Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-25-2014, 09:04 AM   #46
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
It would rock to have that depth of local talent for club racing
Thanks for the post
It's definitely awesome to watch, makes it hard to be competitive on the top tier, but keeps you constantly pushing and getting better. Also makes it possible to have a lot of help around, especially if you're less experienced.

I've seen a considerable difference in the a700 cars and how fast guys are. Gee and Karl were both very fast with other cars, but locally (MD, PA, NJ, OH) they seem to have increased ability to win after switching from their old rides to the new ones. I also have seen this from other guys from Horsham and MRH that have gotten the cars to work. Not always an advantage, but definitely can be. Running my car in VTA the other night after not having run for about a month, I noticed a huge difference in the pull mid-out of the corners and in that class, it's super advantageous as well. And before you so, you're racing a $1,000 touring car in VTA..... its an original model, so it's actually older than most guys running T4's in VTA.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:49 PM   #47
Tech Regular

Love all the experts on a car they don't own.
HawaiiBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:57 PM   #48
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

I knew shaft was faster than belt from day one... All I need is time to practice with my tc4.1 , and the belt cars won't stand a chance....
PS: Mike Gee & Co. are not running the new 3.5gram Carbon shaft, and no ceramic Bearings, so the A700 can still go much faster...just sayin...lol....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:35 PM   #49
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The idea of this thread is odd to me, let me explain in a slightly lengthy monologue:

"Stock" has ALWAYS been under siege. Back in the days of brushed motors and even during silver cans stock was under siege, I (a somewhat younger dude) have enjoyed hours of old-time stories about messing with brushed motors, blatant cheating, funny batteries and all that garbage, and all of it was in stock or limited motor classes because you didn't need to cheat in Mod.

In more recent days, such things as the Trinity D3.5 was considered "stock under siege." As is the constant rotation of slightly better legal motors from all different manufacturers, as are the battery wars we sit in the thick of to the tune of $100 dollars a pack (this is a bargain, FOUR cells of the top-of-the-best 3200 NiMH batteries were $120 in 2004 money, and could only be used once a day), but you get the picture. Stock is made to be 'under siege'.

One thing (JUST MY OPINION PLEASE DON'T HURT ME) that I think could help stock racing innovation would be removing or greatly decreasing the weight limit. Guys are running 7500+ milli-amp hour batteries in stock to make weight as much as make voltage, including me. I once ran two qualifiers and the main on one pack just to see if it could do it, and it could! BUT with the weight limit removed I could probably field a touring car that would make 15 minutes of run time at 900 grams or less. This battle for weight-savings is cheaper and easier than fighting for volts and timing, and pays dividends for innovators.

The Awesomatix car is just a great car, but it's not unbeatable.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:34 AM   #50
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiBob View Post
Love all the experts on a car they don't own.
"Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer."

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:07 PM   #51
Tech Addict

After 3 Rounds of Qualifying Mod TC, Super Stock TC, Stock TC and VTA at the Snowbirds all have Belt Cars in the TQ Positions. The Awesomatix Cars are doing very well but are not dominating. There are lots of great TC Chassis choices out there. Makes it very interesting.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:42 PM   #52
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post

One thing (JUST MY OPINION PLEASE DON'T HURT ME) that I think could help stock racing innovation would be removing or greatly decreasing the weight limit. Guys are running 7500+ milli-amp hour batteries in stock to make weight as much as make voltage, including me. I once ran two qualifiers and the main on one pack just to see if it could do it, and it could! BUT with the weight limit removed I could probably field a touring car that would make 15 minutes of run time at 900 grams or less. This battle for weight-savings is cheaper and easier than fighting for volts and timing, and pays dividends for innovators.
I tend to agree with this, although the current weights do possibly allow the casual racer to run their old car, heavy batteries, and regular weight body without having to spend extra dough on the new hotness. That could possibly be another side of the argument.

RC Excitement: Fitchburg, MA | RC Madness: Enfield, CT | Horsham RC
samnelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:46 PM   #53
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliotCanada View Post
After 3 Rounds of Qualifying Mod TC, Super Stock TC, Stock TC and VTA at the Snowbirds all have Belt Cars in the TQ Positions. The Awesomatix Cars are doing very well but are not dominating. There are lots of great TC Chassis choices out there. Makes it very interesting.
The problem is im not there to help them

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnelso View Post
I tend to agree with this, although the current weights do possibly allow the casual racer to run their old car, heavy batteries, and regular weight body without having to spend extra dough on the new hotness. That could possibly be another side of the argument.
We run the big packs pretty much only for the lack of voltage drop off. Lots of mod guys "battery down" to 6000's to make L/R balance easier since they dont need HP.

A 900g TC would fall apart if you looked at a board wrong. You would struggle to get even a car like the awesomatix under 1200 using current electronics. You could make the battery smaller, but you give up speed to do it.

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/Tekin/Sweep Racing/RSD/180 Raceway/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid/Sanwa
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:17 PM   #54
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnelso View Post
TC has entered the ice age of evolution. Get rid of the archaic battery size limit and allow for shorty specifications. I don't know why we have to be haunted by technological specs from the 70/80s. Then we will start to see interesting and innovative cars.
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:46 PM   #55
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbones View Post
TC has entered the ice age of evolution. Get rid of the archaic battery size limit and allow for shorty specifications. I don't know why we have to be haunted by technological specs from the 70/80s. Then we will start to see interesting and innovative cars.
Shorty packs are perfectly legal in TC's. There are many different shapes of roar approved packs actually (shorty packs, saddle packs, reedy's new "square" pack). The problem is, on a large track, say like Full Throttle track where the worlds is or many tracks in Europe, a shorty pack at current capacities (4400-4600ish) wont make runtime in mod. A 6000 for 5 minutes is probably pretty close on a track like that. You might see guys who normally run 6000s run bigger packs to be safe. You need more fore sure for a ROAR 6 min race.

Awesomatix Evo not interesting or innovative enough for you? Look at TCs from 10 years ago, like a T1FK'04 or the TRF414. They have changed a lot compared to a T4'14 or a TRF418. There are a lot of changes year to year. Just because the layout hasnt changed much doesnt mean there isnt a lot of innovation going on.

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/Tekin/Sweep Racing/RSD/180 Raceway/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid/Sanwa
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:01 PM   #56
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Most of the manufacturers have converged on a single design because it works, has won many races and I think every worlds. It's a smart decision that will sell a lot of kits.

It typically takes a disruptive technology to change up the status quo. I think the Awesomatix design could easily lead us down that path. But, as 'birds has shown, lots of different cars are competitive in the right hands.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:04 PM   #57
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeunit1014 View Post
Shorty packs are perfectly legal in TC's.
But under the current rules the chassi cannot be optimised to make use of shorty packs or any other configuration.

If the cars were lighter they would use higher turn motors, have faster lap times and make run time with 5000mAh shorty packs.

syn if that was true it would have happened 5 years ago when the Awesomatix was released.
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:40 AM   #58
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Shaft drive went away in tc racing as horsepower went up and tires got more grip. torque steer just became to much of a pain to tune out without goofy setups or a crazy redesign and belts had proven themselves so manufacturers went with belt drive. Awsomatix decided on engineering a new mouse trap so to speak and made an awesome car that eliminated the huge drawback to a shaft car but at a huge cost and r&d time that the big companies arent willing to invest yet. Also if theres not a huge consumer base for it it wont happen and as long as belt cars keep winning and selling they will keep making them
gooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:53 AM   #59
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Thread is open for business.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:53 PM   #60
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

After this weekend I'd say Xray will remain open for bidness...

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote