R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-19-2005, 02:19 PM   #46
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Ko
If I am an adopted filipino does that count? Surprised you guys don't make rice at the track...
A-ko.. havent been in my pit lately huh? plenty of rice there!
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 02:34 PM   #47
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to odawg315

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomFellow
I guess what I'm getting at is this: For US$300, I can get an HPI RS4 Pro or a Yokomo MR-4TC SD. For US$350, I can get a JRX-s. For US$375, I can get a FT TC4, a T1FK05, or a Corally RDX. BUT, for a wopping US$475, I can get a TRF415 MS. The pricing for parts is also very similar, with Tamiya being far more money than any other manufacturer.
last time i check you can get a trf415 from speedtech for $349, the ms is a totaly hopped up version, different chasis, aftermarket bulkhead, other stuff as well. you can be more than competative with a regular 415.
odawg315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 02:40 PM   #48
Tech Master

i heard speedtechrc.com won't have any ms kits coming in anymore... . If they did it would make my BD vs. 415 problem easier.
axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 04:07 PM   #49
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default foams, rice, and tamiya's.

Quote:
If I am an adopted filipino does that count? Surprised you guys don't make rice at the track...
Plenty of rice available...

R/C is really Rice Cooker

--------

side note...a stock suspension 415 will run 28mm foams no problem. and on the LW suspension you just need to change 1 part....the front knuckels.

Old 07-19-2005, 04:14 PM   #50
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to odawg315

tower is the last i know of that has the ms, only a phew left, limited edition.
odawg315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 05:31 PM   #51
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Tamiya has a "cult" following. Or I should say "Loyal" following. That's one of the reasons why you see so many people talking about them and collecting, etc.

Me, my first "official" "kit" RC car was the Tamiya Hornet. My first Touring car was the TA03. I started with Tamiya, so it's kinda like a family thingy.. hehe.

I too love the TCS racing. It's great and exciting. I get to visit at least 2 different tracks every year. Eventually I'd like to make it out to Cali for the Nationals and meet a couple flips.. hehe.. Actually I'm from Okinawa and a military brat. I'm an Okiboy! We called phillipino's flips too. So it's not a cali thing. I have plenty of good friends who are Phillipino. So don't mean to offend any of them...

Anyways, Tamiya makes great kits for everyone out there. Their TRF line of 415 cars are great. The 415 and 415MS comes with all the swaybars and suspension blocks that you need for tuning. All that is needed is the spring set. The 415 original also has one of the strongest suspensions out there. So it was a very durable car. And can be had at a great price too.

They even have the TB Evolution line for those who love shaft cars. They don't come with all the niceties as the TRF cars. But still it's a work of art. And who says you can't mount 28mm tires on an EvoIV? I have with all Tamiya parts too. You just need Parma foams, 6mm wheel hexes, some wheel shims, and short suspension blocks.

Tamiya just has a loyal following. And some may hate this... TRF likes to come out with newer or improved versions of their cars every 6 months. But for the collector/enthusiast... that's great. Keeps them excited about the newest latest greatest thing.. hehe... To those that just want to settle down... well... AE and Losi are good for that (that's one reason why they make great cars as well, tested and developed).... The US market tends to be slower than the other markets who want that hot new item...

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 05:34 PM   #52
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilRuf
Tamiya has a "cult" following. Or I should say "Loyal" following. That's one of the reasons why you see so many people talking about them and collecting, etc.

Me, my first "official" "kit" RC car was the Tamiya Hornet. My first Touring car was the TA03. I started with Tamiya, so it's kinda like a family thingy.. hehe.

I too love the TCS racing. It's great and exciting. I get to visit at least 2 different tracks every year. Eventually I'd like to make it out to Cali for the Nationals and meet a couple flips.. hehe.. Actually I'm from Okinawa and a military brat. I'm an Okiboy! We called phillipino's flips too. So it's not a cali thing. I have plenty of good friends who are Phillipino. So don't mean to offend any of them...

Anyways, Tamiya makes great kits for everyone out there. Their TRF line of 415 cars are great. The 415 and 415MS comes with all the swaybars and suspension blocks that you need for tuning. All that is needed is the spring set. The 415 original also has one of the strongest suspensions out there. So it was a very durable car. And can be had at a great price too.

