R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   How To: Promote Sportman like Driving (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/78563-how-promote-sportman-like-driving.html)

ChadCapece 07-21-2005 06:06 PM

That's a valid observation. Only problem is that where most of us race, we don't have a,b,c,d+ mains. So when we TQ for the A, there are racers that are of D-main speed(at your track) racing with us. I've found that I can have a win-win situation by just helping the driver run better lines and get a better setup. That helps me by promoting products for my sponsors and it makes him a better racer on the track, which knows what to do when a fast cars comes up behind him.

As for the guys that are as fast as you, just tell them how you feel and if they are reasonable, they should see your point of view about wrecking.

In my few years of racing, I've only raced with a few guys that would flat-out run me over if I was in front of them. And I've been "hacked" a lot more than that. I've also "hacked" guys a few times. It's mostly a racing misunderstanding. Ya, it looks bad on the track, but sometimes there are situations where the guy in front of you runs different lines or just slows down to abnormally slow speeds, and there's nowhere for me to go, but into his car.

ChadCapece 07-21-2005 06:09 PM

As for lapping a car. It's just curtious to ask the driver on the stand if you can pass. If I'm being lapped, then I'm not fast enough to worry about losing two tenths for letting the leader by.

loopedeloop 07-21-2005 07:28 PM

We have a fairly simple rule.

If you cut a corner and gain advantage , you allow the other person to pass,

If you hack some one you wait for him to get ahead again.

If you dont you are out.

If you cut cnrs or touch 3 times in a race you are out.

And we have a drivers breifing where i tell the guys NO CONTACT! or your out.

I police the racing and decide who to penalise based on the situation at the time.
Our club doesnt have many members so all our racing is a Amain so to speak, so we have experienced guys running with newbies.
This system seems to work well at this point ,tho as things get more serious we may have to look at it again. :nod:

Chris08527 07-21-2005 09:20 PM

for the clubs that only get enough entries for an "A" Main

would it be possible to see where the natural break is in the racers times are???

i.e. you have 8-10 entries lets say this week you have 10

the 5 fastest guys run in the A main
23 laps
23 laps
22 laps
22 laps
22 laps

the next five fastest guys run in the B main

the natural break would be between the slowest 22 lap and the fastest 19 lap

give the better guys a better main and allow the slower guys to try and turn enough laps to make the A

also promote the slower guys something to shoot for because they have something to look towards to make the A instead of doing whatever for three rounds and then crack up the good guys in the A

just throwing that out there i could be way off . . .

later,
Chris08527

josh69162 07-21-2005 09:43 PM

But what if theres only three real fast guys at 22-23, then the other 6-7 are 20,19,19,18,17,16? You can't run a three-man main...
-Josh

lem2 07-21-2005 09:44 PM

Brakes

I have been used as brakes many times before entering into a corner :flaming: :flaming: It's irritating!

Now, a few seconds before the start when every car is on the grid already. We say clean driving!!! And if somebody messes up--- You bet you will hear from everybody in the stand!!!

I guess it happens to everyone, just look at what Barry Baker Experienced during the Reedy race of Asia in HK. He got whacked all over!

Chris08527 07-21-2005 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by josh69162
But what if theres only three real fast guys at 22-23, then the other 6-7 are 20,19,19,18,17,16? You can't run a three-man main...
-Josh

why not???

josh69162 07-21-2005 09:50 PM

The gap is so close it's easy for the top guy that would be in the B-Main to have a good race and keep up with the other guys. But if you move him up, what about the guys only a lap behind?
-Josh

Chris08527 07-21-2005 09:54 PM

sorry josh i am confused

if he is 2-3 laps down in a 3 rounds of qual. i find it hard to see him improve by 3 laps in the main, on a smaller indoor track maybe, but i a larger outdoor track, prob. not

josh69162 07-21-2005 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Chris08527
sorry josh i am confused

if he is 2-3 laps down in a 3 rounds of qual. i find it hard to see him improve by 3 laps in the main, on a smaller indoor track maybe, but i a larger outdoor track, prob. not

True, true... I never took the track size into account. I still think a three-man main would be a bit redundant. Especially if you did three-man qualifiers. Holy crap that would eat up time...
-Josh

Zac Project 07-21-2005 10:07 PM

I think this would be a good rule for sportsman drivers. Win 5 races consectively or spread out and bump into expert. Some drivers think by winning one or two A-mains think that they are ready for expert :weird: :rolleyes: . I raced a whole season in sportman and won about 15 races in one year. This prepared me for expert and mentally it made me ready. My first expert stock race ( SoCal ), I came in 2nd place beating one of the main guys that raced expert stock for 3 years :).

Chris08527 07-21-2005 10:09 PM

josh,

never said three man qual. if you had 10 entries 5 cars in each heat with 2 heats per round

rd1 heat 1
heat 2

rd2 heat 1 reverse order
heat 2 reverse order

REshuffle

rd 3 heat 1 slowest 5 racers
heat 2 fastest 5 racers

B main
natural break
A main

josh69162 07-21-2005 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Chris08527
josh,

never said three man qual. if you had 10 entries 5 cars in each heat with 2 heats per round

rd1 heat 1
heat 2

rd2 heat 1 reverse order
heat 2 reverse order

REshuffle

rd 3 heat 1 slowest 5 racers
heat 2 fastest 5 racers

B main
natural break
A main

But your using the most optimal scenario possible. I think that's a great system if that scenario ever happens, but in my sequence the natural break is between the top three, and the rest of the field. Would you still separate the five fastest and five slowest even though the break is after the top three?
-Josh

sosidge 07-22-2005 01:31 AM

Chris/Josh - my opinion is that you shouldn't split the finals because of a "natural gap".

Often, that natural gap is caused by the top heat being able to run faster race times because they all push each other faster, whereas the lower heats have more delays. Drivers from lower heats can easily gain a couple of laps in a fast final, I've done it many times myself.

Also, if I was one of the group hoping to be the fourth best driver at the club, I would be gutted if they told me to race with the slower drivers just because of a gap between me and third place. If I qualify fourth, I've earned a place in the A final, no matter how fast/slow I am.

Furthermore, you don't get any better by racing slow drivers over and over again. Racers need a chance to pit themselves against the best if they are going to improve.

So I'm with Josh on this one!

Chris08527 07-22-2005 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by josh69162
But your using the most optimal scenario possible. I think that's a great system if that scenario ever happens, but in my sequence the natural break is between the top three, and the rest of the field. Would you still separate the five fastest and five slowest even though the break is after the top three?
-Josh

for the last rd. of qual. no, but for the mains yes