Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's so special about Tamiya?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 10:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks to all who have replied. You guys have given me your great insight into this phenomenon. From what I can tell, the Tamiya fans seem closely related to Mac fans. Both are small groups of individuals fervently committed to buying a product that is manufactured by companies dedicated to the refinement of their particular goods, even though function has taken a backseat to form.

Now, to be fair, I'm not new to Tamiya. I have built several static models from Tamiya and for a while, my son was into Mini-4WDs. Also, my first R/C car was a Rough Rider I bought second-hand at a garage sale in the early '80s. It even came with a "state-of-the-art" Futaba transmitter that was the size and shape of your normal stick transmitter, but had a wheel in the middle for steering and a toggle on the side for throtle. I think my dad still has the car somewhere in his basement - I'll have to go hunting for it some day.

With regards to Tamiya's famed suspension, I already run TRF shocks (dampers) on my TC4s, so I'm already sold on those. But, I've just been getting an itch to try a Tamiya R/C again. I don't know why - couldn't tell you. Maybe its just plain intrigue.

AND yes, being a state with a winter season, carpet racing is standard. Summer is for off-road outdoors; Fall, Winter, and Spring is on-road indoors. So, any touring car I'll be racing will be on carpet on foams. This has me a little concerned about the competitiveness of Tamiya on carpet.

BTW, with regards to the TCS, the fellows at Tamiya America don't seem to be interested in promoting their products up here in the Motor City, even though Tamiya Canada has tons of TCS races in Ontario. Maybe I'll have to make a run for the border.

So, I'm thinking, maybe I should just dive right back in and get a TA-05. That way, I can experience the whole "upgrade transformation" thing. What do you think?
Old 07-19-2005, 10:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
A-ko.. havent been in my pit lately huh? plenty of rice there!
Just as long as it is not Tamiya Red or Tamiya Blue

Originally Posted by RandomFellow
Tamiya Canada has tons of TCS races in Ontario. Maybe I'll have to make a run for the border.
They run a little bit different rules but it is still TONS of TCS racing and Great Fun! ! ! Its a haul for me I want to do it again!
Old 07-19-2005, 11:55 PM
Tech Addict

my son was into Mini-4WDs.

Can I race my 4WD with your son, .....pretty please ?

So, I'm thinking, maybe I should just dive right back in and get a TA-05. That way, I can experience the whole "upgrade transformation" thing. What do you think?

Heck ! .....go for it ! I'm VERY sure you wun regret it.
I believe Tamiya started the whole touring cars racing thingy back in the early 80s with their TA01 series or cars !
Old 07-20-2005, 05:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Thanks to all who have replied. You guys have given me your great insight into this phenomenon. From what I can tell, the Tamiya fans seem closely related to Mac fans. Both are small groups of individuals fervently committed to buying a product that is manufactured by companies dedicated to the refinement of their particular goods, even though function has taken a backseat to form.

Now, to be fair, I'm not new to Tamiya. I have built several static models from Tamiya and for a while, my son was into Mini-4WDs. Also, my first R/C car was a Rough Rider I bought second-hand at a garage sale in the early '80s. It even came with a "state-of-the-art" Futaba transmitter that was the size and shape of your normal stick transmitter, but had a wheel in the middle for steering and a toggle on the side for throtle. I think my dad still has the car somewhere in his basement - I'll have to go hunting for it some day.

With regards to Tamiya's famed suspension, I already run TRF shocks (dampers) on my TC4s, so I'm already sold on those. But, I've just been getting an itch to try a Tamiya R/C again. I don't know why - couldn't tell you. Maybe its just plain intrigue.

AND yes, being a state with a winter season, carpet racing is standard. Summer is for off-road outdoors; Fall, Winter, and Spring is on-road indoors. So, any touring car I'll be racing will be on carpet on foams. This has me a little concerned about the competitiveness of Tamiya on carpet.

BTW, with regards to the TCS, the fellows at Tamiya America don't seem to be interested in promoting their products up here in the Motor City, even though Tamiya Canada has tons of TCS races in Ontario. Maybe I'll have to make a run for the border.

I didn't notice you're from Rochester Hills....

Don't get your hopes up on TCS in Ontario helping you out...There is almost NO Tamiya presence this side of Toronto...

There is one small shop in London, Ontario holding a few parts and there have been no TCS races to my knowledge this side of Toronto.

I'm guessing you'll be doing much of your racing at Larry's in Sterling Heights? If so, you're a lucky fellow, as Larry's seems to have parts for just about everything on the wall.

I'm normally racing and supporting my local shop just outside Windsor, but I still try to make it to Larry's to race (and shop) a couple times a year, just because it's like an RC supermarket....
Old 07-20-2005, 06:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Well for me i like Tamiya as it is affordable but NOT the hop up parts and u need a lot of time to shim this file that sand here than put the parts together. But all the Tamiya cars are as durable at my X-Ray but X-Ray cost a lot more here.

Well just go and get what u like. I like Tamiya and X-Ray so buy both brand
Old 07-20-2005, 09:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Windsorguy99
I'm guessing you'll be doing much of your racing at Larry's in Sterling Heights? If so, you're a lucky fellow, as Larry's seems to have parts for just about everything on the wall.
Yeah, Larry's (http://www.larrysperformancercs.com) is where it's at in the metro area. Nothing in the Summer for racing, but during the school year, we have racing twice a week with a pretty big turnout. Rcscrewz.com opened up their own track recently down in Livonia and even though its a nicer facility, its a bit out of the way and has a limited stock of parts.

Larry's does carry some Tamiya and whatever I should need, I'm sure they can order it for me. Larry himself is a huge fan of the Tamiya Minis, even though we don't race a Mini class. I'm sure there would be more interest in Tamiya if we had a TCS racing series (note to Tamiya America - call Larry's )
Old 07-20-2005, 10:07 AM
Tech Addict

Yeah, Larry's (http://www.larrysperformancercs.com) is where it's at in the metro area. Nothing in the Summer for racing, but during the school year, we have racing twice a week with a pretty big turnout. Rcscrewz.com opened up their own track recently down in Livonia and even though its a nicer facility, its a bit out of the way and has a limited stock of parts.

Larry's does carry some Tamiya and whatever I should need, I'm sure they can order it for me. Larry himself is a huge fan of the Tamiya Minis, even though we don't race a Mini class. I'm sure there would be more interest in Tamiya if we had a TCS racing series (note to Tamiya America - call Larry's )

Note to Larry, Call Tamiya. He has run TCS races in the past at his old facility.

Hey, my Evo IV MS with Kai chassis is up for grabs. You can't get any Blingier that that car.

Gotta get ready for the carpet season also and I don't wanna put Pro4 parts on the car to run foams.

Tim
Old 07-20-2005, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ghostfit
I believe Tamiya started the whole touring cars racing thingy back in the early 80s with their TA01 series or cars !
TA01's were '90's - 91's. And they came stock with a driver interior back then too.

Prior was the pan car style like my first kit, the Porsche 956 Racing Master from '86.