R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-19-2005, 08:56 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

discharge board

hi guys n dolls

Once a discharge board such as the orion gets down to it determined voltage cutoff does the board stop the cell going down any further.

For example can i leave the cells on the discharge board overnight safely in the knowleged that the cells will go to 5V only and not below.

My concern is that if it is left the cells will be drained completly

hope this make sence because i cannot see the difference between a $18.99 discharge board and a $50 novak one.

big blue
blueskieshlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 10:43 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

There are programmable discharge boards, I.E. the novak one. Others that only have one purpose, discharge the cells. Why? Some only like to take their cells down to a certian point, others like to store them dead shorted. Another reason, some cannot afford the price of a $50 device and would rather pull the cells as they get to the desired level on their own to save cash.

There are tons of discussions on this subject. I suggest that you do a search to find the thousands of posts on proper battery maintenance. Ask anyone the best way to discharge batteries and you are likely to get at least two answers from each, each slightly different.
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 10:44 AM   #3
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to micros_rock

Which Novak tray are talking about? The Digital one or the Flatline one? The Digital one just lets you set the cut-off voltage, so it won't discharge past that point. But IMHO just get a cheaper non-digital one, keeping batteries trayed overnight won't hurt them, it will actually bring them back to life and keep them conditioned.
What I have found works very well, is to discharge my batteries with the Spintec BatMan after a run, store them like that, and if they sit for more than a week, then I will cycle the pack, tray it for at least 12 hours, and then charge it for the next race. I personally use the Trinity trays, but any of the trays will do the same thing, and you won't have to worry about the batteries going into cell reversal.

Hope this helps.
micros_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 10:52 AM   #4
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to micros_rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay70
There are programmable discharge boards, I.E. the novak one. Others that only have one purpose, discharge the cells. Why? Some only like to take their cells down to a certian point, others like to store them dead shorted. Another reason, some cannot afford the price of a $50 device and would rather pull the cells as they get to the desired level on their own to save cash.
Just a point that many people seem to mix up, deadshorting and traying cells down to 0.0v is not the same thing. Deadshorting is when you connect the + and - ends of the pack together to deadshort the pack, this is what "kills" runtime at the cost of power. Traying your cells down to 0.0v does not hurt them like this.
micros_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 11:11 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You are correct. I didn't elaborate because of how many discussions there are on this very subject. Traying them will equalize the pack, then dead shorting... with this method the pack is all discharged to the same level and there is less chance of a cell having a large charge prior to dead shorting..
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote