Wiki Posts
Search

Anybody got experience with the HiTec Lynx 3D FM w/Spectra module

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2001, 09:07 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Anybody got experience with the HiTec Lynx 3D FM w/Spectra module

The release of the new Novak XXtra sythesized reciever has me considering purchasing the Hitec Lynx 3D FM w/spectra module radio to go with it.

So can someone who actually owns the radio give me the lowdown on it. You know:

How does it fit in your hand?

How heavy is it?

Is it easy to use the features?

Is the radio well built, or does the plastic creek everytime you pick the radio up?

Do you ever get interference?

If you own one with the Spectra module, how does it work? Does it do everything its supposed to?

Thanks.
Old 09-27-2001, 10:05 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Darkside - I have the 3D, and use it for both of my cars.

1. It fits my hand nice, Some people say it doesnt, but i personally like the feel. Most people that say that usually only use the radio once or twice. It took me about a day of regular use till i had it "comfortable"...

2. It seams to be about the wieght of all the other radios i have held. I would suggest seeing if you can borrow one for a couple minutse, and hold it. Remember that when you hold any radio, it might not be "right" at first, just due to the fact that you arent used to it. I held a KO Mars a couple weeks back, and hated it... It's mostly personal preferance.

3. It takes a couple times to get used to the setup menu. That is my only dislike. Once you get used to it, you will know how to change stuff by heart... It is easy.

4. I would say it is well built, The LCD is large, but i like that, i can make changes and just glance at the radio and keep driving.

5. I caught some glitching only ONCE. My batteries started to dump at the end of the main ( i never charged them the night before.... and i didnt the week before either ). I got down to almost 7.2 some on the batts, and thats when it glitched, but only once, so i'm happy...

6. The Spectra ROCKS. If you get the radio with the spectra you get 3 spare crystals for the reciever. The Spectra works just as they say, dial in the freq. and change the crystal. The system would ROCK with the XXXTra. I have heard of people using the combo, but i haven't....yet.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Old 09-27-2001, 10:18 AM
Regional Moderator

TSR6: Thats exactly the info I was looking for. The people you have heard of using the combo with the XXtra, how has it performed for them? Car Action says they work perfectly together. But, as we all know, we have to take Car Action reviews with a grain of salt.

I am quite interested in it now. It has many more features than my Futaba 3PDF not the least of which is 7 more memory slots and the whole spectra module thing. The LCD is a little oversized for my taste, but thats just a small thing that I can deal with.

Thats great advice about finding someone to let me hold theirs. If there is no one at the track this weekend with one, I will go to one of my local shops to "test hold" one.

Truth be told though, I really haven't ran into a radio that just was unbearable in the feel department. A friend of mine has the Multiplex radio and that thing is really comfortarable, and so is my 3PDF. But, I think I can become comfortarable with any radio.

Thanks for the response.
Old 09-27-2001, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Darkside,

I've had my 3D for 2 years.
The wieght is fine. The radio feels well balanced. I've tried other radios and quite honestly, all of them feel well balanced.

I felt that the 3D handle felt too "round" and not rectangular or oval enough so the controller has a tendency to rotate in my throttle hand. This can be easily fixed with generous and well placed tape wrapping.

Yes, I think its easy to use

Concerning quality, the throttle did start to creak, but keep in mind, my 3D is 2 years old. A little bit of grease and it will be as good as new.

For the price and features, there is simply nothing better - especially when used with the novak receiver.
Old 09-27-2001, 10:38 AM
Regional Moderator

linger: Thanks for the response. Yeah, after 2years any radio will start to creek. I know my 3PDF has. I've had it for about 3-4 years. I just don't like to see brand new radios that seem a little too loose at the joints, you know.

Its good to know that it is well balanced.
Old 09-27-2001, 10:39 AM
RCTech Member #2

Darkside - I have yet to hear anything bad abotu the combo.. I'll ask around...

I'll post a bit later... bell is ringing...
Old 09-27-2001, 11:14 AM
RCTech Member #2

Ok, I'm back..

Another little thing: The foam on the wheel slips... Super Glue it or it may rub against the radio 1/2 way through a run, keeping it from returning to center. Thats another little thing about the radio... no biggie..
Old 09-27-2001, 12:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Lightbulb

I've read that the Spectra module works in Futaba radios as well.
So you might look into that as well.
Old 09-27-2001, 02:16 PM
Regional Moderator

TSR6: the same thing used to happen to the foam on my Aristronics XL2P. Its definitely a small thing thats easily correctable. I'd be grateful for anything you can find out about the two working togehter. In any case I think I will give the radio a try. What the heck, why not.

Thats an interesting thought Minicooper.
Old 09-27-2001, 02:57 PM
RCTech Member #2

People have mentioned that to us at my lhs, We havent recomended it... But i have heard people have used it. I think both companies say it won't...

I personally wouldnt recomend it, just due to the fact that i havent tried it, and everyone says it doesnt work, although both modules look very similar.

If i can't talk to anyone about it within the next couple weeks, i may go out and buy one for myself. I have been looking at it, but now you give me the perfect excuse ...heh
Old 09-27-2001, 03:32 PM
Regional Moderator

TSR6: Like any of us need an excuse to buy something! But, it helps to have an excuse when you married.

The module thing really doesn't apply to me since the module is only removeable in Futaba's 3PJS.
Old 09-27-2001, 03:40 PM
RCTech Member #2

I have accually been hoping for my RX to poop on me so i had an excuse. I have been a bit on the low side for $$ lately...so i have to justify all my puchases... Like when i got the threaded shocks tues "Well i special order-ed them, so i better take them" Then when i get some graphite tommorow... "Well... My car was too heavy, and when i drive to the track the extra wieght makes gas mileage suck..."

Nahh.. I wouldnt mind getting it.... Next paycheck... Maybe.. I need tires first ...then i will look at it again

I just logged onto the chat, drop in and say Hi, i answer Q?'s about the radio *live* whoo hoo hehe
Old 09-27-2001, 03:51 PM

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Yo-Yo-Yokomo and I both have Lynx 3D FM Radios

Neither is Spectra, but we love our radios. I only had glitching once in a year and a half, but that was a messed up motor.

I'm sure that you would love it with Spectra. Wish that I had it.

Hi-tec is awesome with customer relations. I have had to send it in twice. Once because I completely discharged the battery and then baked it in my hot garage. That didn't make it very happen, but I sent it in, and they recalibrated it, and never had a problem with the transmitter sense. Another time I was running a buggy, the body came off and launched the RX into the pavement. Sent it in, they sent me a new crystal. I got it back very quickly both times, and it was covered under warranty.

Cmotif <><
Old 09-27-2001, 04:58 PM
Regional Moderator

Man it sounds like a good radio. I like that it comes with the battery and charger. I have been using Futaba's battery pack in my radio since I bought it, and I would not enjoy using normal batteries.

TSR6: Man your silly....but, the sad part is we have all justified our R/C purchases like that before.

We're all sick, sick puppies!
Old 09-27-2001, 05:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown

I actually won my 3D at the Hitec Race. I currently have an Airtronics 3PS but my hand usually starts to cramp, the 3D's weight seems more centrally located therefore for me it is more comfortable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.