R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-26-2014, 08:16 PM   #166
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliotCanada View Post
Martin, I signed up as well as posted the information on the Ontario forum for Lou's Speedway. See you in Welland at the Nationals in about 17 days.

John
hey John,...yeah I saw your registration come through! Thanks for posting on the Ontario Forum for Lou's Speedway. I am trying to get my Outlaw Tomestone (which is the CSO v2 car) ready to hopefully practice this weekend to see how much rust has accumulated in my driving abilities. See you in welland at the Canadians Nats. Cheers. M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeadman View Post
Thanks Martin, Great job. I'm running it on android and it looks great
Awesome! Glad to see you running an Android device. The way I built the app it will run on anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_K View Post
Hey Martin,

Maybe I missed it. But is your "Learnsetup.com" going to replace your setupworkbench app?

Regards Robert
I will not be updating the setupworkbench app going forward. Instead all updates will be done within the LearnSetup.com web based app.

Here are the benefits of switching to a web based app
a) I can provide updates on a more frequent basis
b) Works on any device, IOS, Android, Blackbery, Mac OSX, Windows, Linux, Windows Phone etc.
c) 1 subscription and you can access from all your devices.

Also with LearnSetup.com you can search for setups as well as share your own (or keep them private if you wish)

Cheers.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:29 AM   #167
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Martin,

Got a question for you. On the Serpent S411, the way they mount the steering link on the servo horn, if you remember, they have you install a pivot ball in the top hole. Then you use the steering link or rod in a plastic piece that kind of lowers the link to a lower position. My question is, when he servo swings back and forth, is the steering (speed) or arc, effectively following the higher or lower hole?

I am racing my Eryx in an Enduro and sometimes that joint pops off so I was thinking of eliminating it for the race.

Thanks,
Steve
Fasttrax Racing Series / NORA On Road Series
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:00 AM   #168
Tech Elite

I'm not Martin, but the link is the same as a straight one, the length between the pivot balls doesn't change as the link moves, the kink is just for clearance.

The ARC has a similar setup and I know that their parts are extremely durable so you might want to consider swapping.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:07 AM   #169
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Just signed up to the new website. Looks good and looking forward to putting it to good use! I also have the setup workbench app which was brilliant. Thanks for your amazing work Martin - keep it up!
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent Viper 988 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.1, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:38 AM   #170
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just sent in my sign up for Learn Setup! Thanks Martin for a great resource.
Dukes2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:09 PM   #171
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallyman View Post
Martin,

Got a question for you. On the Serpent S411, the way they mount the steering link on the servo horn, if you remember, they have you install a pivot ball in the top hole. Then you use the steering link or rod in a plastic piece that kind of lowers the link to a lower position. My question is, when he servo swings back and forth, is the steering (speed) or arc, effectively following the higher or lower hole?

I am racing my Eryx in an Enduro and sometimes that joint pops off so I was thinking of eliminating it for the race.

Thanks,
Steve
Hey Steve - Sorry...having a hard time understanding what you are asking me. Email a picture of what you are talking about. Point out in the picture what are you asking me to comment on. my email address is mcrisp at learnsetup.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
Just signed up to the new website. Looks good and looking forward to putting it to good use! I also have the setup workbench app which was brilliant. Thanks for your amazing work Martin - keep it up!
Thanks Dan! 38 people have signed up so far since Monday this week! I hope this grows so more people can share setups. I was thinking of adding a feature to allow people to post questions and answers about specific setups. I was also thinking of building an integration with facebook so you can share your setups in someway through facebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukes2004 View Post
Just sent in my sign up for Learn Setup! Thanks Martin for a great resource.
Thank you !!!

Here is my feature list I am trying to knock down so far...
  • update profile
  • allow people to comment / have a conversation on a setup
  • setup q&a section
  • share a setup on facebook
  • Calc FDR in setup page based on entered pinion, spur and internal ratio
  • Add Field for FDR to setups
  • Add field for gear oil to setups
  • Add field for vertical diff position to setups
  • Add field for Piston size - separate from Oil & Piston field : in setups
  • Add rebound field to setups
  • add piston diam field to setups
  • add steering knuckle hole to setups
  • Add picture of the car to the setup
  • Get weather base on geo location
  • GEO Location added when the setup is created.
  • update traction roll section with content from thread
  • Add section on chassis stiffness
  • Update / clarify the slip angle section
Old 02-27-2014, 01:32 PM   #172
Tech Initiate

Thanks Martin. This app is the ticket. Awsome!
NitroApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:54 AM   #173
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Martin, I thought I would post traction rolling issue here instead of other thread again. Your suggestions from last time helped to tame the issue, but it was still there, so I started tinkering. I bekievenI found the issue to be from the car pole vaulting on itself. When I stiffend the springs, it made issue worse. So I am going back to my base set-up that I started with after ylu initial tips. But I have a couple questions on path to take.

