R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-22-2014, 05:45 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Thats exactly what I am saying. I dont see how you can be a worlds level driver and some company hasnt noticed you. If your that good some company would have offered you something in the past. From a partial 50% off type to full ride. If your also that good I would figure some company would maybe even if only for the worlds assist you in getting there, and you slap a sticker on you car. You should have attended other high level events and have a pretty good idea of what to expect and take. Have you never traveled for a race before (overseas excluded). I dont own a travl trailer. All I have is my little hatchback. So basicaly if it dont fit it dont ship. Almost everything I need for a race from spares to radio to tires fits it a box that cost me only $75 to ship from Afghanistan the to U.S. (didnt have rc gear in it, but it wieght around 50lbs) The only thing I would need to get would be a table, chair, and pop-up if not provided. And come on if your attending a race of this caliber, that kind of stuff should easily fit in your budget.

My biggest point is, if you dont already know most of this kind of stuff, your probably not ready to attend a race of this level. And that has nothing to do with driving skill.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:02 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Don't you need to qualify for the Worlds at a National level event? You would almost have to have some experience going to larger races if that is a prerequisite for Worlds...

Just curious.

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
orcadigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:24 AM   #18
Tech Initiate

This is taken from ifmar.org/pdf/rules/ifmar_wc_general_2011.pdf

1.7 COMPETITORS
1.7.1 Only National Bodies affiliated with FEMCA, ROAR, EFRA and FAMAR and affiliated member countries can enter competitors into the World Championships.
1.7.2 The maximum number of competitors will be:
- 100 for 1/12th on-road electric
- 150 for 1/5 IC Tr, 1/10 IC Tr, 1/10 El Tr, 1/10 EL Off Road - 150/(180) for 1/8 IC Tr
- 180 for 1/8th IC Off Road.
Please see further details in each section rules
Places must be initially allocated as follows:
Entries
EFRA
FAMAR
FEMCA
ROAR
Host Block
IFMAR
After distribution of the IFMAR places, the remaining places are to be distributed by the relevant IFMAR Section Chairman on a fair and equitable basis according to any extra requirements of the Blocs.
All unused allocations will be returned to IFMAR for distribution on an equal basis between the Blocs. If there are any unused places still available prior to the commencement of free practice at a World Championship event and a driver who has not entered previously wishes to compete, he may request one (1) of the unused places only through his Bloc representative. The allocation request will be confirmed or denied to the Bloc representative by IFMAR. The member Blocs has the power to veto allocation of such unused places
1.7.3 The number of competitors by country is defined by FEMCA, ROAR, EFRA and FAMAR.
1.8 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP ENTRY FORMS AND ENTRY FEES
1.8.1 Entry forms will be supplied by IFMAR to each Bloc no later than six (6) months prior to the event according to the Blocs’ requests up to the initial maximum in Rule 1.7.2.
1.8.2 Entry forms and fees to be sent to and processed by IFMAR.
1.8.3 Entry forms must be completed and paid by each Bloc and received by IFMAR four (4) months prior to the World Championship event. No exceptions will normally be allowed. The remaining (not taken) and discretionary places will be distributed by the relevant IFMAR Section Chairman on an equitable basis between the Blocs willing to have allocations over the initial figures. These entries must be completed and paid three (3) months prior to the event.
If any of the classes of a World Championship event has less than 20% of the maximum number of entries with a minimum of three (3) countries and two (2) blocks, then IFMAR may consider the cancellation of the event due to the lack of interest.
If such is decided all the money, deposits, fees, entries, etc, will be refunded minus bank costs and related costs.
Refunding to be done within ten (10) working days from notification of cancellation.
No claim can be made from the Organizer for such decision taken in the interest of the sport.

Does any one ever read these things?
NTwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:30 AM   #19
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
Thats exactly what I am saying. I dont see how you can be a worlds level driver and some company hasnt noticed you. If your that good some company would have offered you something in the past. From a partial 50% off type to full ride. If your also that good I would figure some company would maybe even if only for the worlds assist you in getting there, and you slap a sticker on you car. You should have attended other high level events and have a pretty good idea of what to expect and take. Have you never traveled for a race before (overseas excluded). I dont own a travl trailer. All I have is my little hatchback. So basicaly if it dont fit it dont ship. Almost everything I need for a race from spares to radio to tires fits it a box that cost me only $75 to ship from Afghanistan the to U.S. (didnt have rc gear in it, but it wieght around 50lbs) The only thing I would need to get would be a table, chair, and pop-up if not provided. And come on if your attending a race of this caliber, that kind of stuff should easily fit in your budget.