They even have the TB Evolution line for those who love shaft cars. They don't come with all the niceties as the TRF cars. But still it's a work of art. And who says you can't mount 28mm tires on an EvoIV? I have with all Tamiya parts too. You just need Parma foams, 6mm wheel hexes, some wheel shims, and short suspension blocks.

Tamiya just has a loyal following. And some may hate this... TRF likes to come out with newer or improved versions of their cars every 6 months. But for the collector/enthusiast... that's great. Keeps them excited about the newest latest greatest thing.. hehe... To those that just want to settle down... well... AE and Losi are good for that (that's one reason why they make great cars as well, tested and developed).... The US market tends to be slower than the other markets who want that hot new item...
one of the main reasons i would choose the 415 over the BD would be the tamiya community and the TRF drivers. They have alot of talented drivers and tamiya guys seem to be close.
axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 05:41 PM   #53
Tech Elite

Yeah, I actually race the Yokomo BD right now and just sold my 415 "original" for $200 to my friend. I still have my EvoIV and a TA05 (with tons of hopups) on the way. Gotta keep Tamiya in my blood!!! But I'm also partial to Yokomo as well. Gotta have at least one Yokomo and one Tamiya car in my stable... I'm sure when the 416 is announced... I'll have one of those too.

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 06:35 PM   #54
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

What so special?

Tamiya is always at the fore front...and the quality are very high even with the plastic products.

and oh yah! They share there very own track with other rc companies for the benefit of the hobby.

Oh yah!

like what my teammate said .... TRIP TO JAPAN!
Old 07-19-2005, 06:44 PM   #55
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

One more! Free Track Time for Tamiya Users every Saturday. Common over.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:54 PM   #56
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to COLEKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki
A-ko.. havent been in my pit lately huh? plenty of rice there!

Last time I plug in the rice cooker it false peaked the whole team

Team TAOB 2004
COLEKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 08:16 PM   #57
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyracer

and oh yah! They share there very own track with other rc companies for the benefit of the hobby.

THEY DO ????SINCE WHEN ?????????

'OL BUZZARD FARMING (lol)

Last edited by howard hudson; 07-19-2005 at 09:54 PM.
howard hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 09:15 PM   #58
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to josh69162

My first experience with Tamiya sucked. My friend got a Mad Fighter, and what a piece that was. It ended being a RadioShack car that was twice the price! The shocks looked like they were bought at RadioShack, the plastic was extremely brittle, and it was overall junk. I'm very partial to HPI. My first car was an HPI RS4 3, and then I picked up a Pro2 a little over a year ago with a JR XR2 for 90 bucks. I went to my first HPI Challenge a year ago, and:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki
I'm sure HPI has the same type of following with their HPI Challenge.
Oh, do they ever. Being 14, I expected to be the low man on the totem pole, but no one cared about anything. Everyone was there to relax and have a blast. My car was glitching, and a guy I met there gave me a motor with surface mounted caps to help stop it. Everyone is really nice, and no one cares who wins. I just started talking to a guy who I raced with, and were gonna meet at the new track that just opened. I never thought a grown man would want to race with a teenager. I just picked up a Pro4, and I can't wait for the next Challenge to roll around. From what I hear, the TCS races and the HPI Challenges sound very similar. But it didn't matter which TC kit I ended up getting. My LHS has nothing for TC's, since they are all about offroad and RTR kits, mostly Traxxas stuff (they don't even have 64 pitch gears...). And I think some people over emphasize parts support. If you really like a car, mail ordering is getting to be so fast with shippers often times beating their garuntees, making it not a big deal if you have exotic cars. You'll be a lot less happy if you end up with a car you feel is mediocre to the car you really wanted at heart. Price is a small issue. No matter what, we all have budgets, and we always manage to buy what we need.
I guess what I'm getting at is buy a car you will be happy with, no matter the price. If it is more expensive, all you have to do is save money a little longer. You will be happier in the long run...
-Josh
josh69162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 10:46 PM   #59
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyracer
One more! Free Track Time for Tamiya Users every Saturday. Common over.
I've gotta admit, if I lived in the area I would seriously consider buying a Tamiya TC specifically so I could use their track. That place looks like R/C heaven!
mwcet8k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 11:27 PM   #60
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My first car was a Tamiya TL-01. That car was indestructible. I race for 1.5 years with it, and the only thing I broke was I stripped the gear next to the pinion. This is one thing that makes Tamiya good. Cars for both the novices (like I was) to the pros.