I am going from 2 hole to 3 hole pistons to decress pack, I know I need to increase shock oil weight , but how much. I was thinking going 5 up on weight from and rear.

I realized the car has a considerable amount of turn in bump steer, I plan on removing that. Is that a good idea? I think it will help reduce ackerman, something you suggested before, but I havent tried yet.

My rear is set to the widest position. It is considerably wider than the front. I did this during the build to help to decrease traction rolling. Now I am thinking it may contribute as it might be giving the front to much bite. So the question is should I narrow the rear, or widen the front so that the track widths are closer together?

Last one, diff fluid wieght. My car has more than enough initail turn in (I think that this contributes to the rolling problem), would putting thicker fluid in the diff help slow that, or in any way help with rolling by keeping more power on the outside rear tire?
Thanks in advance for the help
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:50 AM   #174
Tech Elite

Anyone?
Old 03-18-2014, 05:01 AM   #175
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would increase the front track width and remove the bump steer.

Shock oil I would go by feel, build one new shock and compare to the old shock. starting with similar low speed resistance.
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:31 AM   #176
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
Martin, I thought I would post traction rolling issue here instead of other thread again. Your suggestions from last time helped to tame the issue, but it was still there, so I started tinkering. I bekievenI found the issue to be from the car pole vaulting on itself. When I stiffend the springs, it made issue worse. So I am going back to my base set-up that I started with after ylu initial tips. But I have a couple questions on path to take.

I am going from 2 hole to 3 hole pistons to decress pack, I know I need to increase shock oil weight , but how much. I was thinking going 5 up on weight from and rear.

I realized the car has a considerable amount of turn in bump steer, I plan on removing that. Is that a good idea? I think it will help reduce ackerman, something you suggested before, but I havent tried yet.

My rear is set to the widest position. It is considerably wider than the front. I did this during the build to help to decrease traction rolling. Now I am thinking it may contribute as it might be giving the front to much bite. So the question is should I narrow the rear, or widen the front so that the track widths are closer together?

Last one, diff fluid wieght. My car has more than enough initail turn in (I think that this contributes to the rolling problem), would putting thicker fluid in the diff help slow that, or in any way help with rolling by keeping more power on the outside rear tire?
in my experience thicker cst oil in the diff lets in turn more and frees the car up center off too thick will make it break loose on exit thinner oil will calm it and easier to drive
Old 03-25-2014, 08:42 PM   #177
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Thin oil will give you more off power steering and less on power steering.

Thick oil will give you slightly less off power steering and more on power steering.

So turn-in with 1k oil will be better than 3k oil.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's what Martin Crisp told me about rear gear diff oils. So a thicker oil will reduce a little turn in and give you a little more on power steering.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:47 AM   #178
Tech Elite

Thanks for the info on fliud weights. Looks like I am going to be trying out the 2k to slow initial turn in.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #179
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post

Sorry, I had not been checking this thread much as I thought the "ask me about setup" thread was were drivers would ask me questions.

going from 2 hole to three hole may not really decrease pack too much. It is better to make the holes bigger. i.e. go from 1mm to 1.2mm for example.

You are correct that a wider rear and narrow front can contribute to a traction roll. For sure try a wider front and narrower rear. This will also make the car have more steering, so you may need to dial out steering using other techniques. The narrow front you have on their now will make the front of the car initially roll very quickly which could be contributing to your traction roll issue.

re: your diff fluid question. You did not mention if you were asking about the front diff or rear diff. If you put a much thicker oil in the front diff (e.g. 1m cst) this will help reduce initial turn-in but will give you more on power steering. If you put a thicker oil in the rear that will achieve similar results...ie less turn-in but more on power steering.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:50 PM   #180
Tech Elite

The info is defenatly a big help. I am running a spool in the front now, and only 1k in the rear. Im going to bump the rear up to 2k and see if that helps. Along with the other changes you have suggested.