R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-18-2005, 11:19 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default What's so special about Tamiya?

I'm serious about this. I was thinking of buying a Tamiya for my next touring car. I read a lot of posts by people who are very enthusiatistic for their support for Tamiya, usually owning several cars (all listed in their signature, no less).

But, here in the states, parts availability is an issue and the kits themselves are way overpriced. Is it really worth it? Is a TRF415 US$100-150 better than a TC4 or JRX-S?

I'm not implying anything or asking for any flames. I just want to know why YOU like your Tamiyas and why, and what advice you would give someone considering the purchase of a Tamiya. Thanks.
RandomFellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 11:30 PM   #2
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomFellow
I'm serious about this. I was thinking of buying a Tamiya for my next touring car. I read a lot of posts by people who are very enthusiatistic for their support for Tamiya, usually owning several cars (all listed in their signature, no less).

But, here in the states, parts availability is an issue and the kits themselves are way overpriced. Is it really worth it? Is a TRF415 US$100-150 better than a TC4 or JRX-S?

I'm not implying anything or asking for any flames. I just want to know why YOU like your Tamiyas and why, and what advice you would give someone considering the purchase of a Tamiya. Thanks.
I've never driven a high end tamiya before, but i know for a fact those are quality cars that have been proven by pros and average racers. Here in norcal all my LHS don't carry much for tamiya except for the actuall kits. If you want to buy a Tamiya go for it...it's your money. Speedtechrc.com carries all sorts of parts for every car out basically. Tamiya is a very strong company that have alot of good drivers on their team.

I too hear mixed things about the 415 and the evo4 being good bad etc. But when it comes down to buying a kit it's all up to you. I was considering about getting a 415, but later made up my mind to go yokomo with the BD...my main choice was part support for tamiya over at my area.
axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 11:34 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to vi3tishduy

Think of it this way... You have GM, Cheverlet, Dodge, and Ford, and the other American car companies. Statistics show that American made cars are poorer quality, parts ware out fast. Then you have the European and Asian cars. BMW, Acura, ect.. They last at least 5-8 years longer and have better quality overall. From my perspective, in the R/C world. I am about to order a Tamiya. Why? Quality, race prooven, and style/sexyness. Lol.. American cars are all... just... hill billyish like stratus ect. So.. I guess you could use the analogy of Cars In real life to R/C cars. Hope this helps. Oh and yes, the Team Associated company is good too, I have a TC3 and now buying a TA05. As for the JRXS, I have no clue on it besides the arms being shorter. Some what similar to the Pro3. Man, buy what you feel like.
vi3tishduy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 11:42 PM   #4
Tech Master

Hey,its a 2 time ifmar world champ.....

That besides the point,tamiya is cheaper in my part of the world....(Asia,nearer to Japan...)
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 11:49 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Tamiya has history and tradition...

...of fufilling the neverending thirst of hobbyists for the latest and greatest (duncha just love their product cycles)
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 11:49 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vi3tishduy
Think of it this way... You have GM, Cheverlet, Dodge, and Ford, and the other American car companies. Statistics show that American made cars are poorer quality, parts ware out fast. Then you have the European and Asian cars. BMW, Acura, ect.. They last at least 5-8 years longer and have better quality overall. From my perspective, in the R/C world. I am about to order a Tamiya. Why? Quality, race prooven, and style/sexyness. Lol.. American cars are all... just... hill billyish like stratus ect. So.. I guess you could use the analogy of Cars In real life to R/C cars. Hope this helps. Oh and yes, the Team Associated company is good too, I have a TC3 and now buying a TA05. As for the JRXS, I have no clue on it besides the arms being shorter. Some what similar to the Pro3. Man, buy what you feel like.
The Dodge Stratus is just a body - nothing to do with the chassis. BTW, all the pros (even Tamiya) are running Protform's Stratus 3.0 right now. Just take a good look at the FT TC4 or the JRX-S and tell me there isn't anything sexy about them.

I guess what I'm getting at is this: For US$300, I can get an HPI RS4 Pro or a Yokomo MR-4TC SD. For US$350, I can get a JRX-s. For US$375, I can get a FT TC4, a T1FK05, or a Corally RDX. BUT, for a wopping US$475, I can get a TRF415 MS. The pricing for parts is also very similar, with Tamiya being far more money than any other manufacturer.

I have quite a bit of experience with touring cars, so I'm not new to this and my next car would certainly not be my first. And I'm not trying to make a statement or argue one way or the other. I just want to know: "Is it worth it?"

