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Cyrul showed me the floating front gear box, and that alone I thought was quite the innovation. To see how it absorbs the torque steer and allows the chassis not to bow from the torque. When I saw it I thought,"Holy Crap! We are all going back to shaft." It may not really play out that way, but thats what I thought.
Just saw it in action on youtube. I must have one, just for the sheer level of innovation. I was talking to a friend who got me into the hobby 14 years ago about this the other day. The touring car, as we all know it, has not drastically changed from ~2000 till this car. Sure, there has been continuous evolution of the same concepts, but when you really look at it, we're still at the same layout/configuration as we were then. The only other car to really shake up the mold was the JRXS.

I love the FFG. It is an excellent engineering solution to a problem that plagued great cars like the TC3 as horsepower went up. What I like most about the A700 is the suspension design. I can't wait for further evolution in this area. To be honest I am surprised we don't see third springs from 1/12th center shocks or similar, pull-rod actuated suspension (to keep CG low vs push-rod), etc.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Michael@USPN
Video Link?
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:31 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

unfortunately Monti is blocking everyone's favorite corner on the track. you miss seeing the marshal (our track owner) nearly step on Larry's car -- note the rebok print...

Old 02-05-2014, 01:33 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

i had a great race for 6m w/ Sal Amato.... i just wish Larry didn't run up on us at the end. last thing i wanted to do was wreck Larry...
Old 02-05-2014, 01:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hanulec
unfortunately Monti is blocking everyone's favorite corner on the track. you miss seeing the marshal (our track owner) nearly step on Larry's car -- note the rebok print...
Got that covered Mike Had another camera on the other corner, just need to process the movies
Old 02-05-2014, 02:53 PM
Tech Master

$700+ for the Awesomatix kit. Ouch. Does it make a latte too?
Old 02-05-2014, 04:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JiuHaWong
$700+ for the Awesomatix kit. Ouch. Does it make a latte too?
Nope but it comes with Great support, DCJ type axles and the lack of needing springs or shock oil. If you havent seen the car in person take a look at how many machined and carbon parts are on the car. Lot's in the box for your $700.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I run a FT TC4 and love it. I'm getting faster. but I got to touch......NO Fondle the A700 at the LSRCC New Years Rumble and wow what a car. I could have pet it for quite some time.

If I had the coin that would me the car for me. The guy had it in shaft mode and had the floating front gearbox but it was not installed yet.

Very sweet
Old 02-06-2014, 05:57 AM
Tech Master

Russian Missle wins USVTA @ the birds

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
I don't think it is a secret that shaft is better than belt in terms of efficiency but at some point the chassis could no longer keep up with the increasing power output created by motors and ESCs.

It seems that Awesomatix has been able to solve this problem with good solid engineering.
+1 on this.

Also earlier in this thread was the topic of CG. Do I think a shaft car is better than a belt car?... maybe, but there is more to it with this car. I ask people when comparing the 2 types of cars to take the body posts off of a belt drive car and AMX. With no wheels on set them both on the table. From the bottom of the chassis up the majority of the AMX car is in the first 12mm. This is due to the damper design. This is more of the answer to mid corner and exit speed than the shaft drive.

There was also something said about the AMX not having high enough CG to create body roll for rotation. I would rather have the lowest CG period. The AMX changes directions on power quicker than any belt car at our track. But it has nothing to do with the fact of the other car being a belt drive. Its because of the amount of chassis setting options for flex and how the AMX chassis is designed.

More on topic for this thread.
Take the pinion off a belt car and the AMX. With the wheels and tires on spin the drive train. Who spins longer and free'er? There is you're efficiency test in your hands and its easy to see.

Beyond the fact that I'm newly working for Oleg at Awesomatix, it makes me have a little bias of course. It has been said in this thread a few times now and is still true..... Driving skill trumps all. I'm a way low on the skill side. B main king for sure. But a couple guys in our club that are in the chase for our season points switched from a T4 to Evo and are even faster than before. Shaft efficiency?.. yes, but more to do with the complete design of the entire package.

Great thread, Syn!
Old 02-09-2014, 02:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Efficiency for mod doesn't mean much as there is power to spare in most cases and the difference for the lower power classes is less important.

As to the spin the wheels with no motor this is not as clear cut as 'there is your efficiency'. As speed increases belts become more efficient and shaft less efficient even though shaft is still overall more efficient but compared with cars 15 years ago the difference today is minimal.

AMX suspension is awesome engineering, best in the market but possibly too good for the average racer whom seem to prefer crappy blocks rather than infinite adjust ability...
Old 02-09-2014, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Styles
+1 on this.

Also earlier in this thread was the topic of CG. Do I think a shaft car is better than a belt car?... maybe, but there is more to it with this car. I ask people when comparing the 2 types of cars to take the body posts off of a belt drive car and AMX. With no wheels on set them both on the table. From the bottom of the chassis up the majority of the AMX car is in the first 12mm. This is due to the damper design. This is more of the answer to mid corner and exit speed than the shaft drive.

There was also something said about the AMX not having high enough CG to create body roll for rotation. I would rather have the lowest CG period. The AMX changes directions on power quicker than any belt car at our track. But it has nothing to do with the fact of the other car being a belt drive. Its because of the amount of chassis setting options for flex and how the AMX chassis is designed.
Lower CG is always better. To get a large enough roll moment (i.e. the force coupling between the CG and the roll center) one must simply lower the roll center.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Bump!

Old 03-02-2014, 04:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The thread just needs one little edit in the title: "Is Sedan Under Siege? (Shaft vs. Belt)
Old 03-03-2014, 08:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (60%+)

This is why i left Tc racing...$700 tc. If we all need a 700 car to win the hell bring back foam tires also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.