My biggest point is, if you dont already know most of this kind of stuff, your probably not ready to attend a race of this level. And that has nothing to do with driving skill.
Just because someone is not sponsored doesn't mean they are slow, there are some very talented driver who have a life outside R/C they may not be able or want to commit the time to be a sponsored driver, also being sponsored ties you down what the sponsors want you to drive as opposed to what you want to drive, takes some of the enjoyment out of it don't you think.

By your reckoning then, unless you can make the A final ther no point in going, if thats not the case what would you concider the cut off, B final? C final? I know of a few non sponsored driver who occassionally beat sponsored drivers who have made the worlds and not brecause the sponsored drivers are having a bad day!

As for shipping, there is a world of differance sending stuff form serving members of the armed forces to either their home or to their base than there is sending stuff through commercial airlines to a storage facility in another country, from personal experience, customs can be a pain!

Fair play to anyone who wants to pay for the cost of travel, accomodation and R/C equipment, without them there wouldn't be sponored drivers or indeed R/C manufactorers.

Good luck Dan and Skiddins, doen't matter if you come first or last so long as you have a fun which is more than can be said for a driver who doesn't do as well as his sponsor had hoped.

Bb
bucketboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:11 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post

Although I have never flown overseas to race I have been attending UK nationals and regional 'type' events (we don't have TC regional's in the UK) since 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcadigital View Post
Don't you need to qualify for the Worlds at a National level event? You would almost have to have some experience going to larger races if that is a prerequisite for Worlds...

Just curious.
See above.
Typically, for the the BRCA the positions are offered to the highest drivers in the championship, then it filters downwards depending on whether or not those drivers accept to go.
There are always a lot of drivers that won't, or can't, do the bigger international events due to work, finances or personal reasons, so there are always 'wildcards' available.

There is also the point that if a country doesn't take up it's full allocation for the event, they could well have the number of entries reduced for the next event.

The last worlds was held in the Netherlands so obviously it was cheaper and easier to get to, but there were still places available.

I have also spoken to the 1/10 chairman about the possibility of getting in on a wildcard, so no, nothings definite yet, but I'm hopeful I'll be able to go.
And I hope any US drivers who would like a wildcard ROAR entry have the opportunity to go as well.
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:26 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I've been racing on and off for almost 30 years now; I've raced at National level events so I am aware of the big race requirements. Until now I was more interested in having fun at the track than making the A-Main, and for the last 6 years I've been flatout being the head of a household while my wife studied, no racing at all. Now that she is going back to work I've got a few projects coming off the back burner, and as Qatmix and Skiddins have already posted, a World Championship event has been on my bucket list since 1987 when I got my first kit.

So no, I'm not sponsored. I'm not even remotely near the skill level required to compete in the P-Main right now, but....

The great thing about this hobby/sport is that I can buy 95% of the gear the pros use, I can practice every day, I can research and learn setup, without being sponsored. I am not excluded from big events because I am still learning, or unsponsored. I just pay my entry fee, show up, do everything I can to win on the day and learn from the best.

Be aware that I'm not thinking of going to Florida this year; FEMCA is holding the 2016 Worlds according to the rotation, and I live in Australia. I have been sitting down during my spare time and writing a plan of how to qualify and get myself there, and the point of this thread was to see if there were things that I didn't know, and factor them in, like Rick's tip that your equipment has to be IFMAR legal.

I am 42 years old, and I'll be damned if I'm going to let any more of my life slip by without fulfilling some or all of my dreams and aspirations. I owe it to a 15 year old kid I used to be.

As for the non-sponsored/roadblock/not good enough comments, I'll be thinking this in 2016 while I'm trackside

If you don't have clean bearings, good transmission and a perfect car, trust me when I say this...someone else does.
Dan the Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:37 AM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I say if you have the means to get there, and you can get in, do it. I have had the privilege of being a mechanic at 2 different world championships and it was some of the coolest times I have had in RC and I have been doing this for almost 30 years. Sure you are not going to win. But it is not about that. It is about the experience, and seeing the world's best drivers compete at something you like doing.

Go for it, and have fun.
www.teamcrc.com, www.teamscreamracing.com, Outlaw RC Motorsports, KO Propo USA, www.crcraceway.com, Dumper's Speedshop, FB/FX Paint. 38.4mm>38mm, 9 degrees does not = Zero end of story. Vice-President of the F1 Pink Flame Posse
dumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:55 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
To improve, you need to race against the best, not just get good results at your local clubs, which means nothing.
Why are the US drivers so obsessed about sponsors (in stock classes etc as well), I can buy their equipment off the shelf anytime I want and the TC drivers i talk to have always been willing to help out with queries I had about their driving techniques and technical info.

