R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-04-2014, 08:26 PM   #121
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elee32 View Post
Those are some brave turn marshals!
yeah, come Sunday, my shift begins.. might have to wear some work boots Will be cool seeing the best in the biz going at it.

Powered by Hotwings, Rolling Rock, and the urge to race toy cars...
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #122
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

[QUOTE=smokinu;13158988]to me thats part of racing.

it is a double edged sward.[/QUOTE
true
But thats the rule
As a track owner regardless of driver expereince the less chaos we can control the drivers get to enjoy racing with passing lanes
Big enough for a quad
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:47 PM   #123
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiBob View Post
It goes back even further, back to the days we hand counted and could only use the 10 keys available. Off road has gone to larger fields when the track would allow. On road should follow suit when the track has the space for more. Heck, we ran 20 car mains on the velodrome back in the early 90's. 12 or 14 should be easy on a track that size.
Yeah, I remember those days. There times when we barely had enough entries for turn marshals and lap counters.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:12 PM   #124
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMartinez View Post
Do the math 13 to 14 sec laps alot can happen when there is to many cars on the track
1 car stuffing it can cause a 4 car pile up
I've seen many times that with a good group, there is a rule of thumb that you can have 1 car for every second the laptime is, rounded down. So if you had 8.3 avg laps, you'd only put 8 cars in the main. This theoretically allows for close to a 1 sec gap between cars and helps with keeping people on the same lap for longer and thus tends to make better racing. Looks like at this event, you're looking at around 14 seconds, so potentially a 13 or 14 car main.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:43 PM   #125
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I was able to make qualifying today and glad I did!

Tires didn't seem to be a problem while i was there. 6 tire blowouts out of a couple thousand isn't bad at all especially when cranking those mod RPM's on a 190' driving line. One guy actually had two bad ones so who knows whats going on with those.

George and Greg thanks for the great hospitality!

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rui1...20Pre%20Worlds
nitrobeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:59 PM   #126
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Let me give you guys a brief little update from the track.

The event has been top notch. George and his crew are doing a standout job in order to get everything done just right and right on schedule.

The environment is really laid back and there is tons of tracktime available. The layout is fun and very challenging. I don't think there has been a single issue with tech, race management or anything of the like.

Volker has no competition, really. The man is on another level, and the track conditions suit his driving style better than anyone here. He is by far the smoothest guy here and with the hot conditions and soft, inconsistent tires, the key is to NEVER overdrive your car.

On the tires... What can I say.
1.There have been 5 blowouts that I know of. 3 were mine and 2 were Hayatos. We are pitting next to each other which makes it really funny. No more blowouts since we made our cars slower down the straight :P
2.The tire Consistency from set to set leaves a lot to be desired. There is a lot of rumblings in the pits about this. There seems to be too many bad tires. We all have different theories of what it could be, but there is no consistent trait to it. There are 2 different types of wheels within the checked in race tire and I think there might be 2 slightly different variations of compound mixed in as well. Something is different.

Personally I have bought 16 sets (7 for open practice and 9 for quals and mains, there are triples for every main), of which I have used 10 so far. Out of those 10, 3 are good, with which I can run a 14.5 sec laps when used and 7 sets (yes, 7!!!) that are so terrible that a perfect lap for me is a 15.0-15.1 when new. So far there is no easy way to differentiate them. Unfortunately I did not figure out the tire thing until today after the first 3 rounds were done. In the quals, I ran a new set every run. Rd.1 I had the good tires. Rd.2 & 3. I had the bad ones. For myself, this has meant chasing set up all week trying to get forward bite out of the car, only to get it when you get a good set of tires and disappear completely the next run.

For the 4th qual, I will once again be hoping that the new set I get is a good one, and if so, I will probaly run it in rd 5 & 6. This is because the good tires are still about 2-3 tenths faster when new, but when used, even after drop off are still faster than the bad tires when new. There is a chance though that im my remaining 6 sets, there might not be a single good set. Or they could all be good tires. Let's hope for the latter.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:00 PM   #127
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

You have to watch this video of the Mod TC's going down the back straight. Turn up the volume on your PC and hear the "swoosh".

Worlds Warm-Up Back Stretch Part 1:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=448438288623567

Worlds Warm-Up Back Stretch Part 2:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=448439258623470
Old 04-04-2014, 10:05 PM   #128
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
Let me give you guys a brief little update from the track.

The event has been top notch. George and his crew are doing a standout job in order to get everything done just right and right on schedule.

The environment is really laid back and there is tons of tracktime available. The layout is fun and very challenging. I don't think there has been a single issue with tech, race management or anything of the like.