Last edited by RandomFellow; 07-19-2005 at 12:01 AM.
RandomFellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 11:54 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

It looks like I'm the first actual Tamiya junkie to answer.

The reason I run Tamiyas? They're tough as nails, they handle as good as anything out there, "service parts" (arms, pins, c-hubs, etc.) are really reasonable, they always have really cool hop-ups...but you can race them right out of the box. Oh yeah...lots of stuff interchanges. If you have spares and hardware for one, you have spares and hardware for most of the others.

I had a Pro 4 for a month or so...smack something and it was all over the track after that. Smack it good and it costs $20 to fix it. I've never broken a single Tamiya arm, only stripped out one knuckle and bent a few hingepins (picture Dale Earnhardt's crash into a brick wall at full speed).

The other thing is that the Tamiya guys tend to stick together. It's almost like a family thing, at least around here...it's pretty cool...if you don't mind that they're almost all Phillipino.

Now I have a TNX, two EVO-III SE (one red for parkinglots, one blue for SoCal), EVO-IV, TB-02/EVO-SS, MO4M, MO3, TT-01 X2. One HPI Rally(sold the rest), one Losi XXX-4, one FTB3, one TC3.

Oh yeah...are they worth it? Hell yeah...I buy all mine used. At least all the good ones. There are always nice, hopped-up cars for sale. I bought my first Surikarn off here (and the second from a local racer that frequents the board) and traded for my EVO-IV off the board here. The TAOB guys are always selling nice stuff
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 12:02 AM   #8
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

i have only owned 2 tamiya cars, and am a newb myself, but at my track, i would say all the top end race cars all perform about the same. it all boils down to preferences.

but i think tamiya is worth it for 3 reasons:

1. quality and precision parts. no one will disagree that a tamiya kit fits together without any extraneous hassle. i have built many stationary models and 2 rc cars, and the kits are all very good. The materials they use are pretty top notch.

2. good instructions=easier to build. clear instructions. some of the best i have seen. diagrams are also nicely done.

3. suspension. arguably the world's best electric rc suspension. IMO anyway.

the 2 biggest drawbacks:

1. as mentioned before, PRICE.
2. avaliability. <-- consider this carefully. support your LHS if possible.

but MY answer towards your question:

yes its worth it.

my 2 cents anyway.
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 12:09 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation "TAMIYAHOLIC'

I would just like to repeat what someone already said, if you break a part at a race and it's your last qualifier even if it's just a $2.00 item if nobody has it in stock or in their tool box to let you borrow it so you can finish your final race then what are you going to do? just pack up and go home!, I don't think so!
Don't get me wrong Tamiya makes quality chassis's and you won't be dissappointed once you get it on the track but without any tech support or part support at the track you frequent, then your going to be left out in the cold!
By the way you can get a used 415 for at least half the price just look here in RC tech's BUY<SELL>TRADE section! Some in very good condition!
Just my 2!!!!!
"Tamiya Racer to Infinity and Beyond!"
maxepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 12:30 AM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hi, I'm John, and I'm a Tamiya-holic.

Reasons I run Tamiya... because they look cool, the graphite, the blue aluminum parts, the TRF flourine shocks, and because they are tough! I started TC racing with a Yokomo SD... I broke so many parts on that car that I started to understand why others called it "Brokomo". It just wasn't fun having to fix the car after every run, missing a qualifying heat because I was in the pits wrenching was not fun. My local racetrack wasn't exactly parts friendly which didn't help.

I eventually got fed up with the Yokomo, sold it on this board and bought myself a TRF415. The advertising for the 415 and the dual belt concept is what sold me on the car. My LFS didn't carry any Tamiya parts other than the kits, so entered Rainbow 10, SpeedTech, and All Speed Hobbies. These 3 shops are responsible for feeding my addiction, I was able to get every spare part I needed. I bought every hop up for the 415, my car was 415MS spec before the MS was even out. The $475 for 415MS is a steal compared to what I've paid to put all the parts together myself... was it worth it... well, only you can answer that for yourself, for me... YES!

Then the Evo IV came out, I had the opportunity to be one of the first to own one so... I bought one... then saw a video of F201s... had to buy one. Noticed that my pit tools were not as cool as the blue Tamiya tools... searched high and low, found one... can you see the trend here?

I'm not bashing the other manufacturers like HPI, Yokomo, AE, Losi, XRay, etc because if I was running one of them instead of my Tamiya, I'm sure I'll be just as slow.
Runin Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 01:06 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Hi, my name is Kevin, I have an rc addiction, but I founded a group for other people like me to feed their obsession with tamiya cars. Just remember, I am not only a member, but a client too!