Skiddins
Exactly. When you are in the local top tier drivers and there is nobody left to chase you only have to be faster than 2nd place.. Running with better drivers just makes you a better driver. As for the sponsorship thing, I don't get the big need to be sponsored except for the $$ savings, and to be quite honest I think the freedom to run WHAT you want to run WHEN you want/need to run it far outweighs some cost savings.I think it would be great to go to an event like that as a privateer just because you know there will be people to try and catch so the racing will be top notch fun.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:09 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Im not hatin. Just trying to understand. I know you dont have to be good to be sponsored, iand you can be plenty good without having any sponsorships. But if you are good eneough to qualify,wouldnt it be nice to have a team backing you to help with finances, set-up, politics, ect. instead of being a lone wolf.

If you are good enough to qualify for this event, and you can afford to go with any help, well then good on you. Youve done better financially than most. Most are lucky enough to afford a basic set-up for 1or 2 cars and bi-weekly races.

Good luck, I hope the best for you.

Skiddens, if youve been able to talk with your chairman and be close enough with him to have the level of confidence you do about going, then you are obvioulsy a top tier driver in you region. And while you may not be sponsored, getting a wildcard spot given to you is an endorsment of you and your abilities that is tantamount to a sponsorship and proves my point of how good you have to/should be to attend one of these events. Good luck to you in attaining that spot and your performance once you get there.

As to the shipping thing, I recieved no discounts for being a service member in a combat zone. I paid the same thing my wife did when she shipped it to me.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:51 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the Man View Post
I've been racing on and off for almost 30 years now; I've raced at National level events so I am aware of the big race requirements. Until now I was more interested in having fun at the track than making the A-Main, and for the last 6 years I've been flatout being the head of a household while my wife studied, no racing at all. Now that she is going back to work I've got a few projects coming off the back burner, and as Qatmix and Skiddins have already posted, a World Championship event has been on my bucket list since 1987 when I got my first kit.

So no, I'm not sponsored. I'm not even remotely near the skill level required to compete in the P-Main right now, but....

The great thing about this hobby/sport is that I can buy 95% of the gear the pros use, I can practice every day, I can research and learn setup, without being sponsored. I am not excluded from big events because I am still learning, or unsponsored. I just pay my entry fee, show up, do everything I can to win on the day and learn from the best.

Be aware that I'm not thinking of going to Florida this year; FEMCA is holding the 2016 Worlds according to the rotation, and I live in Australia. I have been sitting down during my spare time and writing a plan of how to qualify and get myself there, and the point of this thread was to see if there were things that I didn't know, and factor them in, like Rick's tip that your equipment has to be IFMAR legal.

I am 42 years old, and I'll be damned if I'm going to let any more of my life slip by without fulfilling some or all of my dreams and aspirations. I owe it to a 15 year old kid I used to be.

As for the non-sponsored/roadblock/not good enough comments, I'll be thinking this in 2016 while I'm trackside
Definitely not hating, just asking the question. You're first post did not say you were an experienced drive who has been to national events and wanted to know what was unique about the Worlds experience vs other large events. You asked what spares to bring. Bucket List is awesome, and congratulations on the personal life accomplishments. I am not sure what you are actually looking for here though.

For a club race, I bring a spare car, enough plastics for about 4 cars, and enough odds and ends to just about completely build a 3rd car. I take the same to regional races (USVTA Southern Nats is the biggest race I have been to). Double batteries, extra charger, any and every tire that might get used, and every setup and specialty tool I own (I hate borrowing tools).

I'd love to go to Worlds this year, but I am pretty sure emailing ROAR asking for a wildcard spot as a mid pack driver is not going to go over well. As many have said, it is not about winning, it is about the experience. I understand the drive to go to an event like this, but I do not understand what advice you are looking for, as you clearly have more big race experience then many of us.

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
orcadigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:44 AM   #26
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

Skiddins, as it stands I guess you're in the same boat as me in hoping other blocs don't take their full allocation. I've been to the last 2, but this time, who knows!
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:18 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW View Post
Skiddins, as it stands I guess you're in the same boat as me in hoping other blocs don't take their full allocation. I've been to the last 2, but this time, who knows!
Matt I'm surprised you haven't been asked! Do we have less than 10 places?

I think I finished 17th in the nationals when I was invited to Italy, but I know there isn't much hope for me this time round as I missed out on the top 20.

Either way, I hope it's done properly, with people being asked in order.
cyclonetog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:20 PM   #28
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

Yes, less then 10, by quite a bit!
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:47 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Last time, in 2012, the UK had 12 drivers in the ISTC and 15 drivers for 1/12.
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:33 PM   #30
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Go for it, and have fun.[/QUOTE]

+1
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote