R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-17-2014, 08:27 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default How long to wait?

So I recently did some research and have found that I can use only one or two batts during a race day and its actually better for the performance of the battery. I took a several year break and when I last ran you needed several NiMh batts to get you through the day. My question is how long do I need to wait to start charging my batt back up after a run. Can I plug in immedeatly or do I need to wait for it to cool and stablize?
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:06 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I put mine back on charge as soon as I'm done marshalling. I haven't had a lipo get hot on me yet.

Carolinas R/C Track Directory - https://sites.google.com/site/carolinasrctracklocator/
DarthRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:53 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
So I recently did some research and have found that I can use only one or two batts during a race day and its actually better for the performance of the battery. I took a several year break and when I last ran you needed several NiMh batts to get you through the day. My question is how long do I need to wait to start charging my batt back up after a run. Can I plug in immedeatly or do I need to wait for it to cool and stablize?
I use two specific packs when at the track (practicing or racing). Usually when I go practice, this is for a minimum of an 8 hour session and those two packs never get a break. I have temped the two Lipo's in the duration of the abuse that I provide to these poor batteries, they have never exceeded 85 degrees. Hope that helps
NEED-MORE-SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:02 AM   #4
Tech Elite

After my run i immediately put it on my blinky balancer. step out to marshall, and then come back to put it on charge. If for some reason my other battery isn't done by then i just charge when its available.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:41 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

No wait time needed.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:38 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

One of the faster racers I know told me he puts the battery on discharge and charges it right back up and race. And repeat for every heat. So no real break time in between.
edhchoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:43 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

you guys are a lot more careful with batteries than i am lol. i just chuck it right on the charger after a race. on our club nights you need every minute to charge up these big 7000's.
im pretty lazy about balance charging. its actually slower so i dont use it that often. once every ten or so cycles ill check the voltages to make sure they are close. i never charge my batteries to full 100% anyway as many chargers have a hard time meeting 4.2v our tech instruments read. so i charge 95% most of the time.
one thing im experimenting with though is bottom balancing the packs. top balance makes sense from a safety perspective, but cell damage occurs at the bottom. if your cells are slightly varied in capacity and you only balance at the top, one of those cells could easily drop below the safe low voltage limit without tripping the lvc in your esc.
ive kind of adopted this principle for much much larger cells like 100AH and more but im trying to see how it will affect cell cycle life in our tiny batteries too.

of course, the lipo batteries we use are lucky to get 500 cycles the way we rapidly discharge them heh.

buuuuut in short, you dont have to wait.. lipo really doesnt require any special attention as long as you use a good quality charger and charge at 1-2 c. its only when you start dumping 20+ amps into them that you need to pay attention but most lipo cells can handle higher charge rates even if not specified. just shortens cycle life.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/ - www.teamassociated.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:37 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Your suppose to wait like 10 minutes to wait to let it settle/cool down so be time you marshal and come pack to your pit its like 10 minutes, (you dont have to wait im told its better for the life of the battery if you do wait a hair) as for the balancing it IS BETTER for them if you do, also i run my 6200 down to about 65% every 6 min run, it takes about 15-20 minutes if that to charge it back up to 4.2v per cell at 7amps, we have an icharger and 3 fma's both are good chargers i prefer the fma just because its simpler

you can overcharge/ or punch the power into the lipos to get them to perform bettery, however that kills the life of them and is not roar legal
rc car guy is offline   Reply With Quote