Well, I would say it the scale realism of the bodies. People can relate to them with a car they fantasize about on tv or in person. Tamiya has always catered more towards the beginner, and most every racer out there has owned a tamiya, at one time or another. The cars are some of the easiest to build and maintain. Tamiya is one of the oldest RC car makers, and the one who is recognized as the beginner of the sedan market that has become so popular in the past few years.

I do believe that some of the so called serious race tracks in the US don't stock parts for them. My thought is because of lack of effort on the tracks side. If the track owner understood the way tamiya sells these cars, its one of the best marketing ideas I have seen. They sell a basic car, for a cheap price (thowing out the bait). Then sell you some cool looking hop-ups and tuning bits (set the hook). Then a year or so later they have refined the car some, and come out with a kit with all the hop-ups included for a great price in comparison to what many paid for individual parts and (reel the sales of the race ready car kits). The idea of constantly improvement is something that the japaneese business people have refined very well over the years.

In the past Tamiya has focused on the realism, and left the performance as secondary (looks over performance). As for more recent years, tamiya seems to have focused more on the racing side of things. They seem to want to continue to improve things (like many other companies), but have a drive lately that pushes the competition to new heights.

Kevin

Last edited by dsrbltoys; 07-19-2005 at 01:47 AM.
dsrbltoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 01:17 AM   #12
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default My take... after two years...

every company out there has a great car. let me repeat that again... every company from AE to Losi to Schumacher, Corally, X-Ray, Yokomo and Tamiya have awesome cars. And in the right hands, any of those cars can win on any given day....

but here's why I continue to drive my Tamiya cars. it's the TCS races. I started two years ago in Mini and F201. I got blown out of the water. I saw some guy named Rod Canare being chased by some guy named Mark Dawson and Ling Kang Tong.... these guys were battling like crazy. And I remember thinking.. I want to have fun battles like that. Ive met and made a lot of friends through TCS. Guys like Troy Crabtree, Dan Garber.. to the team I am proud to be a member of... TAOB Racing with its members like Izzy "Ankle Breaker" Suarez, Ian Aquino and Jasper "Relax" David..and guys like Max and his son Timmy.. it goes on and on.... These guys can not only can wheel, but they'll clown on you the moment you leave an opening. To my teammate Izzy being called Fatso to DG calling out Mayo boy... at the end of the day, after a hard fought race.... everyone's still friends and we look forward to the next TCS race or TCS Nationals.

Like turbo joe said.. lots of Pilipinos are all over the place (lesson of the day, the Philippine language does NOT contain the letter "F"... thats why its Pilipino to some.. and Filipino to others ) racing these things. but I would NEVER trade the commraderie and friendships Ive developed with these guys.... I always thought hobbies like rc racing is more fun when you compete against friends. There's nothing more satisfying than trash talking to my teammates after a successful suicide pass or motoring them down the straight. All in all, Tamiya and TCS has been able to provide that...and they've done it over the past 10 years with no signs of slowing down.

I'm sure HPI has the same type of following with their HPI Challenge. but for me.. thats why I stick with Tamiya. Well having a nice test track facility doesnt hurt either!
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 02:33 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I was just gonna say "Flips"...but I figured that either nobody outside of SoCal would get it and the ones that did might be bent for some reason.

Lesson learned. "Pilipinos".
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 02:42 AM   #14
Tech Master

Exclamation "TAMIYAHOLIC"

RIGHT ON! CHRIS!
I TOO HAVE A CONFESSION TO MAKE!
HI EVERYONE! MY NAME IS MAX!
I AM A "TAMIYAHOLIC"
ANYONE ELSE,ANYONE,ANYONE,ANYONE
IT'S O.K.
GO AHEAD!
SAY IT!
IT WILL HELP TO START THE" HEALING PROCESS"
"Tamiya Racer to Infinity and Beyond!"
maxepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 02:48 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I was never really tied to a particular brand until I owned a Tamiya. My first Tamiya was a TB EVO IV, which was a great car, but it's a little bit too "luxurious" for a person that still is a novice touring car driver like me. I then sold that and got the TA-04 Pro, which so far has been my favorite so far. Bought the TT-01 for the sake of it but it will probably be gone because it's not quite race material. I just finished building my TA-05 and I hope it's at least as good as the TA-04. I love Tamiyas because of their build quality and their suspension setups are great (I love those TRF blue dampeners!).