Volker has no competition, really. The man is on another level, and the track conditions suit his driving style better than anyone here. He is by far the smoothest guy here and with the hot conditions and soft, inconsistent tires, the key is to NEVER overdrive your car.

On the tires... What can I say.
1.There have been 5 blowouts that I know of. 3 were mine and 2 were Hayatos. We are pitting next to each other which makes it really funny. No more blowouts since we made our cars slower down the straight :P
2.The tire Consistency from set to set leaves a lot to be desired. There is a lot of rumblings in the pits about this. There seems to be too many bad tires. We all have different theories of what it could be, but there is no consistent trait to it. There are 2 different types of wheels within the checked in race tire and I think there might be 2 slightly different variations of compound mixed in as well. Something is different.

Personally I have bought 16 sets (7 for open practice and 9 for quals and mains, there are triples for every main), of which I have used 10 so far. Out of those 10, 3 are good, with which I can run a 14.5 sec laps when used and 7 sets (yes, 7!!!) that are so terrible that a perfect lap for me is a 15.0-15.1 when new. So far there is no easy way to differentiate them. Unfortunately I did not figure out the tire thing until today after the first 3 rounds were done. In the quals, I ran a new set every run. Rd.1 I had the good tires. Rd.2 & 3. I had the bad ones. For myself, this has meant chasing set up all week trying to get forward bite out of the car, only to get it when you get a good set of tires and disappear completely the next run.

For the 4th qual, I will once again be hoping that the new set I get is a good one, and if so, I will probaly run it in rd 5 & 6. This is because the good tires are still about 2-3 tenths faster when new, but when used, even after drop off are still faster than the bad tires when new. There is a chance though that im my remaining 6 sets, there might not be a single good set. Or they could all be good tires. Let's hope for the latter.

Sounds Horrible. Thanks for the insight though. When the one thing that is supposed to be a control is the biggest most important variable it makes the whole thing kind of stupid.

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:11 PM   #129
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Very disappointing to hear about the tire situation. Sounds similar to what people experienced at carpet nats. Spec tires in general have been really problematic these past few months.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:14 PM   #130
Tech Elite

Yes, I had one guy even say to me "it's the same for everyone", but that's just it. It isn't. It is completely random, some guy might get all good tires. Someone will get all bad.

It was funny first qual, Josh Cyrul and I are in the same heat. I can run him down and pretty much pull away from everyone in our heat not getting a single clean lap. End up finishing second after a flip cost me like 10 seconds.

Second heat I tune my car and make some changes to make the car have more steering. I was thinking. Oh, these guys are gonna get it! Josh, Sean Cochran and Jeff Brown proceed to pull away and make me look like this is my first time ever driving a mod car. I am trying so hard. If I even overpower by a tiny bit, my car does a 360. Josh even says "damn! My car finally came in while on the drivers stand while i spin out in front of him and ruin his and my run.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:22 PM   #131
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Very disappointing to hear about the tire situation. Sounds similar to what people experienced at carpet nats. Spec tires in general have been really problematic these past few months.
Tires are hard to keep consistent, batch to batch because so many different elements can affect a production batch. Even making them on a different day can change them. We used to have that happen when We used to race Mini-z and we ran "cheaper manufacturing process" tires. There tires were never the same batch to batch. They started marking the date they were manufactured and people would search out the specific production batches that were better. In order to keep down the headaches, I always ran the slightly more expensive tires because while they were not the fastest always, they were always the same and on pace.

Personally I like premium tires as a spec tire. At my track we run Sorex 28 for that reason.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:56 PM   #132
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrobeast View Post

Tires didn't seem to be a problem while i was there. 6 tire blowouts out of a couple thousand isn't bad at all especially when cranking those mod RPM's on a 190' driving line. One guy actually had two bad ones so who knows whats going on with those.

Great pics - keep them coming. Looks like most of the guys chose LTCR.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:11 AM   #133
Bar
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sorex tyres all the way, by far the most consistent tyres from set to set, they are also consistently glued well
Old 04-05-2014, 07:05 AM   #134
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kwikvdub
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrobeast View Post

Thanks Rui!!...... The pics and closeup shots are outstanding!!..... Have fun Bro!

TQRacing / 360 v2 RC Raceway / Team Downgrade Designs
Kwikvdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:47 AM   #135
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar View Post
Sorex tyres all the way, by far the most consistent tyres from set to set, they are also consistently glued well
Agreed. Why not use the best at the Worlds? I get it, what we say doesn't really matter to what is choosen but I am very put off by many of the big outdoor races having tire issues. Two years ago they used Sorex at worlds and I dont believe they had any major tire issues other than the no tire prep rule which meant a few warmup laps were required.