Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
TRF415, FK04, TC4, PRO4, what do I get???? >

TRF415, FK04, TC4, PRO4, what do I get????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TRF415, FK04, TC4, PRO4, what do I get????

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 10:46 AM
Tech Adept

Default TRF415, FK04, TC4, PRO4, what do I get????

Hey everyone,

I am trying to get into 1/10th scale electric, I already race 1/10 scale nitro, but want something for the winter months.

So I was hoping you could help me out since I very new to electrics.

I have a chance to pick up a trf415 (not the MS, but a good amount of spare parts) for a pretty good price, with 4 gp3300 Matched packs ( i know i don't need these as a begginer, but they are included), LRP Quantum 2, Futabe 9550, 3 sets of rubber tires and rims and a couple stock motors for around $550

But after reading up it seems like the 415 is a hard car to get dialed in, and isn't the strongest thing out there either. So I like what I have read about the FK04 and you can get them at a decent price, FK05 i think is more than i need at the moment and local distibution for Xray parts is great.

I also thought about the TC4 (maybe factory edition when it is out) or the PRO4 because the parts are pretty much in every hobby store out their and seem to be very capable cars.

So I am just looking for some advice to see if i should jump on the 415 deal (hopefully i can eventually upgrade it to the MSX version eventually) and to know if I would be competitive with or if i should go another route

I plan to buy the Duratrax ice charger for my batteries and a itegy discharge tray. (or should i get the Novak?) I could also get the CE GFX charger buyt think it is overkill for me and like the fact that the duratrax can do LI-POL batteries too.

PLEASE HELP BEFORE MY HEAD EXPLODES!!!
Old 07-18-2005, 10:55 AM
Tech Addict

Well, your set with that TRF415. If I were you i'd get it. Your getting alot of stuff with the car its like an RTR I guess but super uber car. Plus, TRF415 has won national titles across the globe. I'm getting a TA05 though hehe...
Old 07-18-2005, 11:21 AM
Tech Adept

will there be a update kit from the standard 415 to the MSX?

on the tamiya usa website it mentions something about a reversible suspension, what is that?
Old 07-18-2005, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Guys don't post on this thread. 6g72tt-do a search about the different cars. Ask you Tamiya question on the 415 thread. About twice a week this thread comes up and it starts a pissing match. Please do a search. You'll find your answers.

thanks
Old 07-18-2005, 12:42 PM
Tech Adept

I have sepnt the last week doing searches, and have read all 350 pages about the 415.

it is hard to find info comparing the cars, and in the car specific threads everyone obviously loves the car they have chosen. I was hoping to find a impartial view, (if possbile) on the cars and help me to make a decision.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Send the owner of EA motorsports a pm. Or try Ray Huang. I know both of them have owned alot of the cars you have listed.

Both guys can be found on this thread:

http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44983
Old 07-18-2005, 09:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Or just post your question here so those with a similiar question can see the response.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:28 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jamescam
Or just post your question here so those with a similiar question can see the response.
Isn't that what i did? I will also try posting in the other thread as well.

Thanks
Old 07-19-2005, 02:59 AM
Tech Master

6g72tt,

I don't know who told you the TRF415 isn't the strongest thing out there, but he obviously don't know the car. The std TRF415 (not the MS, although the MS is pretty strong too) is about as indestructible as can be, you will hardly ever break any suspension components on that car, mostly you'll bend hinge pins on big crashes, but these are very cheap to replace.

Having said that, if you're a beginner in electrics and it's just for the winter months, maybe you shouldn't get such a high end car. A car like the TA05, T1R, etc... would certainly suit you and be cheaper to buy.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 6g72tt
Isn't that what i did? I will also try posting in the other thread as well.

Thanks
Yes, I was supporting your decision to do so as apposed to the gentlemen who tried to direct you elsewhere.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:11 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TRF415boy
6g72tt,

I don't know who told you the TRF415 isn't the strongest thing out there, but he obviously don't know the car. The std TRF415 (not the MS, although the MS is pretty strong too) is about as indestructible as can be, you will hardly ever break any suspension components on that car, mostly you'll bend hinge pins on big crashes, but these are very cheap to replace.

Having said that, if you're a beginner in electrics and it's just for the winter months, maybe you shouldn't get such a high end car. A car like the TA05, T1R, etc... would certainly suit you and be cheaper to buy.
Do you think the deal i am getting on the 415 is a good deal? And can I upgrade this eventually to the MSX version.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I don't know much about the Tamiya car, but I do know they are very tough. However here are my 2 cents.... I don't like buying used batteries or motors, that is why I don't sell them, I will give them away at the track or give them away as a bonus on a sale, but never actually sell them....

also I have a FK04' I am selling in the swap and sell boards, it's my spare car and i am letting it go pretty cheap..... I'm asking $200 for the chassis and $300 with electrics (speedo and servo) If your interested send me an e-mail at My e-mail I'm also accepting reasonable offers.....
Old 07-19-2005, 11:53 AM
sbs
Tech Apprentice

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Pro4Capece
Guys don't post on this thread. 6g72tt-do a search about the different cars. Ask you Tamiya question on the 415 thread. About twice a week this thread comes up and it starts a pissing match. Please do a search. You'll find your answers.

thanks
“Search this forum !”

That may be one of yours preferred post replies, when someone have a problem with something you know have been :
“Talked about last week”.

Help them were to find the answer instead !

Remember : There are NO stupid questions, only stupid answers !
Old 07-19-2005, 12:00 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by IMPACTPLAYR
I don't know much about the Tamiya car, but I do know they are very tough. However here are my 2 cents.... I don't like buying used batteries or motors, that is why I don't sell them, I will give them away at the track or give them away as a bonus on a sale, but never actually sell them....

also I have a FK04' I am selling in the swap and sell boards, it's my spare car and i am letting it go pretty cheap..... I'm asking $200 for the chassis and $300 with electrics (speedo and servo) If your interested send me an e-mail at My e-mail I'm also accepting reasonable offers.....
I am not to worried about buying the used batts and motor from this person as his is local and a very nice guy, plus I know where he lives

But trying to decide is driving me crazy, i guess I might just have to bite the bullet and take a chance and learn from their. And in all the post I've read, it seems very hard to find a objective comparison of two cars, even searching on the net for reviews.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

Are you going to be racing on carpet? Will you be using rubber or foam tires? You might get away with using the Tamiya on carpet with rubber tires in stock, but anything other than that and you might find yourself in trouble. The 415 is a very capable car, but it tends to do much better on asphault than on carpet. If you are going to be racing on carpet, I would look for a used Xray with a BMI chassis, or even the Xray XRC chassis. These chassis aren't a necessity in stock, but I would still recommend looking for a car with either of the two.

If you don't plan to run the car on carpet, any of the cars you listed will be great, and the 415 deal you listed would be a good place to start.

Josh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.