R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-11-2014, 04:17 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default WGT vs UF1 class

I am considering jumping into a 1/10 pan car or 1/10 F1 chassis and I'm looking for some helpful tips. I recently got back into 1/10 TC/USGT and have no experience with foam tires. My only non-belt driven RC car was a RC10 Worlds Edition from ages ago and figure the same 2wd feel would be present in both a pan car and F1 chassis. Might also mention I am in the Texas area interested in carpet and pavement racing.

The advice I need would be a strong recommendation for which manufacturer to go with for either pan car or F1 chassis. My 1/10 TC car is a schumacher and it's a pain in the A$$ to try to find replacement or hop up parts for a company not distributing parts to local US Dealers.

Also, which class seems to be more active today between WGT or UF1? I realize it's hard to guess which class is going to continue to thrive into the future, but it doesn't sound very exciting to buy into a new car class that has no local support.

Thanks in advance,
Garrett
Ghartman581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:08 PM   #2
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghartman581 View Post
I am considering jumping into a 1/10 pan car or 1/10 F1 chassis and I'm looking for some helpful tips. I recently got back into 1/10 TC/USGT and have no experience with foam tires. My only non-belt driven RC car was a RC10 Worlds Edition from ages ago and figure the same 2wd feel would be present in both a pan car and F1 chassis. Might also mention I am in the Texas area interested in carpet and pavement racing.

The advice I need would be a strong recommendation for which manufacturer to go with for either pan car or F1 chassis. My 1/10 TC car is a schumacher and it's a pain in the A$$ to try to find replacement or hop up parts for a company not distributing parts to local US Dealers.

Also, which class seems to be more active today between WGT or UF1? I realize it's hard to guess which class is going to continue to thrive into the future, but it doesn't sound very exciting to buy into a new car class that has no local support.

Thanks in advance,
Garrett
Go to the tracks you plan on racing at, check out the scene, talk to the locals
See what tickles your fancy

Have fun

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:11 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Where in Tejas?

I'm partial to WGT myself, but where you race as Dave said above plays a major role in your decision.

AWD
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty View Post
Where in Tejas?

I'm partial to WGT myself, but where you race as Dave said above plays a major role in your decision.

AWD
Andrew,
I plan on making R&D my regular track and going out to Mikes in porter once in a while. I'm leaning more towards WGT probably because I'm more personally into Lemans style racing over Fi or indy.

Wonder if there will be any local dealers for the Speed Power LM-1 kit.. more for the chassis than the body look.

My question about pan cars is whether the difference in weight between 4wd touring cars and 2wd pan cars makes them faster and handle differently or if it's not that noticable.

Thanks,
Garrett
Old 01-12-2014, 03:29 PM   #5
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

Quote:
Andrew,
I plan on making R&D my regular track and going out to Mikes in porter once in a while. I'm leaning more towards WGT probably because I'm more personally into Lemans style racing over Fi or indy.

Wonder if there will be any local dealers for the Speed Power LM-1 kit.. more for the chassis than the body look.

My question about pan cars is whether the difference in weight between 4wd touring cars and 2wd pan cars makes them faster and handle differently or if it's not that noticeable.

Thanks,
Garrett
RWD, Weight, Foam tires, 1s lipo, make pan cars much more agile thru the corners

There is quite a noticeable difference in the way they drive compared to Tourers

If you're looking into racing WGT, I would suggest a full race chassis to be competitive
I'm sure the LM-1 is also fun to drive if that's all you're after

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:52 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

LM-1 is a good chassis but you probably wouldnt be able to run in a WGT class with it. There are a few looking to get a class for it rolling at their local tracks and here is the thread about it: http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ar-lm1-39.html

For WGT you probably want a GenX10 or any of the other "race chassis" like RedBullFixx recommends. I would ask at the track what chassis is the one to go with so you can exchange setup info with other racers.
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:34 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Andrew,

My question about pan cars is whether the difference in weight between 4wd touring cars and 2wd pan cars makes them faster and handle differently or if it's not that noticable.

Thanks,
Garrett
If you are talking about RSD, then I would go with UF1 for sure. While a couple of guys @ RSD have WGTs, the class is not typically raced... whereas F1 is one of the more popular classes.
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:06 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

James - Yes, sorry, RSD is what I meant. Is there an F1 chassis out there that's competitive on a budget level?
Old 01-12-2014, 10:17 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Trackdesigner - Is the genx10 highly supported here in the states with parts and factory support? What about the serpent s100 or corally 10sl?
Old 01-13-2014, 08:40 AM   #10
Tech Regular

Quote:
James - Yes, sorry, RSD is what I meant. Is there an F1 chassis out there that's competitive on a budget level?
the best value for the money is the speed passion SP1
Old 01-13-2014, 10:34 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Trackdesigner - Is the genx10 highly supported here in the states with parts and factory support?
It's an all American company, if you can't find the parts locally you can buy direct from the factory. http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/ They should also have an F1 chassis out soon.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:45 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
I do not race F1 personally, so I am not familiar with which cars are competitive/costs/etc.

Chris Jones and Marcus Williams are two of the fastest F1 guys @ RSD, and they should be able to point you in the right direction and help get you situated and up to speed. Obviously Cristian can help as well. I would recommend dropping by the track the next time they are having an on-road club race, to check things out and chat with the local racers.

Edit: If pan-car racing is what floats your boat, you may consider 12th scale as well. There is a pretty big 12th scale following at RSD.
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote